Disclosures: The authors report no conflicts of interest.
Rural and Urban Primary Care Physician Professional Beliefs and Quality Improvement Behaviors
Version of Record online: 16 FEB 2014
© 2014 National Rural Health Association
The Journal of Rural Health
Volume 30, Issue 3, pages 235–243, Summer 2014
How to Cite
Kirchhoff, A. C., Hart, G. and Campbell, E. G. (2014), Rural and Urban Primary Care Physician Professional Beliefs and Quality Improvement Behaviors. The Journal of Rural Health, 30: 235–243. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12067
Funding: This study was supported by a grant from the Institute on Medicine as a Profession at Columbia University.
Acknowledgments: The authors thank Julia Bodson, Gina Nam, Echo Warner, and Daniel St. Hilaire for their assistance with data management and literature review during the writing of this manuscript.
- Issue online: 1 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 16 FEB 2014
- Institute on Medicine as a Profession at Columbia University
- 1ABIM Foundation. American Board of Internal Medicine; ACP-ASIM Foundation. American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine; European Federation of Internal Medicine Medical professionalism in the new millennium: a physician charter. Ann Internal Med. 2002;136(3):243-246.
- 7Institute of Medicine. Quality Through Collaboration: The Future of Rural Health. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2005.
- 8American Hospital Association. The Opportunities and Challenges for Rural Hospitals in an Era of Health Reform; 2011. Available at: www.aha.org/research/reports/tw/11apr-tw-rural.pdf. Accessed August 9, 2013.
- 19University of Washington Rural Health Research Center. Rural-Urban Commuting Area Codes (RUCAs). Available at: http://depts.washington.edu/uwruca./ Accessed August 9, 2013.
- 20United States Department of Agriculture. Rural-Urban Commuting Codes. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-commuting-area-codes.aspx#.UgUbbm0kAVC. Accessed August 9, 2013.
- 21Applied Survey Data Analysis, Boca Raton, FL: Chapman and Hall/CRC; 2010., , .
- 24Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National Healthcare Disparities Report: Chapter 4. Priority Populations: Residents of Rural Areas. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/nhqrdr/nhdr08/Chap4d.html. Accessed November 21, 2013.
- 25Profile of Rural Health Insurance Coverage; 2009. Available at: http://muskie.usm.maine.edu/Publications/rural/Rural-Health-Insurance-Chartbook-2009.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2013., , , .
- 26Council on Graduate Medical Education. Physician Distribution and Health Care Challenges in Rural and Inner City Areas: Tenth Report to Congress and the Department of Health and Human Services Secretary. Available at: http://www.hrsa.gov/advisorycommittees/bhpradvisory/cogme/reports/tenthreport.pdf. Accessed November 21, 2013.
- 29Osteopathic physicians and international medical graduates in the rural primary care physician workforce. Fam Med. 2012;44(6):396-403., , , .