Attentional control and sleep apnea
Attentional control is partially impaired in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
Version of Record online: 16 FEB 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 422–429, August 2013
How to Cite
Tulek, B., Atalay, N. B., Kanat, F. and Suerdem, M. (2013), Attentional control is partially impaired in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 422–429. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12038
- Issue online: 16 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUN 2012
- Relationship between obstructive sleep apnea severity and brain activation during a sustained attention task. Sleep, 2009, 32: 373–381. , , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea and the prefrontal cortex: towards a comprehensive model linking nocturnal upper airway obstruction to daytime cognitive and behavioral deficits. J. Sleep Res., 2002, 11: 1–16. and
- The neuropsychological effects of obstructive sleep apnea: a meta-analysis of norm-referenced and case-controlled data. Sleep, 2003, 26: 298–307. , , , and
- Conflict monitoring and cognitive control. Psychol. Rev., 2001, 108: 624–652. , , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea: brain structural changes and neurocognitive function before and after treatment. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2011, 183: 1419–1426. , , et al.
- G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav. Res. Meth., 2007, 39: 175–191. , , and
- [Reliability and validity of the standardized Mini Mental State Examination in the diagnosis of mild dementia in Turkish population]. Turk Psikiyatri Derg., 2002, 13: 273–281. , , , and
- Beck depresyon envanteri'nin geçerliği üzerine bir çalışma. Psikol Derg., 1988, 6: 118–126.
- The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology, and Technical Specifications, 1st edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, 2007. , , and
- Reliability and validity studies of the Turkish version of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep Breath., 2008, 12: 161–168. , , , , and
- Conflict adjustment through domain-specific multiple cognitive control mechanisms. Brain Res., 2012, 1444: 55–64. , and
- Neuropsychological Assessment, 4th edn. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2004. (Muriel D. Lezak, Diane B. Howieson, David W. Loring with H. Julia Hannay and Jill S. Fischer edition). , and .
- Neural correlates of post-error slowing during a stop signal task: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 2008, 20: 1021–1029. , , , , and
- Dissociating the role of the dorsolateral prefrontal and anterior cingulate cortex in cognitive control. Science, 2000, 288: 1835–1838. , , and
- Half a century of research on the Stroop effect: an integrative review. Psychol. Bull., 1991, 109: 163–203.
- Most obstructive sleep apnea patients exhibit vigilance and attention deficits on an extended battery of tests. Eur. Respir. J., 2005, 25: 75–80. , , , , and
- The unity and diversity of executive functions and their contributions to complex ‘Frontal Lobe' tasks: a latent variable analysis. Cogn. Psychol., 2000, 41: 49–100. , , , , and
- Deficits of cognitive executive functions in patients with sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep, 1995, 18: 43–52. , , et al.
- Durumluk-Sürekli Kaygı Envanteri Elkitabı. Boğaziçi Üniversitesi Yayınları, Istanbul, 1985. and .
- The association between obstructive sleep apnea and neurocognitive performance – the Apnea Positive Pressure Long-term Efficacy Study (APPLES). Sleep, 2011, 34: 303–314B. , , et al.
- Executive dysfunction in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Eur. Neurol., 2009, 62: 237–242. , , and
- Functional imaging of working memory in obstructive sleep-disordered breathing. J. Appl. Physiol., 2005, 98: 2226–2234. , , , and
- Executive control of attention in sleep apnea patients: theoretical concepts and methodological considerations. Sleep Med. Rev., 2004, 8: 257–267. and
- Executive function in sleep apnea: controlling for attentional capacity in assessing executive attention. Sleep, 2004, 27: 685–693. , , and
- A functional MRI evaluation of frontal dysfunction in patients with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 335–340. , , , and