These authors contributed equally to this work.
Cardiovascular variability as a function of sleep–wake behaviour in narcolepsy with cataplexy
Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 178–184, April 2013
How to Cite
Silvani, A., Grimaldi, D., Barletta, G., Bastianini, S., Vandi, S., Pierangeli, G., Plazzi, G. and Cortelli, P. (2013), Cardiovascular variability as a function of sleep–wake behaviour in narcolepsy with cataplexy. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 178–184. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12007
This study was part of the PhD research programme of Dr Daniela Grimaldi.
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 APR 2012
- Heart-rate variability in women during 40-hour prolonged wakefulness. Chronobiol. Int., 2010, 27: 1609–1628. , , et al.
- Effects of constant cardiac autonomic nerve stimulation on heart rate variability. Am. J. Physiol. (Heart Circ. Physiol.), 1996, 270: H2081–H2087. , and
- Evaluation of baroreceptor reflex by blood pressure monitoring in unanesthetized cats. Am. J. Physiol. (Heart Circ. Physiol.), 1988, 254: H377–H383. , , , , and
- Baroreceptor reflex control of heart rate: a predictor of sudden cardiac death. Circulation, 1982, 66: 874–880. , and
- Heart rate variability can be used to estimate sleepiness-related decrements in psychomotor vigilance during total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2012, 35: 325–334. , , et al.
- Multiple comparisons: philosophies and illustrations. Am. J. Physiol. (Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol.), 2000, 279: R1–R8.
- Narcolepsy with cataplexy. Lancet, 2007, 369: 499–511. , and
- Autonomic response to periodic leg movements during sleep in narcolepsy–cataplexy. Sleep, 2011, 34: 219–223. , , , and
- European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing Electrophysiology (ESC/NASPE) Task Force. Heart rate variability Standards of measurement, physiological interpretation, and clinical use. Eur. Heart J., 1996, 17: 354–381.
- Autonomic function in narcolepsy: power spectrum analysis of heart rate variability. J. Neurol., 1997, 244: 252–255. , , et al.
- Different periodicity and time structure of leg movements during sleep in narcolepsy/cataplexy and restless legs syndrome. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1587–1594. , , et al.
- Increased heart rate variability but normal resting metabolic rate in hypocretin/orexin-deficient human narcolepsy. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2008, 4: 248–254. , , , , and
- Spectral analysis of heart rate variability reveals an enhanced sympathetic activity in narcolepsy with cataplexy. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2010, 121: 1142–1147. , , et al.
- Abnormal sleep–cardiovascular system interaction in narcolepsy with cataplexy: effects of hypocretin deficiency in humans. Sleep, 2012, 35: 519–528. , , et al.
- Autonomic nervous system function in narcolepsy. J. Sleep Res., 1994, 3: 131–137. , and
- Baroreflex sensitivity and heart-rate variability in prediction of total cardiac mortality after myocardial infarction. Lancet, 1998, 351: 478–484. , , , and
- Spontaneous indices are inconsistent with arterial baroreflex gain. Hypertension, 2003, 42: 481–487. , and
- Daytime sleepiness and neural cardiac modulation in sleep-related breathing disorders. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 263–270. , , et al.
- Power spectral analysis of heart rate and arterial pressure variabilities as a marker of sympatho-vagal interaction in man and conscious dog. Circ. Res., 1986, 59: 178–193. , , et al.
- A mutation in a case of early onset narcolepsy and a generalized absence of hypocretin peptides in human narcoleptic brains. Nat. Med., 2000, 6: 991–997. , , et al.
- Autonomic disturbances in narcolepsy. Sleep Med. Rev., 2011, 15: 187–196. , , et al.
- Assessment of baroreceptor reflex sensitivity by means of spectral analysis. Hypertension, 1987, 10: 538–543. , , , , and
- Autonomic regulation of cardiopulmonary functions in sleep apnea syndrome and narcolepsy. Sleep, 1982, 5: 227–238. and
- Physiological sleep-dependent changes in arterial blood pressure: central autonomic commands and baroreflex control. Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol., 2008, 35: 987–994.
- Sleep-dependent changes in the coupling between heart period and blood pressure in human subjects. Am. J. Physiol. (Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol.), 2008, 294: R1686–R1692. , , et al.
- Mathematical modeling of cardiovascular coupling: central autonomic commands and baroreflex control. Auton. Neurosci., 2011, 162: 66–71. , , , and
- Control of cardiovascular variability during undisturbed wake–sleep behavior in hypocretin-deficient mice. Am. J. Physiol. (Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol.), 2012, 302: R958–R964. , , , and
- Heart rate variability in patients with atrial fibrillation is related to vagal tone. Circulation, 1997, 96: 1209–1216. , , , , and
- Should baroreflex sensitivity be corrected for heart rate? J. Hypertens., 2003, 21: 2015–2018.
- Increased sympathetic and decreased parasympathetic cardiovascular modulation in normal humans with acute sleep deprivation. J. Appl. Physiol., 2005, 98: 2024–2032. , , et al.