Regular Research Paper
Poor sleep quality impairs cognitive performance in older adults
Article first published online: 6 APR 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 5, pages 535–541, October 2013
How to Cite
Miyata, S., Noda, A., Iwamoto, K., Kawano, N., Okuda, M. and Ozaki, N. (2013), Poor sleep quality impairs cognitive performance in older adults. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 535–541. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12054
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 6 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 AUG 2012
- Chubu University
- Sleep and its disorders in aging populations. Sleep Med., 2009, 10(Suppl 1): S7–S11.
- Poor sleep is associated with impaired cognitive function in older women: the study of osteoporotic fractures. J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci., 2006, 61: 405–410. , , et al.
- Osteoporotic fractures in men (MrOS) study group. Factors that may influence the classification of sleep-wake by wrist actigraphy: the MrOS Sleep Study. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2011, 7: 357–367. , , and
- Normal aging. In: M. H. Kryger, T. Roth and W. C. Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, 2011: 27–41.
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , , , and
- Sleep and hypertension. Chest, 2010, 138: 434–443. and
- Abnormal fMRI response of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in cognitively intact siblings of patients with schizophrenia. Am. J. Psychiatry, 2003, 160: 709–719. , , et al.
- Brain plasticity, sleep and aging. Gerontology, 2012, 58: 441–445.
- Clinical guidelines for the use of unattended portable monitors in the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea in adult patients. Portable Monitoring Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2007, 3: 737–747. , , et al.
- The continuous performance test, identical pairs version (CPT-IP): I. new findings about sustained attention in normal families. Psychiatry Res., 1988, 26: 223–238. , , , and
- Levels of processing: past, present and future? Memory, 2002, 10: 305–318.
- Adult age differences in working memory. Psychol. Aging, 1989, 4: 500–503. and
- Time estimation in good and poor sleepers. J. Behav. Med., 2005, 28: 537–553. , , , and
- Differential age effects in load-dependent memory processing. Neuropsychol. Dev. Cogn. B Aging Neuropsychol. Cogn., 2009, 16: 80–102. , , and
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep, 1991, 14: 540–545.
- Psychological and health-related quality of life factors associated with insomnia in a population-based sample. J. Psychosom. Res., 2007, 63: 157–166. , , , , and
- Insufficient sleep impairs driving performance and cognitive function. Neurosci. Lett., 2010, 469: 229–233. , , et al.
- Self-reported sleep quality predicts poor cognitive performance in healthy older adults. J. Gerontol. B Psychol. Sci. Soc. Sci., 2009, 64: 180–187. , , , and
- Sleep disorders in the older adult – a mini-review. Gerontology, 2010, 56: 181–189. and
- Effect of aging on cardiac and electroencephalographic arousal in sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 1995, 43: 1070–1071. , , , , and
- Prognosis of the middle-aged and aged patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci., 1998, 52: 79–85. , , , , and
- Age related differences in electroencephalographic and cardiac arousal at the termination of sleep apnea/hypopnea. Intern. Med., 2000, 39: 375–380. , , , , and
- Monitoring sleep-wake rhythm with actigraphy in patients on continuous positive airway pressure therapy. Respiration, 2011, 82: 136–141. , , et al.
- Age-related changes in the cognitive function of sleep. Prog. Brain Res., 2011, 191: 75–89. and
- Prevalence of mild cognitive impairment is higher in men. The Mayo Clinic Study of Aging. Neurology, 2010, 75: 889–897. , , et al.
- Brain aging: reorganizing discoveries about the aging mind. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol., 2005, 15: 245–251. and
- Selective review of cognitive aging. J. Int. Neuropsychol. Soc., 2010, 16: 754–760.
- Cognitive function and sleep related breathing disorders in a healthy elderly population: the SYNAPSE study. Sleep, 2010, 33: 515–521. , , et al.
- The association of self-reported sleep duration, difficulty sleeping, and snoring with cognitive function in older women. Alzheimer Dis. Assoc. Disord., 2006, 20: 41–48. , , and
- Sleep and the epidemic of obesity in children and adults. Eur. J. Endocrinol., 2008, 159(Suppl 1): S59–S66. and
- Sustained attention to response task (SART) shows impaired vigilance in a spectrum of disorders of excessive daytime sleepiness. J. Sleep Res., 2012, 21: 390–395. , , , , and
- Short or long sleep duration is associated with memory impairment in older Chinese: the Guangzhou Biobank Cohort Study. Sleep, 2011, 34: 575–580. , , et al.
- Sleep-disordered breathing, hypoxia, and risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia in older women. JAMA, 2011, 306: 613–619. , , et al.