Regular Research Paper
The subjective–objective mismatch in sleep perception among those with insomnia and sleep apnea
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 5, pages 557–568, October 2013
How to Cite
Bianchi, M. T., Williams, K. L., Mckinney, S. and Ellenbogen, J. M. (2013), The subjective–objective mismatch in sleep perception among those with insomnia and sleep apnea. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 557–568. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12046
- Issue online: 13 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAY 2012
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Discrimination of two sleep stages by human subjects. Psychophysiology, 1967, 4: 48–55.
- The parable of parabola: what the U-shaped curve can and cannot tell us about sleep. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1614–1615. and
- The consequences of a week of insomnia. Sleep, 1996, 19: 453–461. and
- Physiological activation in patients with Sleep State Misperception. Psychosom. Med., 1997, 59: 533–540. and
- Insomnia, metabolic rate and sleep restoration. J. Intern. Med., 2003, 254: 23–31. and
- Hyperarousal and insomnia: state of the science. Sleep Med. Rev., 2010, 14: 9–15. and
- Training subjective insomniacs to accurately perceive sleep onset. Sleep, 1992, 15: 58–63. and
- The distribution and clinical significance of sleep time misperceptions among insomniacs. Sleep, 1995, 18: 232–239. and
- Subtyping primary insomnia: is sleep state misperception a distinct clinical entity? Sleep Med. Rev., 2003, 7: 203–214. and
- Sleep variability across consecutive nights of home monitoring in older mixed DIMS patients. Sleep, 1991, 14: 13–17. , , , and
- The empirical identification of insomnia subtypes: a cluster analytic approach. Sleep, 1996, 19: 398–411. , , et al.
- Insomnia and the eye of the beholder: are there clinical markers of objective sleep disturbances among adults with and without insomnia complaints? J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 2000, 68: 586–593. , , et al.
- Classification algorithms for predicting sleepiness and sleep apnea severity. J. Sleep Res., 2012, 21: 101–112. , , , and
- Interfering with theories of sleep and memory: sleep, declarative memory, and associative interference. Curr. Biol., 2006, 16: 1290–1294. , , , and
- Clinical guideline for the evaluation, management and long-term care of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2009, 5: 263–276. , , et al.
- Dismantling multicomponent behavioral treatment for insomnia in older adults: a randomized controlled trial. Sleep, 2012, 35: 797–805. , , and
- Sleep misperception and chronic insomnia in the general population: role of objective sleep duration and psychological profiles. Psychosom. Med., 2011, 73: 88–97. , , et al.
- Time estimation in good and poor sleepers. J. Behav. Med., 2005, 28: 537–553. , , , and
- Recorded and reported sleep in chronic primary insomnia. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1976, 33: 615–623. , , and
- Sleep education for paradoxical insomnia. Behav. Sleep Med., 2011, 9: 266–272. , , , , and
- Relation of sleepiness to respiratory disturbance index: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1999, 159: 502–507. , , et al.
- (Mis)perception of sleep in insomnia: a puzzle and a resolution. Psychol. Bull., 2012, 138: 77–101. and
- Meta-analysis of benzodiazepine use in the treatment of insomnia. CMAJ, 2000, 162: 225–233. , , , and
- International Classification of Sleep Disorders (ICSD). Diagnostic & Coding Manual, 2nd edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2005.
- Insomnia and the performance of US workers: results from the America insomnia survey. Sleep, 2011, 34: 1161–1171. , , et al.
- Measuring the error in sleep estimation in normal subjects and in patients with insomnia. J. Sleep Res., 2010, 19: 478–486. , , et al.
- Light sleep and sleep time misperception – relationship to alpha-delta sleep. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2010, 121: 704–711. , and
- Subjective estimates of sleep differ from polysomnographic measurements in obstructive sleep apnea patients. Sleep, 1995, 18: 646–650. , , , and
- Accuracy of sleep perceptions among insomnia sufferers and normal sleepers. Sleep Med., 2003, 4: 285–296. , , and
- Insomniacs' perception of wake instead of sleep. Sleep, 2002, 25: 564–571. , and
- The process of falling asleep. Sleep Med. Rev., 2001, 5: 247–270.
- Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1255–1273. , , and
- Paradoxical insomnia: the role of CAP and arousals in sleep misperception. Sleep Med., 2009, 10: 1139–1145. , , , and
- Psychophysiological insomnia: the behavioural model and a neurocognitive perspective. J. Sleep Res., 1997, 6: 179–188. , , , and
- Does insomnia kill? Sleep, 2005, 28: 965–971. and
- Insomnia and daytime functioning. Sleep Med. Rev., 2000, 4: 277–298. and
- Time estimation in chronic insomnia sufferers. Sleep, 2006, 29: 486–493. , and
- Reported chronic insomnia is independent of poor sleep as measured by electroencephalography. Psychosom. Med., 2000, 62: 474–482. and
- Long-term study of the sleep of insomnia patients with sleep state misperception and other insomnia patients. Am. J. Psychiatry, 1992, 149: 904–908. , , , and
- Sleep, its subjective perception, and daytime performance in insomniacs with a pattern of alpha sleep. Biol. Psychiatry, 1995, 37: 99–105. and
- Misperception of sleep can adversely affect daytime functioning in insomnia. Behav. Res. Ther., 2005, 43: 843–856. and
- Altering misperception of sleep in insomnia: behavioral experiment versus verbal feedback. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 2006, 74: 767–776. and
- Predictability of sleep in patients with insomnia. Sleep, 2011, 34: 609–617. , , and
- Sleep latency and duration estimates among sleep disorder patients: variability as a function of sleep disorder diagnosis, sleep history, and psychological characteristics. Sleep, 2000, 23: 71–79. , , , and
- Insomnia with short sleep duration and mortality: the Penn State cohort. Sleep, 2010, 33: 1159–1164. , , et al.
- When sleep is perceived as wakefulness: an experimental study on state perception during physiological sleep. J. Sleep Res., 2007, 16: 346–353. , and
- Mesograde amnesia during the sleep onset transition: replication and electrophysiological correlates. Sleep, 1997, 20: 512–522. , , and