Regular Research Paper
Respiratory sinus arrhythmia during sleep in children with upper airway obstruction
Article first published online: 11 FEB 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 463–470, August 2013
How to Cite
Kabir, M. M., Kohler, M., Pamula, Y., Martin, J., Kennedy, D., Abbott, D. and Baumert, M. (2013), Respiratory sinus arrhythmia during sleep in children with upper airway obstruction. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 463–470. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12036
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 11 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 AUG 2012
- Fluctuations in autonomic nervous activity during sleep displayed by power spectrum analysis of heart rate variability. Neurology, 1995, 45: 1183–1187. , , et al.
- Cardiorespiratory response to spontaneous cortical arousals during stage 2 and rapid eye movement sleep in healthy children. J. Sleep Res., 2010, 19: 415–424. , , , and
- Altered cardio-respiratory response to spontaneous cortical arousals in children with upper airway obstruction. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 230–238. , , et al.
- Heart rate variability in insomniacs and matched normal sleepers. Psychosom. Med., 1998, 60: 610–615. and
- Effects of increased training load on vagal-related indexes of heart rate variability: a novel sleep approach. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol., 2004, 287: H2813–H2818. , , , and
- Respiration during sleep in children. West. J. Med., 1978, 128: 477–481. , , and
- Model-based assessment of cardiovascular autonomic control in children with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 2009, 32: 927–938. , , , , and
- Aging as a modulator of respiratory sinus arrhythmia. J. Gerontol., 1993, 48: B74–B78.
- Children's sleep and adjustment: the moderating role of vagal regulation. J. Sleep Res., 2007, 16: 396–405. , and
- The relationship between obesity and craniofacial structure in obstructive sleep apnea. Chest, 1995, 108: 375–381. , , , and
- Phase-averaged characterization of respiratory sinus arrhythmia pattern. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol., 2005, 288: H504–H510. , , and
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia: a phenomenon improving pulmonary gas exchange and circulatory efficiency. Circulation, 1996, 94: 842–847. , , , and
- The sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome depresses waking vagal tone independent of sympathetic activation. Eur. Respir. J., 2001, 17: 1258–1266. , , , , and
- Decreased heart rate variability and its association with increased mortality after acute myocardial infarction. Am. J. Cardiol., 1987, 59: 256–262. , , and
- Differences in the association between obesity and obstructive sleep apnea among children and adolescents. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2009, 5: 506–511. , , et al.
- Postural-induced phase shift of respiratory sinus arrhythmia and blood pressure variations: insight from respiratory-phase domain analysis. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol., 2008, 294: H1481–H1489. , , and
- Epidemiology of pediatric obstructive sleep apnea. Proc. Am. Thorac. Soc., 2008, 5: 242–252. and
- Behavioral inhibition, heart period, and respiratory sinus arrhythmia in young children. Dev. Psychobiol., 1998, 33: 283–292. and
- Sleep apnea as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease: current evidence, basic mechanisms and research priorities. Eur. Respir. J., 2007, 29: 156–178. and
- Heart rate variability as a prognostic tool in cardiology. A contribution to the problem from a theoretical point of view. Circulation, 1994, 90: 1078–1082. , , et al.
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia: endogenous activation of nicotinic receptors mediates respiratory modulation of brainstem cardioinhibitory parasympathetic neurons. Circ. Res., 2003, 93: 565–572. , , , and
- Acute cardiovascular changes with obstructive events in children with sleep disordered breathing. Sleep, 2009, 32: 1265–1271. , , et al.
- Obstructive sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease: a perspective and future directions. Prog. Cardiovasc. Dis., 2009, 51: 434–451. and
- Assessment of cardiac autonomic modulation during adolescent obesity. Obesity, 2003, 11: 541–548. , , et al.
- A Manual of Standarized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages in Human Subjects. Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, Los Angeles, 1968. and
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia during stress predicts resting respiratory sinus arrhythmia 3 years later in a pediatric sample. Health Psychol., 2005, 24: 68–76.
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia in humans: an obligatory role for vagal feedback from the lungs. J. Appl. Physiol., 1995, 78: 638–645. , , , and
- Sex differences in cardiac sympathovagal balance and vagal tone during nocturnal sleep. Sleep Med., 2008, 9: 310–316. , , , and
- Heart rate variability during specific sleep stages: a comparison of healthy subjects with patients after myocardial infarction. Circulation, 1995, 91: 1918–1922. , , , , and .
- Increased sympathetic and decreased parasympathetic cardiovascular modulation in normal humans with acute sleep deprivation. J. Appl. Physiol., 2005, 98: 2024–2032. , , et al.