Funding: This publication was made possible with funding from the Appalachia Community Cancer Network (5 U54 CA 153604). The authors have no financial disclosures to report. The authors wish to acknowledge the Community Sciences and Health Outcomes Core of the Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute.
Health Care Avoidance Among Rural Populations: Results From a Nationally Representative Survey
Article first published online: 24 JUN 2013
© 2013 National Rural Health Association
The Journal of Rural Health
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 79–88, Winter 2014
How to Cite
Spleen, A. M., Lengerich, E. J., Camacho, F. T. and Vanderpool, R. C. (2014), Health Care Avoidance Among Rural Populations: Results From a Nationally Representative Survey. The Journal of Rural Health, 30: 79–88. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12032
For further information, contact: Angela M. Spleen, The Pennsylvania State University, 600 Centerview Drive, Suite 2200 Mailstop A210, Hershey, PA 17033-0855; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 24 JUN 2013
- Appalachia Community Cancer Network. Grant Number: 5 U54 CA 153604
- 1Healthcare avoidance: a critical review. Holist Nurs Pract. 2008;22(5):280-292..
- 15Rural Populations and Health: Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Wiley; 2012., , , .
- 17Rural Healthy People 2010: Publications. Available at: http://www.srph.tamhsc.edu/centers/rhp2010/default.htm. Accessed May 08, 2013.
- 18National Research Council. Quality Through Collaboration: The Future of Rural Health Care. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2005.
- 19Appalachia: where place matters in health. Prev Chronic Dis. 2006;3(4):A113., .
- 20Health Disparities: A Rural Urban Chartbook. Columbia, SC: South Carolina Rural Health Research Center; 2008., , .
- 21National Rural Health Association: About Rural Health. Available at: http://www.ruralhealthweb.org/go/left/about-rural-health/what-s-different-about-rural-health-care. Accessed May 08, 2013.
- 22Social context of rural women with HIV/AIDS. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2011;32(6):374-381., , , , .
- 26Health information national trends survey (hints) 2007 final report. National Cancer Institute; 2009., , , , , .
- 27Health Information National Trends Survey. 2003 Rural-Urban Continuum Code. 2007 Data. Available at: http://hints.cancer.gov/question-details.aspx?qid=968&dataset=2007&method=combined. Accessed May 08, 2013.
- 28Health Information National Trends Survey: Survey Instruments. Available at: http://hints.cancer.gov/instrument.aspx. Accessed May 08, 2013.
- 29Regression estimates and missing data: complete-case analysis. Technical Report, Harvard School of Public Health, Dept. of Biostatistics; 1986., .
- 33From the guest editors-rural america: a call for nurses to address mental health issues. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2002;23(3):183-189., .
- 34Engendering health: a social constructionist examination of men's health beliefs and behaviors. Psychol Men Masc. 2000;1(1):4-15..
- 35Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation: Overview of the Uninsured in the United States: A Summary of the 2011 Current Population Survey. Available at: http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/2011/cpshealthins2011/ib.shtml. Accessed May 08, 2013.
- 36HealthCare.gov: The Affordable Care Act, Section by Section. Available at: http://www.healthcare.gov/law/full/index.html. Accessed May 08, 2013.
- 37Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Patient Centered Medical Home Resource Center. Available at: http://pcmh.ahrq.gov/portal/server.pt/community/pcmh__home/1483/pcmh_home_v2. Accessed May 08, 2013.
- 38Patient-Centered Communication in Cancer Care: Promoting Healing and Reducing Suffering. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2007: NIH Publication No. 07–6225., .