- Burnout and work engagement are two sides of one coin, two opposite poles related not only to how workers personally experience their jobs but also to how they experience their jobs within the context of work teams/groups.
- Engaged workers have a lot of energy, are very enthusiastic about their jobs and are absorbed by their work.
- Nurses’ job performance in hospitals, including psychiatric hospitals, is dependent upon their relationships with physicians and other healthcare workers and their superiors, how they are involved in the decisions about their work and whether or not they are provided with the right resources and adequate support.
- When nursing teams are able to perform well, nurses tend to be more engaged and satisfied with their jobs and are more willing to stay in their positions.
- Engaged nursing teams report better quality of patient care in psychiatric hospitals.