These authors contributed equally to the preparation of the manuscript.
Sleep quality in children
Low-grade albuminuria in children with obstructive sleep apnea
Version of Record online: 10 DEC 2012
© 2012 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 289–294, June 2013
How to Cite
Varlami, V., Malakasioti, G., Alexopoulos, E. I., Theologi, V., Theophanous, E., Liakos, N., Daskalopoulou, E., Gourgoulianis, K. and Kaditis, A. G. (2013), Low-grade albuminuria in children with obstructive sleep apnea. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 289–294. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12021
- Issue online: 13 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2012
- University of Thessaly Research Committee
- American Sleep Disorders Association. EEG arousals: scoring rules and examples: a preliminary report from the Sleep Disorders Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. Sleep, 1992, 15: 173–184.
- Twenty-four-hour ambulatory blood pressure in children with sleep-disordered breathing. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2004, 169: 950–956. , , et al.
- Activity-adjusted 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure and cardiac remodeling in children with sleep disordered breathing. Hypertension, 2008, 51: 84–91. , , et al.
- Effect of microalbuminuria lowering on regression of left ventricular hypertrophy in children and adolescents with essential hypertension. Pediatr. Cardiol., 2007, 28: 27–33.
- Blood pressure associated with sleep-disordered breathing in a population sample of children. Hypertension, 2008, 52: 841–846. , , et al.
- Sleep disordered breathing in children in a general population sample: prevalence and risk factors. Sleep, 2009, 32: 731–736. , , et al.
- Sleep-disordered breathing and urinary albumin excretion in older men. Sleep Breath., 2011, 15: 137–144. , , et al.
- Sleep apnea, proteinuria, and nephrotic syndrome. Sleep, 1988, 11: 69–74. , , , and .
- Obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome promotes reversal albuminuria during sleep. Sleep Breath., 2011, 15: 589–597. , , , , and
- Microalbuminuria and abnormal ambulatory blood pressure in adolescents with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J. Pediatr., 2005, 147: 67–73. , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with increased urinary albumin excretion. Sleep, 2007, 30: 923–929. , , , , and
- Clinical outcomes associated with sleep-disordered breathing in Caucasian and Hispanic children – the Tucson Children's Assessment of Sleep Apnea study (TuCASA). Sleep, 2003, 26: 587–591. , , et al.
- Obstructive sleep apnea and endothelial function in school-aged nonobese children: effect of adenotonsillectomy. Circulation, 2007, 116: 2307–2314. , , , and
- Sleep measures and morning plasma TNF-alpha levels in children with sleep-disordered breathing. Sleep, 2010, 33: 319–325. , , , , and
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2007. and
- Overnight change in brain natriuretic peptide levels in children with sleep-disordered breathing. Chest, 2006, 130: 1377–1384. , , et al.
- Urine levels of catecholamines in Greek children with obstructive sleep-disordered breathing. Pediatr. Pulmonol., 2009, 44: 38–45. , , et al.
- Serum nitrite and nitrate levels in children with obstructive sleep-disordered breathing. Sleep Med., 2010, 11: 258–262. , , et al.
- Effects of adenotonsillectomy on R-R interval and brain natriuretic peptide levels in children with sleep apnea: a preliminary report. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 646–651. , , , , and
- Short-term use of continuous positive airway pressure ameliorates glomerular hyperfiltration in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. Clin. Sci., 2004, 107: 317–322. , , et al.
- Very low levels of microalbuminuria are associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease and death independently of renal function, hypertension, and diabetes. Circulation, 2004, 110: 32–35. , , et al.
- Urinary protein expression patterns in children with sleep-disordered breathing: preliminary findings. Sleep Med., 2006, 7: 221–227. , , , and
- 2000 CDC Growth Charts for the United States: methods and development. Vital Health Stat., 2002, 11: 1–190. , , et al.
- Deterioration of glomerular endothelial surface layer induced by oxidative stress is implicated in altered permeability of macromolecules in Zucker fatty rats. Diabetologia, 2010, 53: 2056–2065. , , , and
- Abnormal vasoactive hormones and 24-hour blood pressure in obstructive sleep apnea. Am. J. Hypertens., 2003, 16: 274–280. , , and
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group. The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics, 2004, 114: 555–576.
- Being overweight modifies the association between cardiovascular risk factors and microalbuminuria in adolescents. Pediatrics, 2008, 121: 37–45. , , , and
- Acute cardiovascular changes with obstructive events in children with sleep disordered breathing. Sleep, 2009, 32: 1265–1271. , , et al.
- Albuminuria in children. Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens., 2009, 18: 246–251. and
- Sympathetic-nerve activity during sleep in normal subjects. N. Engl. J. Med., 1993, 328: 303–307. , , and
- Sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease: an American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Foundation Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association Council for High Blood Pressure Research Professional Education Committee, Council on Clinical Cardiology, Stroke Council, and Council on Cardiovascular Nursing. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 2008, 52: 686–717. , , et al.
- Sleep-disordered breathing and proteinuria in overweight and obese children and adolescents. Horm Res., 2008, 70: 224–229. , et al.