Regular Research Paper
Obstructive sleep apnea as a risk factor for silent cerebral infarction
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 452–458, August 2013
How to Cite
Cho, E. R., Kim, H., Seo, H. S., Suh, S., Lee, S. K. and Shin, C. (2013), Obstructive sleep apnea as a risk factor for silent cerebral infarction. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 452–458. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12034
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 AUG 2012
- Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Korean Ministry for Health and Welfare. Grant Number: 2011-E71004-0
- Frontal brain lobe impairment in obstructive sleep apnea: a proton MR spectroscopy study. Eur. Respir. J., 2004, 24: 980–986. , , et al.
- Association of sleep-disordered breathing and the occurrence of stroke. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2005, 172: 1447–1451. , , , and
- Sleep apnea in acute cerebrovascular diseases: final report on 128 patients. Sleep, 1999, 22: 217–223. and
- Sleep-disordered breathing and acute ischemic stroke: diagnosis, risk factors, treatment, evolution, and long-term clinical outcome. Stroke, 2006, 37: 967–992. , and
- Sleep-related breathing disorders in acute lacunar stroke. J. Neurol., 2009, 256: 2036–2042. , , , , and
- Case control study of cerebrovascular damage defined by magnetic resonance imaging in patients with OSA and normal matched control subjects. Sleep, 2001, 24: 715–720. , , et al.
- Nocturnal hypoxia is associated with silent cerebrovascular disease in a high-risk Japanese community-dwelling population. Am. J. Hypertens., 2005, 18: 1489–1495. , , , , and
- Sleep disturbance, stroke, and heart disease events: evidence from the Caerphilly cohort. J. Epidemiol. Community Health, 2006, 60: 69–73. , , , and
- Functional anatomy of thalamus and basal ganglia. Childs Nerv. Syst., 2002, 18: 386–404. , and
- for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, 1st edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2007. , , , and
- Are lacunar strokes really different? A systematic review of differences in risk factor profiles between lacunar and nonlacunar infarcts. Stroke, 2005, 36: 891–901. and
- Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in middle-aged Korean men and women. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2004, 170: 1108–1113. , , et al.
- Subcortical silent brain infarction as a risk factor for clinical stroke. Stroke, 1997, 28: 1932–1939. , , , and
- Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDCP). The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES). Korea Ministry of Health, Welfare, and Family Affairs, Seoul, Korea, 2010.
- Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in ages 40–64 years: a population-based survey. Sleep, 1997, 20: 65–76. , , , , and
- Heart disease and stroke statistics – 2009 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation, 2009, 119: e21–e181. , , et al.
- Silent brain infarction and platelet activation in obstructive sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2007, 175: 612–617. , , et al.
- Severe sleep apnea and risk of ischemic stroke in the elderly. Stroke, 2006, 37: 2317–2321. , , et al.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). Special report. Classification of cerebrovascular diseases III. Stroke, 1990, 21: 637–676.
- Blood flow of the middle cerebral artery with sleep-disordered breathing: correlation with obstructive hypopneas. Stroke, 1998, 29: 87–93. , , , and
- Correlation between severity of obstructive sleep apnea and prevalence of silent cerebrovascular lesions. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2008, 4: 242–247. , , , and
- Time course of sleep-related breathing disorders in first-ever stroke or transient ischemic attack. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2000, 161: 375–380. , , et al.
- Longitudinal study of moderate weight change and sleep-disordered breathing. JAMA, 2000, 284: 3015–3021. , , , and
- Sleep-disordered breathing and cardiovascular disease: cross-sectional results of the Sleep Heart Health Study. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 163: 19–25. , , et al.
- Incidence of sleep-disordered breathing in an urban adult population: the relative importance of risk factors in the development of sleep-disordered breathing. JAMA, 2003, 289: 2230–2237. , , and
- World Health Organization (WHO). The Global Burden of Disease: 2004 Update. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- World Health Organization (WHO) Expert Consultation. Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet, 2004, 363: 157–163.
- Obstructive sleep apnea as a risk factor for stroke and death. N. Engl. J. Med., 2005, 353: 2034–2041. , , , , and