Regular Research Paper
A time sequence analysis of the relationship between cardiovascular risk factors, vascular diseases and restless legs syndrome in the general population
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 434–442, August 2013
How to Cite
Szentkirályi, A., Völzke, H., Hoffmann, W., Happe, S. and Berger, K. (2013), A time sequence analysis of the relationship between cardiovascular risk factors, vascular diseases and restless legs syndrome in the general population. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 434–442. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12040
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 2 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2012
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Ministers of Cultural and Social Affairs of the Federal State of Mecklenburg—West Pomerania
- Anatomisch-therapeutisch-chemische-Klassifikation mit Tagesdosen (Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical Classification System with Defined Daily Doses). Amtliche Fassung des ATC-Index mit DDD-Angaben für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland im Jahr 2006. Deutsches Institut für Medizinische Dokumentation und Information (DIMDI), Köln, 2006: 309.
- Iron metabolism and the risk of restless legs syndrome in an elderly general population—the MEMO-study. J. Neurol., 2002, 249: 1195–1199. , , , , and
- Sex and the risk of restless legs syndrome in the general population. Arch. Intern. Med., 2004, 164: 196–202. , , , and
- Absence of cardiovascular disease risk factors in restless legs syndrome. Acta Neurol. Scand., 2012, 125: 319–325. , , et al.
- Obesity and restless legs syndrome in men and women. Neurology, 2009, 72: 1255–1261. , , and
- Treatment wish of individuals with known and unknown restless legs syndrome in the community. J. Neurol., 2008, 255: 1365–1371. , , and
- Study of Health In Pomerania (SHIP): a health examination survey in an east German region: objectives and design. Soz. Praventivmed., 2001, 46: 186–194. , , et al.
- Association of incident cardiovascular disease with periodic limb movements during sleep in older men: outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older Men (MrOS) study. Circulation, 2011, 124: 1223–1231. , , , , and
- Poststroke restless legs syndrome and lesion location: anatomical considerations. Mov. Disord., 2009, 24: 77–84. , , , , and
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate. Ann. Intern. Med., 2009, 150: 604–612. , , et al.
- Prospective study of restless legs syndrome and coronary heart disease among women. Circulation, 2012, 126: 1689–1694. , , , , and
- Periodic limb movements in sleep are associated with stroke and cardiovascular risk factors in patients with renal failure. J. Sleep Res., 2012, 21: 297–307. , , et al.
- Restless legs syndrome and quality of sleep in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 2005, 28: 2633–2636. , , et al.
- Clinical, polysomnographic, and genetic characteristics of restless legs syndrome: a study of 133 patients diagnosed with new standard criteria. Mov. Disord., 1997, 12: 61–65. , , , , and
- The restless leg syndrome. Can. Med. Assoc. J., 1967, 96: 1571–1574.
- Overweight children and adolescents: a risk group for iron deficiency. Pediatrics, 2004, 114: 104–108. , , , and
- Prevalence of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder in the general population. J. Psychosom. Res., 2002, 53: 547–554. and
- Nocturnal blood pressure changes in patients with restless legs syndrome. Neurology, 2007, 68: 1213–1218. , , , and
- Prevalence and risk factors of RLS in an elderly population: the MEMO study. Memory and morbidity in Augsburg elderly. Neurology, 2000, 54: 1064–1068. , , , and
- Cardiovascular risk factors in restless legs syndrome. Mov. Disord., 2009, 24: 1587–1592. , , , and
- Incidence of restless legs syndrome in two population-based cohort studies in Germany. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 815–820. , , , and
- Prevalence of restless legs syndrome among men aged 18 to 64 years: an association with somatic disease and neuropsychiatric symptoms. Mov. Disord., 2001, 16: 1159–1163. , , and
- Toward a better definition of the restless legs syndrome. The International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group. Mov. Disord., 1995, 10: 634–642.
- Review of the relationship of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movements in sleep to hypertension, heart disease, and stroke. Sleep, 2009, 32: 589–597. and
- Prevalence of stroke in restless legs syndrome: initial results point to the need for more sophisticated studies. Open Neurol. J., 2010, 4: 73–77. , , et al.
- Peripheral vasoconstriction in patients with sleep related periodic leg movements. Sleep, 1988, 11: 182–186. , and
- Association of restless legs syndrome and cardiovascular disease in the Sleep Heart Health Study. Neurology, 2008, 70: 35–42. , , and
- Restless legs syndrome and risk of incident cardiovascular disease in women and men: prospective cohort study. BMJ Open, 2012, 2: e000866. , , et al.