CBTi and sleepiness
Ecological momentary assessment of daytime symptoms during sleep restriction therapy for insomnia
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 266–272, June 2013
How to Cite
Miller, C. B., Kyle, S. D., Marshall, N. S. and Espie, C. A. (2013), Ecological momentary assessment of daytime symptoms during sleep restriction therapy for insomnia. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 266–272. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12024
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 25 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 AUG 2012
- Chief Scientist Office . Grant Number: CZG/2/503
- Centre for Integrated Research and Understanding of Sleep. Grant Number: 571421
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: R01MH077901
- National Health and Medical Research Council
- Sackler Institute of Psychobiological Research
- Patterns of performance degradation and restoration during sleep restriction and subsequent recovery: a sleep dose–response study. J. Sleep Res., 2003, 12: 1–12. , , et al.
- Daytime symptoms in primary insomnia: a prospective analysis using ecological momentary assessment. Sleep Med., 2007, 8: 198–208. , , et al.
- Efficacy of brief behavioral treatment for chronic insomnia in older adults. Arch. Intern. Med., 2011, 171: 887–895. , , et al.
- Cumulative sleepiness, mood disturbance, and psychomotor vigilance performance decrements during a week of sleep restricted to 4–5 hours per night. Sleep, 1997, 20: 267–277. , , et al.
- Cognitive–behavioral therapy for primary insomnia. Clin. Psychol. Rev., 2005, 25: 539–558. and
- Derivation of research diagnostic criteria for insomnia: report of an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Work Group. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1567–1596. , , et al.
- Insomniacs’ reported use of CBT components and relationship to long-term clinical outcome. Behav. Res. Ther., 2002, 40: 75–83. , and
- Recall of recommendations and adherence to advice among patients with chronic medical conditions. Arch. Intern. Med., 1993, 153: 1869–1878. , , et al.
- Insomnia and health-related quality of life. Sleep Med. Rev., 2010, 14: 69–82. , and
- No pain, no gain: an exploratory within-subjects mixed-methods evaluation of the patient experience of sleep restriction therapy (SRT) for insomnia. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 735–747. , , and
- A pilot study of subjective daytime alertness and mood in primary insomnia participants using ecological momentary assessment. Behav. Sleep Med., 2004, 2: 113–131. , , et al.
- Practice parameters for the psychological and behavioral treatment of insomnia: an update. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine Report. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1415–1419. , , et al.
- Insomnia: Psychological Assessment and Management. Guilford Press, New York, NY, 1993.
- Psychological and behavioral treatment of insomnia: update of the recent evidence (1998–2004). Sleep, 2006, 29: 1398–1414. , , , , and
- The economic burden of insomnia: direct and indirect costs for individuals with insomnia syndrome, insomnia symptoms, and good sleepers. Sleep, 2009, 32: 55–64. , , , and
- Sleep homeostasis in primary insomnia. Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 247–254. and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System of Sleep Stages in Human Subjects. Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 1968. and (Eds).
- Ecological momentary assessment. Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol., 2008, 4: 1–32. , and
- Insomnia and its effective non-pharmacologic treatment. Med. Clin. N. Am., 2010, 94: 581–591. and
- Comparative meta-analysis of pharmacotherapy and behavior therapy for persistent insomnia. Am. J. Psychiatry, 2002, 159: 5–11. , , et al.
- Treatment of chronic insomnia by restriction of time in bed. Sleep, 1987, 10: 45–56. , and
- The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose–response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2003, 26: 117–126. , , et al.
- Chronic insomnia and daytime functioning: an ambulatory assessment. Behav. Sleep Med., 2007, 5: 279–296. , , and