Sleep restriction and thyroid
Partial sleep restriction modulates secretory activity of thyrotropic axis in healthy men
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 166–169, April 2013
How to Cite
Schmid, S. M., Hallschmid, M., Jauch-Chara, K., Kück, M. C., Lehnert, H. and Schultes, B. (2013), Partial sleep restriction modulates secretory activity of thyrotropic axis in healthy men. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 166–169. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12004
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 JUN 2012
- Persistence of the circadian thyrotropin rhythm under constant conditions and after light-induced shifts of circadian phase. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 1994, 79: 508–512. and
- Influence of partial sleep deprivation on the secretion of thyrotropin, thyroid hormones, growth hormone, prolactin, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, and estradiol in healthy young women. Psychiatry Res., 1993, 48: 153–178. , , et al.
- Circadian and pulsatile TSH secretion under physiological and pathophysiological conditions. Horm. Metab. Res. Suppl., 1990a, 23: 12–17. , , et al.
- Physiological regulation of circadian and pulsatile thyrotropin secretion in normal man and woman. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 1990b, 70: 403–409. , , et al.
- Hormonal, subjective, and neurocognitive responses to brief hypoglycemia in postmenopausal women and age-matched men with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism, 2006, 55: 331–338. , , et al.
- Impact of sleepiness and sleep deficiency on public health – utility of biomarkers. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2011, 7: S6–S8.
- Nocturnal plasma thyrotropin variations are related to slow-wave sleep. J. Sleep Res., 1992, 1: 186–190. , , , and
- Nycthemeral patterns of thyroid hormones and their relationships with thyrotropin variations and sleep structure. J. Endocrinol. Invest., 1994, 17: 181–187. , , , and
- Temporal link between plasma thyrotropin levels and electroencephalographic activity in man. Neurosci. Lett., 1995, 200: 97–100. , , et al.
- Changes in serum TSH and free T4 during human sleep restriction. Sleep, 2010, 33: 1115–1118. , , and
- Serum prolactin, growth hormone, total corticoids, thyroid hormones and thyrotropine during serial therapeutic sleep deprivation. Biol. Psychiatry, 1996, 39: 857–864. , and
- Thyroid hormones are positively associated with insulin resistance early in the development of type 2 diabetes. Endocrine, 2011, 39: 28–32. , , et al.
- Studies of insulin resistance in patients with clinical and subclinical hyperthyroidism. Eur. J. Endocrinol., 2010, 163: 625–630. , , et al.
- Insulin action in hyperthyroidism: a focus on muscle and adipose tissue. Endocr. Rev., 2010, 31: 663–679. , and
- Effect of 64-hour sleep deprivation on the circadian waveform of thyrotropin (TSH): further evidence of sleep-related inhibition of TSH release. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 1987, 64: 157–161. , , and
- Update on energy homeostasis and insufficient sleep. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2012, 97: 1792–1801.
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep of Human Subjects. NIH publication. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1968: 204. and
- Disturbed sleep as risk factor for metabolic syndrome. Internist (Berl.), 2011, 52: 383–388. and
- Short-term sleep loss decreases physical activity under free-living conditions but does not increase food intake under time-deprived laboratory conditions in healthy men. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 2009, 90: 1476–1482. , , et al.
- Disturbed glucoregulatory response to food intake after moderate sleep restriction. Sleep, 2011, 34: 371–377. , , et al.
- Impact of sleep debt on metabolic and endocrine function. Lancet, 1999, 354: 1435–1439. , and
- Brief communication: sleep curtailment in healthy young men is associated with decreased leptin levels, elevated ghrelin levels, and increased hunger and appetite. Ann. Intern. Med., 2004, 141: 846–850. , , and