Copyright changed July 3, 2014
Curvature in models of the photosynthesis-irradiance response
Article first published online: 7 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors Journal of Phycology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of Phycological Society of America.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Journal of Phycology
Volume 50, Issue 2, pages 341–355, April 2014
How to Cite
Jones, C. T., Craig, S. E., Barnett, A. B., MacIntyre, H. L., Cullen, J. J. (2014), Curvature in models of the photosynthesis-irradiance response. Journal of Phycology, 50: 341–355. doi: 10.1111/jpy.12164
- Issue published online: 31 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 7 MAR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 JAN 2014 01:30PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 APR 2013
- 1932. Kinetics of photosynthesis in Chlorella. Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol. 3:124–7.
- 1996. Remote sensing of sea surface sun-induced chl fluorescence: consequences of natural variations in the optical characteristics of phytoplankton and the quantum yield of chl a fluorescence. Int. J. Remote Sens. 17:2417–48. , &
- 1935. The kinetics of photosynthesis. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 117:218–39.
- 1974. Production equations in terms of chl concentration, quantum yield, and upper limit to production. Limnol. Oceanogr. 19:1–12.
- 1979. Quantitative description of steady state, nutrient-saturated algal growth, including adaptation. Limnol. Oceanogr. 24:76–96.
- 1999. In vitro O2 fluxes compared with 14C production and other rate terms during the JGOFS Equitorial Pacific experiment. Deep Sea Res. 46:637–54. , , , &
- 1989. Photoadaptation and the “package” effect in Dunaliella tertiolecta (Chlorophyceae). J. Phycol. 25:70–8. , , &
- 1905. Optima and limiting factors. Ann. Bot. 19:281–95.
- 1981. Simulating light-saturation curves for photosynthesis and calcification by reef-building corals. Mar. Biol. 63:135–41.
- 2002. Assessment of the relationships between dominant cell size in natural phytoplankton communities and the spectral shape of the absorption coefficient. Limnol. Oceanogr. 47:404–17. , &
- 1996. An interior trust region approach for nonlinear minimization subject to bounds. SIAM J. Optim. 6:418–45. &
- 1990. On models of growth and photosynthesis in phytoplankton. Deep Sea Res. 37:667–83.
- 2012. Spectral model of depth-integrated water column photosynthesis and its inhibition by ultraviolet radiation. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 26:GB1011. , &
- 1988. The kinetics of algal photoadaptation in the context of vertical mixing. J. Plankton Res. 10:1039–63. &
- 1992a. Biological weighting function for the inhibition of phytoplankton photosynthesis by ultraviolet radiation. Science 258:646–50. , &
- 1992b. Nutrient limitation of marine photosynthesis. In Falkowski, P. G. & Woodhead, A. [Eds.] Primary Productivity and Biogeochemical Cycles in the Sea. Plenum, New York, pp. 69–88. , &
- 1986. Light harvesting and utilization by phytoplankton. Plant Cell Physiol. 27:1335–49. , &
- 1956. The flattening of the absorption spectrum of suspensions, as compared to that of solutions. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 19:1–12.
- 1981. Light–shade adaptation and assimilation numbers. J. Plankton Res. 3:203–16.
- 2007. Aquatic Photosynthesis, 2nd ed. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 484 pp. &
- 1983. Photosynthetic response of phytoplankton to light: a physiological model. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 219:355–70. &
- 2003. Do we need complex mechanistic photoacclimation models for phytoplankton? Limnol. Oceanogr. 48:2243–9.
- 1993. Lack of agreement among models for estimating the photosynthetic parameters. Limnol. Oceanogr. 38:679–87. , , &
- 2009. Assessing the uncertainties of model estimates of primary productivity in the tropical Pacific Ocean. J. Mar. Syst. 76:113–33. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. A dynamic regulatory model of phytoplanktonic acclimation to light, nutrients, and temperature. Limnol. Oceanogr. 43:679–694. , &
- 2001. Photosynthesis-irradiance response at physiological level: a mechanistic model. J. Theor. Biol. 213:121–7.
- 2000. Effect of photoinhibition on algal photosynthesis: a dynamic model. J. Plankton Res. 22:865–85. , , &
- 1993. Measurement and interpretation of photosynthetic light-response curves in algae in the context of photoinhibition and diel changes. J. Phycol. 29:729–39.
- 2007. Stochastic parallel processing can shape photosynthesis-irradiance curves in phytoplankton—the Q model. Hydrobiologia 592:315–28.
- 1975. The relationship between light intensity and photosynthesis by phytoplankton. Results of experiments at three stations in the coastal waters of Nova Scotia. Fisheries Marine Service Technical Report. Environment Canada, Fisheries and Marine Service, Ottawa, Canada, 205 pp. , , &
- 1976. Mathematical formulation of the relationship between photosynthesis and light for phytoplankton. Limnol. Oceanogr. 21:540–7. &
- 1964. Etude cinétique de la réaction photochimique libérant l'oxygène au cours de la photosynthèsis. Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires Des Seances De L Academie Des Sciences 258:4622–5. &
- 1998. Measurements of variable chlorophyll fluorescence using fast repetition rate techniques: defining methodology and experimental protocols. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 1367:88–106. , &
- 1991. Chl fluorescence and photosynthesis: the basics. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 42:313–49. &
- 1972. A connected model of the photosynthetic unit. Biophys. J . 12:815–31. &
- 1982. Absolute absorption cross-section for photosystem II and the minimum quantum requirement for photosynthesis in Chlorella vulgaris. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 680:95–106. &
- 1999. Temperature regulation of nitrate uptake: a novel hypothesis about nitrate uptake and reduction in cool-water diatoms. Limnol. Oceanogr. 44:556–72. &
- 1994. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis in nature. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. 45:633–62. , &
- 1996. Regulation of Rubisco activity and its potential effect on photosynthesis during mixing in a turbid estuary. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 144:247–64. &
- 2001. Light absorption by phytoplankton: development of a matching parameter for algal photosynthesis under different spectral regimes. J. Plankton Res. 23:1373–84. &
- 1978. Effect of short-term variation in light intensity on photosynthesis of a marine phytoplankter: a laboratory simulation study. Mar. Biol. 46:191–202.
- 1989. The optical cross section and absolute size of a photosynthetic unit. Photosynth. Res. 10:163–70.
- 2008. Optical properties of microalgae for enhanced biofuels production. Opt. Express 16:21807–20. &
- 1949. The growth of bacterial cultures. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 3:371–94.
- 1978. Available, usable, and stored radiant energy in relation to marine photosynthesis. Deep Sea Res. 25:673–88.
- 1981. Theoretical results concerning light absorption in a discrete medium, and application to specific absorption of phytoplankton. Deep Sea Res. 28:1375–93. &
- 1987. Photoinhibition and the diurnal-variation of phytoplankton photosynthesis. 1. Development of a photosynthesis-irradiance model from studies of in situ responses. J. Plankton Res. 9:167–93. &
- 1980. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis in natural assemblages of marine phytoplankton. J. Mar. Res. 38:687–701. , &
- 1988. Oceanic primary production and available light: further algorithms for remote sensing. Deep Sea Res. 35:855–79. , , &
- 2012. Modeling xanthophyll photoprotective activity in phytoplankton. J. Plankton Res. 349:196–207. , , , , &
- 2008. Model for photosynthesis and photoinhibition: parameter identification based on harmonic irradiation O2 response measurement. IEEE Trans. Automat. Control. SI:101–8. , &
- 1957. The estimation of phytoplankton production in the ocean from chl and light data. Limnol. Oceanogr. 2:281–6. &
- 2010. Challenges of modeling depth-integrated marine primary productivity over multiple decades: a case study at BATS and HOT. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 24:GB3020. , , , , , , et al.
- 1936. Photosynthesis in relation to light and carbon dioxide. Physiology 23:504–510.
- 1957. The phytoplankton population as a compound photosynthetic system. New Phytol. 56:133–49.
- 1998. Dynamic model of leaf photosynthesis with acclimation to light and nitrogen. Ann. Bot. Lond. 81:421–30.
- 1974. Carbon dioxide exchange of Alnus rubra. A mathematical model. Oecologia (Berl) 17:281–91. , &
- 1991. Overall planktonic oxygen and carbon dioxide metabolisms: the problem of reconciling observations and calculations of photosynthetic quotients. J. Plankton Res. 13:s153–69. &
- 1997. Modeling the effects of photoadaptation on the photosynthesis-irradiance curve. J. Theor. Biol. 186:381–8.