Extending sleep and the heart
Fibrinogen may mediate the association between long sleep duration and coronary heart disease
Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 305–314, June 2013
How to Cite
Hale, L., Parente, V., Dowd, J. B., Sands, M., Berger, J. S., Song, Y., Martin, L. W. and Allison, M. A. (2013), Fibrinogen may mediate the association between long sleep duration and coronary heart disease. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 305–314. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12020
- Issue online: 13 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUL 2012
- Sleep duration is significantly associated with carotid artery atherosclerosis incidence in a Japanese population. Atherosclerosis, 2011, 217: 509–513. , , and
- Compendium of physical activities: a second update of codes and MET values. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., 2011, 43: 1575–1581. , , et al.
- A prospective study of sleep duration and coronary heart disease in women. Arch. Intern. Med., 2003, 163: 205–209. , , et al.
- Sleep duration and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Sleep, 2010, 33: 585–592. , , and
- Association of fibrinogen, C-reactive protein, albumin, or leukocyte count with coronary heart disease: meta-analyses of prospective studies. JAMA, 1998, 279: 1477–1482. , , and
- Fibrin D-dimer and coronary heart disease: prospective study and meta-analysis. Circulation, 2001, 103: 2323–2327. , , et al.
- Sleep duration, sleep quality, and biomarkers of inflammation in a Taiwanese population. Ann. Epidemiol., 2011, 21: 799–806. , and
- Fibrinogen as a cardiovascular risk factor: a meta-analysis and review of the literature. Ann. Intern. Med., 1993, 118: 956–963. and
- Sleep duration and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J. Sleep Res., 2009, 18: 148–158. and
- Who are the long sleepers? Towards an understanding of the mortality relationship. Sleep Med. Rev., 2007, 11: 341–360. and
- Mortality associated with short sleep duration: the evidence, the possible mechanisms, and the future. Sleep Med. Rev., 2009, 14: 191–203. , , and
- Fibrinogen and risk of cardiovascular disease The Framingham Study. JAMA, 1987, 258: 1183–1186. , , and
- The U-shaped association between sleep and health: the 2 peaks do not mean the same thing. Sleep, 2006, 29: 878–879. and
- Mortality associated with sleep duration and insomnia. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 2002, 59: 131–136. , , , and
- Mortality related to actigraphic long and short sleep. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 28–33. , , , and
- Self-reported and measured sleep duration: how similar are they? Epidemiology, 2008, 19: 838–845. , , , and
- Estimating mediated effects in prevention studies. Eval. Rev., 1993, 17: 144–158. and
- Independent association of fibrinogen with carotid intima-media thickness in asymptomatic subjects. Cerebrovasc. Dis., 2003, 16: 356–362. , , et al.
- Women's health initiative Why now? What is it? What's new?. Am. Psychol., 1997, 52: 101–116. , , et al.
- Are inflammatory and coagulation biomarkers related to sleep characteristics in mid-life women? Study of Women's Health Across the Nation Sleep Study. Sleep, 2010, 33: 1649–1655. , , et al.
- Gender differences in the cross-sectional relationships between sleep duration and markers of inflammation: Whitehall II study. Sleep, 2009, 32: 857–864. , , et al.
- Sleeping to fuel the immune system: mammalian sleep and resistance to parasites. BMC Evol. Biol., 2009, 9: 8.
- Sleep duration and biomarkers of inflammation. Sleep, 2009, 32: 200–204. , and
- Sleep characteristics of self-reported long sleepers. Sleep, 2012, 35: 641–648. , , and
- Sleep and inflammation. Nutr. Rev., 2007, 65: S244–S252. and
- Asymptotic intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. Sociol. Methodol., 1982, 13: 290–312.
- Long sleep duration: a risk to health or a marker of risk? Sleep Med. Rev., 2007, 11: 337–339. and
- Correlates of short and long sleep duration: a cross-cultural comparison between the United Kingdom and the United States: the Whitehall II Study and the Western New York Health Study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2008, 168: 1353–1364. , , et al.
- Self-reported symptoms of sleep disturbance and inflammation, coagulation, insulin resistance and psychosocial distress: evidence for gender disparity. Brain Behav. Immun., 2008, 22: 960–968.
- Self-reported sleep duration as a predictor of all-cause mortality: results from the JACC study, Japan. Sleep, 2004, 27: 51–54. and
- Leukocyte count and fibrinogen are associated with carotid and femoral intimal-media thickness in a risk population for diabetes. Cardiovasc. Res., 2002, 56: 277–283. , , and
- Short version of the CES-D (Burnam screen) for depression in reference to the structured psychiatric interview. Psychiatry Res., 2001, 103: 261–270. , , and
- Fibrinogen levels of obstructive sleep apnea in ischemic stroke. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2000, 162: 2039–2042. , , , , and
- Long sleep and mortality: rationale for sleep restriction. Sleep Med. Rev., 2004, 8: 159–174. and