Conflict of interest: None declared.
Paediatricians should do more to address male adolescent sexual health
Version of Record online: 26 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Author. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health © 2014 Paediatrics and Child Health Division (Royal Australasian College of Physicians)
Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health
Volume 51, Issue 3, pages 255–258, March 2015
How to Cite
Zehetner, A. A. (2015), Paediatricians should do more to address male adolescent sexual health. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 51: 255–258. doi: 10.1111/jpc.12676
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2015
- Version of Record online: 26 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAY 2014
- 2U.S. adolescents receive suboptimal preventive counselling during ambulatory care. J. Adolesc. Health 2005; 36: 441.e1–441.e7., , .
- 4Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. 2011. Young Australians: their health and wellbeing 2011. Cat. no. PHE 140 Canberra: AIHW.
- 5Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Youth risk behavior surveillance: United States, 2009. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010; 59 (SS–5): 1–142. Available from: www.cdc.gov/HealthyYouth/yrbs/index.htm [accessed 10 January 2014].
- 6AIHW. 2012. Australia's health 2012. Australia's health no. 13. Cat. no. AUS 156. Canberra: AIHW.
- 82010. Age of onset of selected pubertal characteristics: cross-sectional data from non-Hispanic white boys [abstract]. Available from: http://www.aap.org/en-us/professional-resources/Research/Pages/Age-of-Onset-of-Selected-Pubertal-Characteristics-Cross-Sectional-Data-from-Non-Hispanic-Boys.aspx [accessed 10 January 2014]., , et al.
- 11Links between pubertal timing, peer influences, and externalizing behaviors among urban students followed through middle school. J. Adolesc. Health 2007; 40: 181.e7–181.e13., , , , .
- 14Andrology Australia Testicular Self-Examination Factsheet, 2012. Available from: https://www.andrologyaustralia.org/keeping-healthy/tse/ [accessed 10 January 2014]..
- 152012. Available from: http://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2012/03/28/private-screening-and-self-examination-doing-more-harm-good [accessed 10 January 2014]., , .
- 17Royal Australasian College of Physicians. 2010. Circumcision RACP Position Statement. Available from: www.racp.edu.au/page/policy-and-advocacy/paediatrics-and-child-health [accessed 10 January 2014].
- 19ADHD Meds Linked to Priapism, Prompts FDA Warning, Label Change, 2013. Available from: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/817936 [accessed 10 January 2014].
- 20Australian Government Department of Health. The Child Dental Benefits Schedule. 2014. Available from: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/child-dental-benefits-schedule [accessed 10 January 2014].
- 23Parent-child communication about sexuality: a review of the literature from 1980–2002. J HIV/ AIDS Prev Educ Adolesc Child 2003; 5: 7–32., , .
- 24Kaiser Family Foundation. National Surveys of Adolescents and Young Adults: Sexual Health, Knowledge, Attitudes and Experiences. Menlo Park, CA: Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, 2003. Available from:: http://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/national-survey-of-adolescents-and-young-adults.pdf [accessed 10 January 2014].,
- 26NSW CAAH (2013), Youth Friendly General Practice Training Toolkit, NSW Centre for the Advancement of Adolescent Health, The Children's Hospital at Westmead, Sydney.
- 27American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). Committee on adolescence. Policy statement: condom use by adolescents. Pediatrics 2013; 132: 973–981. Available from: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/08/07/peds.2012-3414 [accessed 10 January 2014]. originally published online October 28, 2013. DOI: 10.1542/peds.2013-2821
- 29American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on psychosocial aspects of child and family health and committee on adolescence. Sexuality education for children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2001; 108: 498–502.
- 31Teenagers in the United States: sexual activity, contraceptive use, and childbearing, 2002. Vital Health Stat. 23 2004; 24: 1–48., , , .