Regular Research Paper
The effect of sleep-specific brain activity versus reduced stimulus interference on declarative memory consolidation
Article first published online: 11 FEB 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 406–413, August 2013
How to Cite
Piosczyk, H., Holz, J., Feige, B., Spiegelhalder, K., Weber, F., Landmann, N., Kuhn, M., Frase, L., Riemann, D., Voderholzer, U. and Nissen, C. (2013), The effect of sleep-specific brain activity versus reduced stimulus interference on declarative memory consolidation. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 406–413. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12033
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 11 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 AUG 2012
- German Research Foundation
- Prediction of general mental ability based on neural oscillation measures of sleep. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 285–292. , , et al.
- A two process model of sleep regulation. Hum. Neurobiol., 1982, 1: 195–204.
- Overnight verbal memory retention correlates with the number of sleep spindles. Neuroscience, 2005, 132: 529–535. , and
- Temporal coupling of parahippocampal ripples, sleep spindles and slow oscillations in humans. Brain, 2007, 130: 2868–2878. , , , , and
- The memory function of sleep. Nat. Rev. Neurosci., 2010, 11: 114–126. and
- Dynamics of electroencephalographic sleep spindles and slow wave activity in men: effect of sleep deprivation. Brain Res., 1993, 626: 190–199. , and
- Reverse replay of behavioural sequences in hippocampal place cells during the awake state. Nature, 2006, 440: 680–683. and
- The organization of recent and remote memories. Nat. Rev. Neurosci., 2005, 6: 119–130. and
- Declarative memory consolidation: mechanisms acting during human sleep. Learn. Mem., 2004, 11: 679–685. and
- Sleep and rest facilitate auditory learning. Neuroscience, 2004, 127: 557–561. , , et al.
- Matrizen-Test-Manual, Band 1. Ein Handbuch mit deutschen Normen zu den Standard Progressive Matrices von J. C Raven. Beltz-Test, Göttingen, 1998. , and
- EEG sigma and slow-wave activity during NREM sleep correlate with overnight declarative and procedural memory consolidation. J. Sleep Res., 2012, 21: 612–619. , , . et al.
- Memory before and after sleep in patients with moderate obstructive sleep apnea. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2009, 5: 540–548. , , et al.
- Sleep and memory in healthy children and adolescents – a critical review. Sleep Med. Rev., 2010, 14: 167–177. , , et al.
- Boosting slow oscillations during sleep potentiates memory. Nature, 2006, 444: 610–613. , , and
- The restorative effect of naps on perceptual deterioration. Nat. Neurosci., 2002, 5: 677–681. , , et al.
- Sleep-dependent learning: a nap is as good as a night. Nat. Neurosci., 2003, 7: 697–698. , and
- Sleep and rest facilitate implicit memory in a visual search task. Vision. Res., 2009, 49: 2557–2565. , , and
- An opportunistic theory of cellular and systems consolidation. Trends Neurosci., 2011, 34: 504–514. , , , and
- Sleep-related memory consolidation in primary insomnia. J. Sleep Res., 2011, 20: 129–136. , , et al.
- Odor cues during slow-wave sleep prompt declarative memory consolidation. Science, 2007, 315: 1426–1429. , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. University of California, Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, Los Angeles, 1968. and
- Pattern-specific associative long-term potentiation induced by a sleep spindle-related spike train. J. Neurosci., 2005, 25: 9398–9405. and
- Sleep spindle-related activity in the human EEG and in relation to general cognitive and learning abilities. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2006, 23: 1738–1746. , , et al.
- Grouping of brain rhythms in corticothalamic systems. Neuroscience, 2006, 137: 1087–1106.
- Hamburg-Wechsler Intelligenztest für Erwachsene Revision 1991 (HAWIE-R). Verlag Hans Huber, Bern, 1994.
- Sleep function and synaptic homeostasis. Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 49–62. and
- Sleep restriction over several days does not affect long-term recall of declarative and procedural memories in adolescents. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 170–178. , , et al.
- Reactivation of hippocampal ensemble memories during sleep. Science, 1994, 265: 676–679. and
- Testbatterie zur Aufmerksamkeitsleistung (TAP). Psytest, Würselen, Germany, 2007. and