Sleep quality in children
Parasympathetic nervous system activity and children's sleep
Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 282–288, June 2013
How to Cite
El-Sheikh, M., Erath, S. A. and Bagley, E. J. (2013), Parasympathetic nervous system activity and children's sleep. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 282–288. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12019
- Issue online: 13 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2012
- National Institute of Health. Grant Number: R01-HL093246
- Scoring Actigraph Data Using ACTION-W 2. Bradley Sleep Center, Brown University, Providence, RI, 2001. and .
- Vagal tone, development, and Gray’s Motivational Theory: toward an integrated model of autonomic nervous system functioning in psychopathology. Dev. Psychopathol., 2001, 13: 183–214.
- Autonomic determinism: the modes of autonomic control, the doctrine of autonomic space, and the laws of autonomic constraint. Psychol. Rev., 1991, 98: 459–487. , and
- Heart rate variability: origins, methods, and interpretive caveats. Psychophysiology, 1997, 34: 623–648. , , et al.
- Heart rate variability measures add a new dimension to the understanding of sleepiness. Sleep, 2012, 35: 307–308.
- Heart rate variability can be used to estimate sleepiness-related decrements in psychomotor vigilance during total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2012, 35: 325–334. , , et al.
- The regulation of sleep and arousal: development and psychopathology. Dev. Psychopathol., 1996, 8: 3–27.
- The influence of sleep quality, sleep duration and sleepiness on school performance in children and adolescents: a meta-analytic review. Sleep Med. Rev., 2010, 14: 179–189. , , , and
- Preschoolers’ daytime respiratory sinus arrhythmia and nighttime sleep. Physiol. Behav., 2012, 107: 414–417. , , and
- Vagal regulation and emotional intensity predict children’s sleep problems. Dev. Psychobiol., 2005, 46: 307–317. and
- Family conflict, autonomic nervous system functioning, and child adaptation: state of the science and future directions. Dev. Psychopathol., 2011, 23: 703–721. and
- Children’s sleep and adjustment: the moderating role of vagal regulation. J. Sleep Res., 2007a, 16: 396–405. , and
- Marital conflict and risk for child maladjustment over time: skin conductance level reactivity as a vulnerability factor. J. Abnorm. Child Psychol., 2007b, 35: 715–727. , and
- Maternal psychological control and child internalizing symptoms: vulnerability and protective factors across bioregulatory and ecological domains. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry, 2010a, 51: 188–198. , , and
- Children's sleep and adjustment over time: the role of the socio-economic context. Child Dev., 2010b, 81: 870–883. , , and
- Developmental trajectories of delinquency symptoms in childhood: the role of marital conflict and autonomic nervous system activity. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 2011, 120: 16–32. , and
- Impedance pneumography: noise as signal in impedance cardiography. Psychophysiology, 1999, 36: 333–338. , , , and
- Sleep problems in childhood: a longitudinal study of developmental change and association with behavioral problems. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 2002, 41: 964–971. and
- Computational procedures for probing interactions in OLS and logistic regression: SPSS and SAS implementations. Behav. Res. Methods, 2009, 41: 924–936. and
- Children's externalizing and internalizing symptoms over time: the role of individual differences in patterns of RSA responding. J. Abnorm. Child Psychol., 2009, 37: 1049–1061. and
- Long-term sleep disturbances in children: a cause of neuronal loss. Eur. J. Paediatric Neurol., 2010, 14: 380–390. , , , , and
- Reciprocal Relations between Children's Sleep and their Adjustment over Time. and (under review)
- The End of Stress As We Know It. Joseph Henry Press, Washington, DC, 2002. and
- Sleep and sleep disorders in children and adolescents. Psychiatr. Clin. North Am., 2006, 29: 1059–1076. and
- The polyvagal perspective. Biol. Psychol., 2007, 74: 116–143.
- Activity-based assessment of sleep–wake patterns during the 1st year of life. Infant Behav. Dev., 1995, 18: 329–337. , , , and
- The effects of sleep restriction and extension on school-age children: what a difference an hour makes. Child Dev., 2003, 74: 444–455. , and
- Children's sleep deficits and cognitive and behavioral adjustment. In: M. El-Sheikh (Ed.) Sleep and Development: Familial and Socio-Cultural Considerations. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 2011: 133–164. and