Obstructive sleep apnea
The effects of testosterone on ventilatory responses in men with obstructive sleep apnea: a randomised, placebo-controlled trial
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 331–336, June 2013
How to Cite
Killick, R., Wang, D., Hoyos, C. M., Yee, B. J., Grunstein, R. R. and Liu, P. Y. (2013), The effects of testosterone on ventilatory responses in men with obstructive sleep apnea: a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 331–336. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12027
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 JUL 2012
- the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia (NHMRC). Grant Number: 512499
- Centre for Clinical Research Excellence in Interdisciplinary Sleep Health. Grant Number: 571421
- Ventilatory sensitivity to carbon dioxide before and after episodic hypoxia in women treated with testosterone. J. Appl. Physiol., 2007, 102: 1832–1838. , , and
- Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in women: effects of gender. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 163: 608–613. , , et al.
- Crossing the apnoeic threshold: causes and consequences. Exp. Physiol., 2005, 90: 13–24.
- A model of the chemoreflex control of breathing in humans: model parameters measurement. Respir. Physiol., 2000, 120: 13–26. , , , and
- Pulmonary function and respiratory chemosensitivity in moderately obese patients with sleep apnea. Chest, 1993, 103: 1325–1329. , , and
- Effects of testosterone therapy on sleep and breathing in obese men with severe obstructive sleep apnoea: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf.), 2012, 77: 599–607. , , , and
- The short-term effects of high-dose testosterone on sleep, breathing, and function in older men. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 2003, 88: 3605–3613. , , et al.
- Treatment with leuprolide acetate decreases the threshold of the ventilatory response to carbon dioxide in healthy males. J. Physiol., 2004, 561: 637–646. , , , , and
- Testosterone replacement in hypogonadal men: effects on obstructive sleep apnoea, respiratory drives, and sleep. Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf.), 1985, 22: 713–721. , , et al.
- Influence of testosterone on breathing during sleep. J. Appl. Physiol., 1986, 61: 618–623. , , et al.
- Phenotyping interindividual variability in obstructive sleep apnoea response to temazepam using ventilatory chemoreflexes during wakefulness. J. Sleep Res., 2011, 20: 526–532. , , et al.
- Influence of testosterone on ventilation and chemosensitivity in male subjects. J. Appl. Physiol., 1985, 59: 1452–1457. , , et al.
- Role of respiratory control mechanisms in the pathogenesis of obstructive sleep disorders. J. Appl. Physiol., 2008, 105: 1389–1405.
- The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N. Engl. J. Med., 1993, 328: 1230–1235. , , , , and
- Effect of testosterone on the apneic threshold in women during NREM sleep. J. Appl. Physiol., 2003, 94: 101–107. , , , and