Regular Research Paper
Sex differences in objective measures of sleep in post-traumatic stress disorder and healthy control subjects
Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 22, Issue 6, pages 679–687, December 2013
How to Cite
Richards, A., Metzler, T. J., Ruoff, L. M., Inslicht, S. S., Rao, M., Talbot, L. S. and Neylan, T. C. (2013), Sex differences in objective measures of sleep in post-traumatic stress disorder and healthy control subjects. Journal of Sleep Research, 22: 679–687. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12064
- Issue online: 13 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 DEC 2012
- National Institute for Mental Health. Grant Numbers: 5R01MH073978-04, 5R34MH077667-03
- Mental Illness Research and Education Clinical Center of the US Veterans Health Administration and the Clinical Research Center of the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: UL1 RR024131
- Processing of emotional reactivity and emotional memory over sleep. J. Neurosci., 2012, 32: 1035–1042. , , and
- The development of a clinician-administered PTSD scale. J. Trauma. Stress, 1995, 8: 75–90. , , et al.
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and physical illness: results from clinical and epidemiologic studies. Ann. NY Acad. Sci., 2004, 1032: 141–153.
- Sleep in lifetime posttraumatic stress disorder: a community-based polysomnographic study. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 2004, 61: 508–516. , , , , and
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , , , and
- Why sex matters for neuroscience. Nat. Rev. Neurosci., 2006, 7: 477–484.
- Quantitative electroencephalography during rapid eye movement (REM) and non-REM sleep in combat-exposed veterans with and without post-traumatic stress disorder. J. Sleep Res., 2013, 22: 76–82. , , et al.
- Sleep disturbances as the hallmark of PTSD: where are we now? Am. J. Psychiatry, 2013, 170: 372–382.
- A brief sleep scale for posttraumatic stress disorder: pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index addendum for PTSD. J. Anxiety Disord., 2005, 19: 233–244. , , , and
- Ecological study of sleep disruption in PTSD: a pilot study. Ann. NY Acad. Sci., 2006, 1071: 438–441. , , , and
- Sleep findings in young adult patients with posttraumatic stress disorder. Biol. Psychiatry, 2007, 62: 1179–1182. , , , and
- Polysomnographically measured sleep abnormalities in PTSD: a meta-analytic review. Psychophysiology, 2007, 44: 660–669. , and
- Quantitative electroencephalogram (EEG) in insomnia: a new window on pathophysiological mechanisms. Curr. Pharm. Des., 2008, 14: 3446–3455. , , and
- Relationships between REM sleep findings and PTSD symptoms during the early aftermath of trauma. J. Trauma. Stress, 2007, 20: 893–901. , , and
- Delta sleep response to metyrapone in post-traumatic stress disorder. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2003, 28: 1666–1676. , , et al.
- Neuroendocrine regulation of sleep disturbances in PTSD. Ann. NY Acad. Sci., 2006, 1071: 203–215. , , and
- REM sleep, prefrontal theta, and the consolidation of human emotional memory. Cereb. Cortex, 2009, 19: 1158–1166. , , and
- Childhood trauma associated with short leukocyte telomere length in posttraumatic stress disorder. Biol. Psychiatry, 2011, 70: 465–471. , , et al.
- Psychophysiology of post-traumatic stress disorder. Psychiatr. Clin. North Am., 2002, 25: 271–293. , and
- Effects of metyrapone on hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis and sleep in women with post-traumatic stress disorder. Biol. Psychiatry, 2007, 61: 952–956. , , , , and
- REM sleep dysregulation in depression: state of the art. Sleep Med. Rev., 2013, Feb 4. pii: S1087-0792(12)00120-7. , , , and
- A meta-analysis of electroencephalographic sleep in depression: evidence for genetic biomarkers. Biol. Psychiatry, 2011, 70: 912–919. , and
- Psychophysiological alterations in post-traumatic stress disorder. Semin. Clin. Neuropsychiatry, 1999, 4: 234–241. , , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. National Institutes of Health Publication no. 204. US Government Printing Office, Washington DC, 1968. and .
- Relationships between sleep quality and glucose regulation in normal humans. Am. J. Physiol., 1996, 271: E261–E270. , , , and
- The Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R (SCID). I: history, rationale, and description. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1992, 49: 624–629. , , and
- Disturbed sleep in post-traumatic stress disorder: secondary symptom or core feature? Sleep Med. Rev., 2008, 12: 169–184. and
- Slow-wave sleep and the risk of type 2 diabetes in humans. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 2008, 105: 1044–1049. , , and
- PTSD-related hyperarousal assessed during sleep. Physiol. Behav., 2000, 70: 197–203. , and
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and risk of dementia among US veterans. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 2010, 67: 608–613. , , et al.