Prolonged wakefulness alters neuronal responsiveness to local electrical stimulation of the neocortex in awake rats
Version of Record online: 21 NOV 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 239–250, June 2013
How to Cite
Vyazovskiy, V. V., Olcese, U., Cirelli, C. and Tononi, G. (2013), Prolonged wakefulness alters neuronal responsiveness to local electrical stimulation of the neocortex in awake rats. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 239–250. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12009
- Issue online: 13 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAY 2012
- NIMH. Grant Number: P20 MH077967 C. C.
- NIH Director's Pioneer award (G. T.)
- AFOSR. Grant Number: FA9550-08-1-0244 G. T.
- An energy budget for signaling in the grey matter of the brain. J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab., 2001, 21: 1133–1145. and
- Characterization of neocortical principal cells and interneurons by network interactions and extracellular features. J. Neurophysiol., 2004, 92: 600–608. , , , , and
- Effect of sleep deprivation on sleep and EEG power spectra in the rat. Behav. Brain Res., 1984, 14: 171–182. , and
- Effects of electrically coupled inhibitory networks on local neuronal responses to intracortical microstimulation. J. Neurophysiol., 2006, 96: 1227–1236. , , and
- Properties of slow oscillation during slow-wave sleep and anesthesia in cats. J. Neurosci., 2011, 31: 14. , , and
- Interneuron-mediated inhibition synchronizes neuronal activity during slow oscillation. J. Physiol., 2012, 590: 3987–4010. , , , and
- Strength and orientation tuning of the thalamic input to simple cells revealed by electrically evoked cortical suppression. Neuron, 1998, 20: 1177–1189. and
- Intrinsic firing patterns of diverse neocortical neurons. Trends Neurosci., 1990, 13: 99–104. and
- Cellular basis of EEG slow rhythms: a study of dynamic corticothalamic relationships. J. Neurosci., 1995, 15: 604–622. and
- Mechanisms of long-lasting hyperpolarizations underlying slow sleep oscillations in cat corticothalamic networks. J. Physiol., 1996, 494: 251–264. , and
- Modulation of synaptic transmission in neocortex by network activities. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2005, 21: 1030–1044. , , and
- Circadian and sleep/wake dependent aspects of subjective alertness and cognitive performance. J. Sleep Res., 1992, 1: 112–117. , and
- Behavioral states, network states, and sensory response variability. J. Neurophysiol., 2008, 100: 1160–1168. and
- Sleep deprivation in rats: effects on EEG power spectra, vigilance states, and cortical temperature. Am. J. Physiol., 1991, 261: R198–R208. , , and
- Endogenous electric fields may guide neocortical network activity. Neuron, 2010, 67: 129–143. and
- Natural sleep modifies the rat electroretinogram. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 1994, 91: 5153–5157. , , , and
- Neocortical network activity in vivo is generated through a dynamic balance of excitation and inhibition. J. Neurosci., 2006, 26: 4535–4545. , , and
- Enhancement of visual responsiveness by spontaneous local network activity in vivo. J. Neurophysiol., 2007, 97: 4186–4202. , , , and
- Acoustically evoked potentials in the rat during sleep and waking. Exp. Brain Res., 1970, 11: 93–110. and
- Modeling sleep and wakefulness in the thalamocortical system. J. Neurophysiol., 2005, 93: 1671–1698. and
- Human cortical excitability increases with time awake. Cereb. Cortex, 2012, doi:10.1093/cercor/bhs014. , , et al.
- Coordinated memory replay in the visual cortex and hippocampus during sleep. Nat. Neurosci., 2007, 10: 100–107. and
- Sleep homeostasis in the rat is preserved during chronic sleep restriction. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2010, 107: 15939–15944. , , , , and
- Synaptic integration in rat frontal cortex shaped by network activity. J. Neurophysiol., 2005, 93: 281–293. , , and
- The effects of electrical microstimulation on cortical signal propagation. Nat. Neurosci., 2010, 13: 1283–1291. , , et al.
- Sequential structure of neocortical spontaneous activity in vivo. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2007, 104: 347–352. , , , and
- EEG slow (approximately 1 Hz) waves are associated with nonstationarity of thalamo-cortical sensory processing in the sleeping human. J. Neurophysiol., 2003, 89: 1205–1213. , and
- Neurotransmitter actions in the thalamus and cerebral cortex. J. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1992, 9: 212–223.
- Instantaneous correlation of excitation and inhibition during ongoing and sensory-evoked activities. Nat. Neurosci., 2008, 11: 535–537. and
- The subthreshold relation between cortical local field potential and neuronal firing unveiled by intracellular recordings in awake rats. J. Neurosci., 2010, 30: 4440–4448. , and
- Cortical microstimulation in auditory cortex of rat elicits best-frequency dependent behaviors. J. Neural Eng., 2005, 2: 42–51. , and
- Transcranial electric stimulation entrains cortical neuronal populations in rats. J. Neurosci., 2010, 30: 11476–11485. , , et al.
- Sleep deprivation impairs object recognition in mice. Neurobiol. Learn. Mem., 2006, 85: 263–271. , , , and
- Interaction of sensory responses with spontaneous depolarization in layer 2/3 barrel cortex. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2003, 100: 13638–13643. , , , and
- Internal brain state regulates membrane potential synchrony in barrel cortex of behaving mice. Nature, 2008, 454: 881–885. and
- Local functional state differences between rat cortical columns. Brain Res., 2005, 1047: 45–55. , , and
- Sleep homeostasis and cortical synchronization: III. A high-density EEG study of sleep slow waves in humans. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1643–1657. , , et al.
- Somatosensory discrimination based on cortical microstimulation. Nature, 1998, 392: 387–390. , , and
- Effect of subthreshold up and down states on the whisker-evoked response in somatosensory cortex. J. Neurophysiol., 2004, 92: 3511–3521. , and
- Laminar structure of spontaneous and sensory-evoked population activity in auditory cortex. Neuron, 2009, 64: 404–418. and
- The fate of incoming stimuli during NREM sleep is determined by spindles and the phase of the slow oscillation. Front. Neurol., 2012, 3: 40. , , et al.
- The fractions of short- and long-range connections in the visual cortex. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2009, 106: 3555–3560. , , and
- Disfacilitation and active inhibition in the neocortex during the natural sleep-wake cycle: an intracellular study. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2001, 98: 1924–1929. , and .
- Sleep EEG in the rat as a function of prior waking. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1986, 64: 74–76. and
- The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose-response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2003, 26: 117–126. , , and
- A local, bottom-up perspective on sleep deprivation and neurobehavioral performance. Curr. Top. Med. Chem., 2011, 11: 2414–2422. , and
- Transcallosal evoked potentials in relation to behavior in the rat: effects of atropine, p-chlorophenylalanine, reserpine, scopolamine and trifluoperazine. Behav. Brain Res., 1987, 25: 31–48. , and
- Theta activity in the waking EEG is a marker of sleep propensity in the rat. Brain Res., 2005, 1050: 64–71. and
- Sleep homeostasis and cortical synchronization: II. A local field potential study of sleep slow waves in the rat. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1631–1642. , , and
- Molecular and electrophysiological evidence for net synaptic potentiation in wake and depression in sleep. Nat. Neurosci., 2008, 11: 200–208. , , , and
- Triggering slow waves during NREM sleep in the rat by intracortical electrical stimulation: effects of sleep/wake history and background activity. J. Neurophysiol., 2009a, 101: 1921–1931. , , and .
- Cortical firing and sleep homeostasis. Neuron, 2009b, 63: 865–878. , , et al.
- Electrophysiological correlates of sleep homeostasis in freely behaving rats. Prog. Brain Res., 2011a, 193: 17–38. , and
- Local sleep in awake rats. Nature, 2011b, 472: 443–447. , , , , and