Variation in sleepiness
The daily variation in sleepiness and its relation to the preceding sleep episode—a prospective study across 42 days of normal living
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 258–265, June 2013
How to Cite
Åkerstedt, T., Axelsson, J., Lekander, M., Orsini, N. and Kecklund, G. (2013), The daily variation in sleepiness and its relation to the preceding sleep episode—a prospective study across 42 days of normal living. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 258–265. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12014
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 APR 2012
- Swedish Science Council
- Swedish Council for Social Sciences and Working Life
- Stockholm Stress Center
- Subjective and objective sleepiness in the active individual. Int. J. Neurosci., 1990, 52: 29–37. and
- Impaired sleep after bedtime stress and worries. Biol. Psychol., 2007, 76: 170–173. , and
- Good sleep—its timing and physiological sleep characteristics. J. Sleep Res., 1997, 6: 221–229. , , and
- Sleepiness and performance in response to repeated sleep restriction and subsequent recovery during semi-laboratory conditions. Chronobiol. Int., 2008, 25: 297–308. , , , , and
- Patterns of performance degradation and restoration during sleep restriction and subsequent recovery: a sleep dose–response study. J. Sleep Res., 2003, 12: 1–12. , , et al.
- Poorer self-rated health is associated with elevated inflammatory markers among older adults. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2011, 36: 1495–1504. , , , , and
- From inflammation to sickness and depression: when the immune system subjugates the brain. Nat. Rev., 2008, 9: 46–56. , , , and
- Current perspectives on daytime sleepiness: the issues. Sleep, 1982, 5: 56–66. and
- Circadian and sleep–wake dependent aspects of subjective alertness and cognitive performance. J. Sleep Res., 1992, 1: 112–117. , and
- Age-related reduction in daytime sleep propensity and nocturnal slow wave sleep. Sleep, 2010, 33: 211–223. , , and
- Psychobiological circadian rhythms during a 72-hour vigil. Försvarsmedicin, 1975, II: 192–201. , , and
- Neurocognitive consequences of sleep deprivation. Semin. Neurol., 2009, 29: 320–339. , , and
- A dose–response study of total sleep time and the ability to maintain wakefulness. J. Sleep Res., 1998, 7: 167–174. , , , , and
- Neural origins of human sickness in interoceptive responses to inflammation. Biol. Psychiatry, 2009, 66: 415–422. , , et al.
- Cognitive approaches to insomnia. Clin. Psychol. Rev., 2005, 25: 593–611. , and
- Sleep extension versus nap or coffee, within the context of ‘sleep debt’. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 432–436. , and
- Variation in sleepiness during early morning shifts: a mixed model approach to an experimental field study of train drivers. Chronobiol. Int., 2004, 21: 973–990. , , and
- Subjective sleepiness, simulated driving performance and blink duration: examining individual differences. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15: 47–53. , , , and
- Sleep length as a function of morning shift-start time in irregular shift schedules for train drivers: self-rated health and individual differences. Chronobiol. Int., 2008, 25: 349–358. , , , and
- Dose–response relationship between sleep duration and human psychomotor vigilance and subjective alertness. Sleep, 1999, 22: 171–179. , , and
- The role of cytokines in sleep regulation. Curr. Pharm. Des., 2008, 14: 3408–3416.
- Effect of reducing interns' work hours on serious medical errors in intensive care units. N. Engl. J. Med., 2004, 351: 1838–1848. , , et al.
- Self-rated health is related to levels of circulating cytokines. Psychosom. Med., 2004, 66: 559–563. , , , and
- Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scaale (HAD): some psychometric data for a Swedish sample. Acta Psychiatr. Scand., 1997, 96: 281–286. , and
- Sleep and affect in older adults: using multilevel modeling to examine daily associations. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 42–53. , , et al.
- Intra-individual variability in sleep duration and fragmentation: associations with stress. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2009, 34: 1346–1354. , , et al.
- Transport and industrial safety, how are they affected by sleepiness and sleep restriction? Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 347–356. and
- Multilevel and Longitudinal Modeling Using Stata, 1st edn. Stata Press, Texas, 2005. and
- Hierarchical Linear Models. Applications and data analysis methods, 2nd edn. Sage Publications Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 2002. and .
- Banking sleep: realization of benefits during subsequent sleep restriction and recovery. Sleep, 2009, 32: 311–321. , , and
- The role and validity of actigraphy in sleep medicine: an update. Sleep Med. Rev., 2011, 15: 259–267.
- Extended driving impairs nocturnal driving performances. PLoS ONE, 2008, 3: e3493. , , et al.
- The characteristics of sleepiness during real driving at night—a study of driving performance, physiology and subjective experience. Sleep, 2011, 34: 1317–1325. , , et al.
- What does self rated health measure? Results from the British Whitehall II and French Gazel cohort studies. J. Epidemiol. Commun. Health, 2006, 60: 364–372. , , , , and
- Weekday and weekend patterns of diurnal cortisol, activation and fatigue among people scoring high for burnout. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2006, 2: 35–40. , and
- Statacorp. Stata Statistical Software, release 8.0. StataCorp LP, College Station, TX, USA, 2003.
- Sleep duration and health in young adults. Arch. Intern. Med., 2006, 166: 1689–1692. , and
- Work and excessive sleepiness among Brazilian evening high school students: effects on days off. Int. J. Occup. Environ. Health, 2010, 16: 172–177. , , et al.
- The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose–response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2003, 26: 117–126. , , and
- Elevation of plasma cytokines in disorders of excessive daytime sleepiness: role of sleep disturbance and obesity. J. Clin. Endocrin. Metab., 1997, 82: 1313–1316. , , , , and
- Perfusion functional MRI reveals cerebral blood flow pattern under psychological stress. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci., 2005, 102: 17804–17809. , , et al.