Acknowledgments: The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare. The authors would like to thank the School of Public Health of Fudan University, Chinese Center for Health Education, College of Public Health of East Tennessee State University, and the Chinese Ministry of Health for supporting this research. The authors also thank Dr. Yi Ning, ScD, MD, MPH, for his thoughtful review of this manuscript.
Overweight and Obesity Difference of Chinese Population Between Different Urbanization Levels
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2013
© 2013 National Rural Health Association
The Journal of Rural Health
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 101–112, Winter 2014
How to Cite
Tian, X., Zhao, G., Li, Y., Wang, L. and Shi, Y. (2014), Overweight and Obesity Difference of Chinese Population Between Different Urbanization Levels. The Journal of Rural Health, 30: 101–112. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12041
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2013
- 1National Bureau of Statistics of China. 1–2 Principal aggregate indicators on national economic and social development and growth rates. Available at: http://www.stats.gov.cn/english/newsandcomingevents/t20100226_402623115.htm. Accessed March 21, 2013.
- 4Survey report on the Chinese national nutrition. Chin Sci Tech Ach. 2010;11(1):5-7., , , et al.
- 7What constitutes an obesogenic environment in rural communities? Am J Health Promot. 2006;20:411-421., , , .
- 8Urban and Rural Health Chartbook: Health, United States, 2001. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2001., , .
- 11Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Self-reported physical inactivity by degree of urbanization–United States, 1996. MMWR. 1998;47:1097-1100.
- 13Relationship between urban sprawl and physical activity, obesity, and morbidity. Am J Health Promot. 2003;18:47-57., , , , .
- 15Environmental and policy factors associated with overweight among adults in Missouri. Am J Health Promot. 2003;17:249-258., , .
- 16Environmental and lifestyle factors associated with overweight and obesity in Perth, Australia. Am J Health Promot. 2003;18:93-102., , , , .
- 18Surveillance plan of Chinese national nutrition and health. Chin J Epidemiol. 2005;26(7):471-474., , , , .
- 19World Health Organization (WHO). Expert Committee. Physical Status: The Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee, WHO Technical Report Series 854. Geneva: WHO;1995.
- 20World Health Organization. International classification of diseases (ICD). Available at: http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en./. Accessed March 3, 2010.
- 23Obesity and socioeconomic status: a framework for examining relationships between physical and social variables. Med Anthropol. 1992;13:231-247..
- 24An epidemiological investigation on overweight and obesity in adults from Tianjin City. Chin J Epidemiol. 2009;30(11):1147-1151., , , , .
- 25Chinese Center for Disease Control. Monitoring Report of Non-Communicable Chronic Diseases and Risk Factors (2007). Beijing: People's Health Publishing House; 2010.
- 26Prevalence and characteristic of overweight and obesity among adults in China. Chin J Prev Med. 2012;46(8):683-686., , , et al.
- 27Study on chronic disease related behavior and life-style in adults in Beijing. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2007;28(12):1162-1166., , , et al.
- 28Are waist circumference and body mass index independently associated with cardiovascular disease risk in Chinese adults? Am J Clin Nutr. 2005;82:185-202., , , , , .
- 35Changes of waist circumference distribution and the prevalence of abdominal adiposity among Chinese adults from 1993 to 2006. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2008;29(10):953-958., , , , .
- 36Chinese Ministry of Agriculture. Achievement of Chinese agriculture and rural economy in the period of 15th Planning. China Agriculture Yearly Book, 2006. Available at: http://www.moa.gov.cn/fwllm/sjfw/nynj/201006/P020100623546160507549.pdf. Accessed on February 20, 2013.
- 38The survey analysis of the health insurance compensation impact on the income of city community health center. Chin Health Econ. 2010;29(4):47-49., , .
- 39Thinking on construction and sustainable development of National Healthy City, and suggestions on it. Chin Health Serv Manage. 2011;28(1):76-77., , , .
- 40Chinese Ministry of Health. Notification of Maternal and Children's Health (2009). Available at: http://www.moh.gov.cn/zwgkzt/pndyd/201306. Accessed on February 20, 2013.
- 41Ministry of Health. Notice on the issuance of “universal health lifestyle action demonstration to create mentoring program” (Trial) (2009, No.825). Capital J Public Heath. 2010;4(1):2-4.
- 42Initiation of Chinese. Health communication plan by encouraging public media (News). Chin Pharm. 2005;16(3):236.
- 43Chinese Ministry of Health. Health Statistical Communique 2009. Available at: http://www.moh.gov.cn/zwgkzt/pwstj/list.shtml. Accessed on February 20, 2013.
- 44A comparison of primary healthcare service providing between urban and rural grassroots health centers. Chinese Journal of Health Informatics and Management. 2012;09(1):23-26., , , et al.
- 47Descriptive epidemiology of body weight and weight change in U.S. adults. Ann Intern Med. 1993;7:646-649..