Funding: This project was funded by the Veterans Affairs Office of Rural Health/VHA Midwest Rural Health Resource Center and by the National Institute of Nursing Research (R01- NR010700). The authors declare no conflicts of interest with respect to authorship and/or publication of this article. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the United States government.
Unique Factors Rural Veterans’ Affairs Hospitals Face When Implementing Health Care-Associated Infection Prevention Initiatives
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
The Journal of Rural Health
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 17–26, Winter 2014
How to Cite
Harrod, M., Manojlovich, M., Kowalski, C. P., Saint, S. and Krein, S. L. (2014), Unique Factors Rural Veterans’ Affairs Hospitals Face When Implementing Health Care-Associated Infection Prevention Initiatives. The Journal of Rural Health, 30: 17–26. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12024
Acknowledgments: The authors would like to thank Sandeep Vijan for his assistance with the site visit data collection, and clinical input. We also thank Peter Kaboli for his valuable feedback and suggestions on an earlier version of this manuscript. Thank you also to the participants of this study who shared their time, knowledge, and expertise with us.
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Veterans Affairs Office of Rural Health/VHA Midwest Rural Health Resource Center
- National Institute of Nursing Research. Grant Number: R01- NR010700
- 1Estimating health care-associated infections and deaths in U.S. hospitals, 2002. Public Health Rep. 2007;122:160-167., , , et al.
- 5Prioritizing patient safety interventions in small and rural hospitals. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2006;32(12):693-702., , , , .
- 6Inpatient stays in rural hospitals, 2007. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Statistical Brief #85; 2010. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb85.pdf. Accessed on September 6, 2012., , .
- 7Fast Facts on US Hospitals. American Hospital Association. Available at: http://www.aha.org/research/rc/stat-studies/101207fastfacts.pdf. 2012 Accessed on September 6, 2012.
- 8Comparing Patient Safety in Rural Hospitals by Bed Count. In: , , , , eds. Advances in Patient Safety: From Research to Implementation (Volume 1: Research Findings). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2005;391-404., , .
- 12Designing and Conducing Mixed Methods Research. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2011., .
- 13United States Census Bureau. Urban and Rural Classification. Available at: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/ua/urbanruralclass.html. Accessed on November 5, 2012.
- 15VAMC Facility Rurality: Comparison of Three Classification Approaches. Veterans Rural Health Resource Center-Central Region, Issue Brief #4; 2011. Available at: http://www.ruralhealth.va.gov/docs/KABOLI_Rural_Classification_FINAL_3-6-11.pdf. Accessed on February 29, 2012., .
- 18Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2002.
- 19A typology of mixed methods sampling designs in social science research. Qual Rep. 2007;12(2):281-316., .
- 21Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 1994., .
- 23Translating health care-associated urinary tract infection prevention research into practice via the bladder bundle. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2009;35:449-455., , , et al.
- 27Department of Veterans Affairs. VA Uses Technology to Provide Rural Veterans Greater Access to Specialty Care Services. Washington, DC: Office of Public Affairs Media Relations; July 10, 2012. Available at: http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2353. Accessed on September 6, 2012.
- 28Project ECHO. Available at: http://echo.unm.edu/. Accessed on September 6, 2012.
- 30Current trends in hospital mergers and acquisitions. Healthc Financ Manage. 2012;66(3):114-118, 120., , , , .