Obstructive sleep apnea
Sleep endoscopy with simulation bite for prediction of oral appliance treatment outcome
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 348–355, June 2013
How to Cite
Vroegop, A. V. M. T., Vanderveken, O. M., Dieltjens, M., Wouters, K., Saldien, V., Braem, M. J. and Van de heyning, P. H. (2013), Sleep endoscopy with simulation bite for prediction of oral appliance treatment outcome. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 348–355. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12008
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 APR 2012
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine Task Force. Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measurement techniques in clinical research. The Report of an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Task Force. Sleep, 1999, 22: 667–689.
- Sleep nasendoscopy as a predictor of treatment success in snorers using mandibular advancement splints. J. Laryngol. Otol., 2005, 119: 106–112. , and
- Validity of sleep nasendoscopy in the investigation of sleep related breathing disorders. Laryngoscope, 2005, 115: 538–540. , , , and
- Prediction of oral appliance efficiency in patients with apnea using phrenic nerve stimulation while awake. Thorax, 2011, 66: 220–225. , and
- The effect of mandibular advancement on upper airway structure in obstructive sleep apnea. Thorax, 2010, 65: 726–732. , , et al.
- Use of flow–volume curves to predict oral appliance treatment outcome in obstructive sleep apnea: a prospective validation study. Sleep Breath., 2011, 15: 157–162. , , , and
- Sleep nasendoscopy: a technique of assessment in snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. Clin. Otolaryngol. Allied Sci., 1991, 16: 504–509. and
- Functional imaging using computational fluid dynamics to predict treatment success of mandibular advancement devices in sleep-disordered breathing. J. Biomech., 2007, 40: 3708–3714. , , et al.
- Treatment of obstructive sleep apnea using a custom-made titratable duobloc oral appliance: a prospective clinical study. Sleep Breath., 2012a, DOI:10.1007/s11325-012-0721-3. , , et al.
- Current opinions and clinical practice in the titration of oral appliances in the treatment of sleep-disordered breathing. Sleep Med. Rev., 2012b, 16: 177–185. , , and
- Mandibular advancement and obstructive sleep apnea: a method for determining effective mandibular protrusion. Eur. Respir. J., 2006, 27: 1003–1009. , and
- Does drug-induced sleep endoscopy change the treatment concept of patients with snoring and obstructive sleep apnea? Sleep Breath., 2012, DOI:10.1007/s11325-012-0647-9. , , , and
- Titrated mandibular advancement versus positive airway pressure for sleep apnea. Eur. Respir. J., 2009, 34: 914–920. , , et al.
- Results of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty after diagnostic workup with polysomnography and sleep endoscopy: a report of 136 snoring patients. Eur. Arch. Otorhinolaryngol., 2003, 260: 91–95. and
- Sleep nasendoscopy: a diagnostic tool for predicting treatment success with mandibular advancement splints in obstructive sleep apnea. Eur. J. Orthod., 2005, 27: 607–614. , and
- Impact of sleep nasendoscopy on the outcome of mandibular advancement splint therapy in subjects with sleep-related breathing disorders. J. Laryngol. Otol., 2007, 121: 668–675. , , and
- The use of videofluoroscopy in the assessment of the pharyngeal airway in obstructive sleep apnea. Eur. J. Orthodont., 2011, 33: 212–219. , , and
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep, 1991, 14: 540–545.
- Interrater reliability of drug-induced sleep endoscopy. Arch. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg., 2010, 136: 393–397. , , , , and
- Practice parameters for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea with oral appliances: an update for 2005. Sleep, 2006, 29: 240–243. , , et al.
- The efficacy of oral appliances in the treatment of severe obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep Breath., 2011, 15: 195–201. , , , , and
- Long-term effects of mandibular repositioning appliances on symptoms of sleep apnea. J. Sleep Res., 2007, 16: 414–420. and
- Mandibular advancement devices in 630 men and women with obstructive sleep apnea and snoring: tolerability and predictors of treatment success. Chest, 2004, 125: 1270–1278. , and
- Non-CPAP therapies in obstructive sleep apnea mandibular advancement device therapy. Eur Respir J., 2012, 39: 1241–1247. , and
- Influence of oral and craniofacial dimensions on mandibular advancement splint treatment outcome in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Chest, 2011, 139: 1331–1339. , , et al.
- Oropharyngeal collapse predicts treatment response with oral appliance therapy in obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 2006, 29: 666–671. , and
- Cephalometry and prediction of oral appliance treatment outcome. Sleep Breath., 2012, 16: 47–58. , , and
- Effect of genioglossus contraction on pharyngeal lumen and airflow in sleep apnea patients. Eur. Respir. J., 2007, 30: 748–758. , , et al.
- Mechanical parameters determining pharyngeal collapsibility in patients with sleep apnea. J. Appl. Physiol., 2010, 109: 1037–1044. , , et al.
- Mandibular advancement appliance for obstructive sleep apnea: results of a randomised placebo controlled trial using parallel group design. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 221–229. , , , and
- Upper airway in obstructive sleep apnea—controversies continue. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 123–124. and
- One hundred consecutive patients undergoing drug-induced sleep endoscopy: results and evaluation. Laryngoscope, 2011, 121: 2710–2716. and
- Test–retest reliability of drug-induced sleep endoscopy. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg., 2009, 140: 646–651. , , and
- Effects of mandibular advancement on airway curvature and obstructive sleep apnea severity. Eur. Respir. J., 2004, 23: 263–268. , , , and
- Drug-induced sleep endoscopy (DISE) for non-CPAP treatment selection in patients with sleep-disordered breathing. Sleep Breath., 2012, DOI:10.1007/s11325-012-0671-9.
- Pilot study of a novel mandibular advancement device for the control of snoring. Acta Otolaryngol., 2004, 124: 628–633. , , et al.
- Comparison of a custom-made and a thermoplastic oral appliance for the treatment of mild sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2008, 178: 197–202. , , et al.
- Drug-induced sleep endoscopy completed with a simulation bite approach for the prediction of the outcome of treatment of obstructive sleep apnea with mandibular repositioning appliances. Op. Techn. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg., 2011, 22: 175–182. , , and