Both authors contributed equally to this study.
Regular Research Paper
Genetic and environmental influences on sleep quality in middle-aged men: a twin study
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 5, pages 519–526, October 2013
How to Cite
Genderson, M. R., Rana, B. K., Panizzon, M. S., Grant, M. D., Toomey, R., Jacobson, K. C., Xian, H., Cronin-Golomb, A., Franz, C. E., Kremen, W. S. and Lyons, M. J. (2013), Genetic and environmental influences on sleep quality in middle-aged men: a twin study. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 519–526. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12048
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 OCT 2012
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute on Aging (NIH/NIA). Grant Numbers: K01 AG035031, B.K.R.; R01 AG018386, R01 AG022381 and R01 AG022982, W.S.K.; R01 AG018384 M.J.L.
- Factor analysis and AIC. Psychometrika, 1987, 52: 317–32.
- Quantitative genetic research on sleep: a review of normal sleep, sleep disturbances and associated emotional, behavioural, and health-related difficulties. Sleep Med. Rev., 2013, 17: 29–40. and
- Diurnal preference and sleep quality: same genes? A study of young adult twins. Chronobiol. Int., 2010a, 27: 278–296. , , , ,
- Genetic and environmental influences on different components of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and their overlap. Sleep, 2010b, 33: 659–668. , , , ,
- Dependent negative life events and sleep quality: an examination of gene–environment interplay. Sleep Med., 2011, 12: 403–409. , , ,
- Nonshared environmental influences on sleep quality: a study of monozygotic twin differences. Behav. Genet., 2012, 42: 234–244. , , , ,
- Validation of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in older black and white women. Sleep Med., 2012, 13: 36–42. , , et al.
- Genetic and environmental factors shape infant sleep patterns: a study of 18-month-old twins. Pediatrics, 2011, 127: e1296–e1302. , , et al.
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , , , ,
- Quantity and quality of sleep and incidence of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Care, 2010, 33: 414–420. , , ,
- Centers for Disease Control. Public health and aging: trends in aging—United States and worldwide. Morb. Mortal. Wkly Rep., 2003, 52: 101–104, 106.
- The Vietnam Era Twin (VET) Registry: method of construction. Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. (Roma), 1987, 36: 61–66. , , , ,
- Association of sleep duration and hypertension among US adults varies by age and sex. Am. J. Hypertens., 2012, 25: 335–341. , , , , ,
- Genetic and environmental influences on infant sleep. Pediatrics, 2012, 129: 1091–1096. , , ,
- Short sleep duration as a risk factor for hypertension: analyses of the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Hypertension, 2006, 47: 833–839. , , et al.
- A twin-study of sleep difficulties in school-aged children. Child Dev., 2006, 77: 1668–1679. , ,
- Evidence for genetic influences on sleep disturbance and sleep pattern in twins. Sleep, 1990, 13: 318–335. , , ,
- The Vietnam Era Twin Registry: a resource for medical research. Public Health Rep., 1990, 105: 368–373. , , , , ,
- Sleep duration and sleep quality in relation to 12-year cardiovascular disease incidence: the MORGEN study. Sleep, 2011, 34: 1487–1492. , , , ,
- Heritability and mortality risk of insomnia-related symptoms: a genetic epidemiologic study in a population-based twin cohort. Sleep, 2011, 34: 957–964. , , ,
- Stability of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the Epworth Sleepiness Questionnaires over 1 year in early middle-aged adults: the CARDIA study. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1503–1506. , , , ,
- Genes, environment, and time: the Vietnam Era Twin Study of Aging (VETSA). Twin Res. Hum. Genet., 2006, 9: 1009–1022. , , et al.
- Exploration of basal diurnal salivary cortisol profiles in middle-aged adults: associations with sleep quality and metabolic parameters. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2008, 33: 143–151. , , ,
- A population-based twin study on sleep duration and body composition. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2012, 20: 192–199. , , et al.
- Insomnia in Vietnam era veteran twins: influence of genes and combat experience. Sleep, 1994, 17: 456–461. , , ,
- Inflammation and sleep in healthy individuals. Sleep, 2007, 30: 729–735. , , , , ,
- Genetic and environmental influences on sleep problems: a study of preadolescent and adolescent twins. Child Care Health Dev., 2011, 37: 638–641. , , , ,
- Insomnia: Psychological Assessment and Management. Guilford Press, New York, 1993.
- Methodology for Genetic Studies of Twins and Families. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, 1992. and .
- Mx: Statistical Modeling, 6th edn. Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA, 2004. , , ,
- Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1255–1273. , , ,
- Genetic architecture of learning and delayed recall: a twin study of episodic memory. Neuropsychology, 2011, 25: 488–498. , , et al.
- Genetic and environmental determination of human sleep. Sleep, 1983, 6: 179–185. , , , ,
- Sleep quality and 1-year incident cognitive impairment in community-dwelling older adults. Sleep, 2012, 35: 491–499. , , et al.
- Shorter leukocyte telomere length in midlife women with poor sleep quality. J. Aging Res., 2011, 2011: 721390. , , et al.
- Genetic and environmental influences on insomnia, daytime sleepiness, and obesity in twins. Sleep, 2006, 29: 645–649. , , ,