Improving forensic mental health care to Indigenous Australians: theorizing the intercultural space
Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 296–302, May 2014
How to Cite
Durey, A., Wynaden, D. and O'Kane, M. (2014), Improving forensic mental health care to Indigenous Australians: theorizing the intercultural space. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 21: 296–302. doi: 10.1111/jpm.12105
- Issue online: 1 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUL 2013
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2009) Prisoners in Australia. Cat. No. 4517.0. ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2012) Census of Population and Housing – Counts of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2011, 2076.0. ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council – Standing Committee for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Working Party (2004) Cultural Respect Framework for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health. Department of Health, South Australia, Adelaide.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2010) The Health of Australia's Prisoners 2009. AIHW, Canberra.
- 2012) The Location of Culture. Taylor and Francis, Oxford. (
- 2006) The forensic mental health nurse – a literature review. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 13, 780–785. (
- 2010) An ethnographic study of forensic nursing culture in an Australian prison hospital. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 17, 39–45. , , , et al. (
- 2008) Cultural continuity as a protective factor against suicide in First Nation's youth. Horizons: Special Issue on Aboriginal Youth, Hope Or Heartbreak: Aboriginal Youth and Canada's Future 10, 68–72. & (
- 2004) How stigma interferes with mental health care. American Psychologist 59, 614–625. (
- 2001) Critical Race Theory. New York University Press, New York. & (
- Department of Corrective Services (2010) Annual Report 2009/2010. State Government of Western Australia, Perth.
- 2006) Third spaces within tertiary places: indigenous Australian studies. Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology 16, 396–409. & (
- 2010) Reducing racism in Aboriginal health care in Australia: where does cultural education fit? Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 34, S87–S92. (
- 2012) ‘Owning solutions’: a collaborative model to improve quality in hospital care for Aboriginal Australians. Nursing Inquiry 19, 144–152. , , , et al. (
- Improving forensic mental health care for Aboriginal Australians – challenges and opportunities. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. , , , et al. (in press)
- 2005) American Indian/Alaska native alcohol-related incarceration and treatment. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research 13, 1–22. , & (
- 2001) Correctional nurses perceptions of their role, training requirements and prisoner health care needs. Journal of Correctional Health Care 8, 67–85. & (
- 2008) Prison health and public health responses at a regional prison in Western Australia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 32, 549–553. , , , et al. (
- 2007) Minimizing the influence of unconscious bias in evaluations: a practical guide. The Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 35, 60–66. (
- 2005) Stigma of mental illness among American Indian and Alaska Native Nations: historical and contemporary perspectives. Issues in Mental Health Nursing 26, 1001–1024. (
- 2007) Jail nurses: perceptions, stigmatization, and working styles in correctional health care. Journal of Correctional Health Care 13, 196–205. , & (
- 2010) Barriers and facilitators to the utilization of adult mental health services by Australia's Indigenous people: seeking a way forward. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing 19, 75–82. , , , et al. (
- 2012) The impact of Indigenous status on adult sentencing: a review of the statistical research literature from the United States, Canada and Australia. Journal of Ethnicity in Criminal Justice 10, 223–243. & (
- 2009) The spectrum of ‘new racism’ and discrimination in hospital contexts. Collegian 16, 63–69. & (
- 2011) Forensic nursing educational development: an integrated review of the literature. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 18, 236–246. (
- 1978) Culture, illness and care: clinical lessons from anthropologic and cross-cultural research. Annals of Internal Medicine 88, 251–258. , & (
- 2008) The politics of the gap: Indigenous Australians, liberal multiculturalism, and the end of the self-determination era. American Anthropologist 110, 338–348. (
- 2011) The stigma of white privilege: Australian anti-racists and Indigenous improvement. Cultural Studies 25, 313–333. (
- 2011) Invited editorial: ageing research directions for Australia. Australasian Journal on Ageing 30, 1–3. (
- 2009) Talkin’ Up to the White Woman. University of Queensland Press, Brisbane. (
- 2012) Decolonial goals and pedagogies for Indigenous studies. Decolonization: Indigeneity, Education & Society 1, 120–140. , , , et al. (
- NSW Corrections Health Service (2002) National statement of principles for forensic mental health. Available at: http://www.health.wa.gov.au/mhareview/resources/documents/FINAL_VERSION_OF_NATIONAL_PRINCIPLES_FOR_FMH-Aug_2002.pdf (accessed 4 August 2012).
- 2008) The Impact of Racism on Indigenous Health in Australia and Aotearoa: Towards a Research Agenda. Discussion paper No 4. CRCAH Discussion Paper Series – ISSN 1834-156X. Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, Darwin. , & (
- 2010) Undoing Privilege: Unearned Advantage in a Divided World. Zed Books, London. (
- 2009) The Incarceration of Aboriginal People in Adult Correctional Services. Minister of Industry, Ottawa, Canada. (
- 2005) The role of critical consciousness in multicultural practice: examining how its strength becomes its limitation. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 75, 684–694. & (
- 2009) Cultural competency as the new racism: an ontology of forgetting. Journal of Progressive Human Services 20, 59–71. (
- Queensland Health (2006) Promoting Balance in Forensic Mental Health Services Final Report 2006: Review of Queensland Mental Health Act 2000. The State of Queensland – Queensland Health, Brisbane.
- 2002) Cultural Safety and Nursing Education in Aotearoa and Te Waipounamu. Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand. (
- 2003) The incarceration of Aboriginal Offenders: trends from 1978 to 2001. Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice 45, 211–242. & (
- 1990) The third space. Interview with Homi Bhabha. In: Identity: Community, Culture, Difference (ed Ders, H. ), pp. 207–221. Lawrence and Wishart, London. (
- 2007) An anti-oppressive approach to cultural competence. Canadian Social Work Review 24, 105–114. (
- Senate Select Committee on Mental Health (2006) National Approach to Mental Health: From Crisis to Community – Final Report. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
- 2009) Exploration of the beliefs and experiences of Aboriginal people with cancer in Western Australia: a methodology to acknowledge cultural difference and build understanding. BMC Medical Research Methodology 9, 60. , , , et al. (
- 2009) Psychiatric civil and forensic inpatient satisfaction with care: the impact of provider and recipient characteristics. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 44, 979–987. , & (
- 2003) Does ethnicity affect need for mental health service among New Zealand prisoners? Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 37, 728–734. , , , et al. (
- 2005) Nurses’ experience of caring for inmate patients. Journal of Advanced Nursing 49, 336–343. (