Regular Research Paper
Can we predict sleep-disordered breathing in pregnancy? The clinical utility of symptoms
Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 6, pages 670–678, December 2013
How to Cite
Wilson, D. L., Walker, S. P., Fung, A. M., O'Donoghue, F., Barnes, M. and Howard, M. (2013), Can we predict sleep-disordered breathing in pregnancy? The clinical utility of symptoms. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 670–678. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12063
- Issue online: 13 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 DEC 2012
- the Austin Medical Research Foundation
- Australian Stillbirth Alliance
- the Medical Research Foundation for Women and Babies
- Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in women: effects of gender. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 163: 608–613. , , et al.
- Pregnancy and fetal outcomes of symptoms of sleep-disordered breathing. Eur. Respir. J., 2010, 36: 849–855. , , and
- Obstructive sleep apnea and the risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol., 2011, 206: 136. , , , , and
- Sleepiness, fatigue, tiredness, and lack of energy in obstructive sleep apnea. Chest, 2000, 118: 372–379.
- STOP questionnaire: a tool to screen patients for obstructive sleep apnea. Anesthesiology, 2008, 108: 812–821. , , et al.
- Nasal continuous positive airway pressure reduces sleep-induced blood pressure increments in preeclampsia. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2000, 162: 252–257. , , , and
- Development of a pregnancy-specific screening tool for sleep apnea. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2012, 8: 389–394. , , and
- Snoring, pregnancy-induced hypertension, and growth retardation of the fetus. Chest, 2000, 117: 137–141. , , , , and
- A clinical investigation of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) and upper airway resistance syndrome (UARS) patients. Sleep Med., 2000a, 1: 51–56. , , and
- Normal pregnancy, daytime sleeping, snoring and blood pressure. Sleep Med., 2000b, 1: 289–297. , , and
- The Berlin Questionnaire for assessment of sleep disordered breathing risk in parturients and non-pregnant women. Int. J. Obstet. Anesth., 2011, 20: 22–25. , , , , and
- the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, 1st edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2007. , , and for
- A survey screen for prediction of apnea. Sleep, 1995, 18: 158–166. , , et al.
- Validation study methods for estimating exposure proportions and odds ratios with misclassified data. J. Clin. Epidemiol., 1990, 43: 941–947.
- Using the Berlin Questionnaire to identify patients at risk for the sleep apnea syndrome. Ann. Intern. Med., 1999, 131: 485–491. , , , and
- Gender differences in the polysomnographic features of obstructive sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2000, 161: 1465–1472. , and
- Prospective trial on obstructive sleep apnea in pregnancy and fetal heart rate monitoring. Obstet. Gynecol., 2010, 202: 552. , , et al.
- Obstructive sleep apnea screening in pregnancy, perinatal outcomes, and impact of maternal obesity. Am. J. Perinatol., 2011, 28: 651–658. , , et al.
- Changes in symptoms of sleep-disordered breathing during pregnancy. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1299–1305. , , , and
- Pre-eclampsia and nasal CPAP: part 2 Hypertension during pregnancy, chronic snoring, and early nasal CPAP intervention. Sleep Med., 2007, 9: 15–21. , , et al.
- Gender differences in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: a clinical study of 1166 patients. Respir. Med., 2004, 98: 984–989. , , et al.
- Gender differences in sleep disordered breathing in a community-based sample. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 1994, 149: 722–726. , , , and
- Sleep disturbances and their relationship to glucose tolerance in pregnancy. Diabetes Care, 2011, 34: 2454–2457. , , et al.
- The use of clinical prediction formulas in the evaluation of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 2000, 23: 929–938. , and
- Differences between men and women in the clinical presentation of patients diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep, 2005, 28: 309–314. , and
- Simple four-variable screening tool for identification of patients with sleep disordered breathing. Sleep, 2009, 32: 939–948. , , et al.
- Decreased sleep efficiency, increased wake after sleep onset and increased cortical arousals in late pregnancy. Aust. N.Z. J. Obstet. Gynaecol., 2011, 51: 38–46. , , , , and
- The gender bias in sleep apnea diagnosis Are women missed because they have different symptoms? Arch. Intern. Med., 1996, 156: 2445–2451. , , , and
- Menopausal status and sleep-disordered breathing in the Wisconsin Sleep Cohort Study. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2003, 167: 1181–1183. , , and
- Excess weight and sleep-disordered breathing. J. Appl. Physiol., 2005, 99: 1592–1599. , and