The effects of group psychoeducational programme on family burden in caregivers of Iranian patients with schizophrenia
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 438–446, June 2014
How to Cite
Fallahi Khoshknab, M., Sheikhona, M., Rahgouy, A., Rahgozar, M. and Sodagari, F. (2014), The effects of group psychoeducational programme on family burden in caregivers of Iranian patients with schizophrenia. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 21: 438–446. doi: 10.1111/jpm.12107
- Issue published online: 14 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUL 2013
- University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- family burden;
- group therapy;
- This randomized-controlled trial investigated the effect of group psychoeducation therapy on family burden in caregivers of Iranian patients with schizophrenia.
- Results of this study on 71 caregivers of patients with schizophrenia showed that a 4-week group psychoeducational programme was significantly effective in reducing family burden by more than one third.
- Findings showed that group psychoeducational programme for caregiver and family of patients with schizophrenia is beneficial for reducing family burden.
This study was aimed at assessing the impact of group psychoeducation therapy on family burden in caregivers of Iranian patients with schizophrenia during the acute phase of the disease. Using a randomized-controlled trial design, 71 caregivers of patients with schizophrenia were randomly assigned to either a 4-week group psychoeducational programme (n = 36) or the control group (n = 35). Family burden was assessed by Family Burden Index Schedule (FBIS) at the beginning, and after a month of psychoeducation therapy as a follow-up. FBIS assesses family burden in six different dimensions with score ranging from 0 to 48, higher scores indicating higher burdens. At baseline mean, FBIS score was not significantly different between the cases and the controls. After the intervention, the mean total FBIS score was significantly lower in the case group compared with the control group (P < 0.001). In the intervention group, FBIS score change was significant through the study in all dimensions as well as the total score (P < 0.001). A significant reduction in family burden has been achieved by implementing group psychoeducational programmes for inpatients with acute phase schizophrenia in Iranian population.