Cardiometabolic Markers and Sleep
Time in bed, sleep quality and associations with cardiometabolic markers in children: the Prevention and Incidence of Asthma and Mite Allergy birth cohort study
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
© 2013 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 3–12, February 2014
How to Cite
Berentzen, N. E., Smit, H. A., Bekkers, M. B. M., Brunekreef, B., Koppelman, G. H., De Jongste, J. C., Kerkhof, M., Van Rossem, L. and Wijga, A. H. (2014), Time in bed, sleep quality and associations with cardiometabolic markers in children: the Prevention and Incidence of Asthma and Mite Allergy birth cohort study. Journal of Sleep Research, 23: 3–12. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12087
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAY 2013
- Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development
- Netherlands Asthma Foundation
- Netherlands Ministry of Planning, Housing and the Environment
- Netherlands Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport
- Institute for Public Health and the Environment
- Effects of sleep patterns and obesity on increases in blood pressure in a 5-year period: report from the Tucson Children's Assessment of Sleep Apnea Study. J. Pediatr., 2012, 161: 26–30. , , and
- Sleep duration and blood pressure in children: a cross-sectional study. J. Hypertens., 2009, 27: 1789–1793. , and
- Sleep in overweight adolescents: shorter sleep, poorer sleep quality, sleepiness, and sleep-disordered breathing. J. Pediatr. Psychol., 2007, 32: 69–79. , , et al.
- Sleep disordered breathing in children in a general population sample: prevalence and risk factors. Sleep, 2009, 32: 731–736. , , et al.
- The association between sleep duration, body mass index and metabolic measures in the Hordaland Health Study. J. Sleep Res., 2007, 16: 66–76. , , et al.
- Shortened sleep duration does not predict obesity in adolescents. J. Sleep Res., 2010, 19: 559–566. , , et al.
- Tracking of cardiometabolic risk factor clustering from childhood to adulthood. Int. J. Pediatr. Obes., 2010, 5: 122–129. and
- Meta-analysis of short sleep duration and obesity in children and adults. Sleep, 2008, 31: 619–626. , , et al.
- Sleep duration and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Sleep, 2010, 33: 585–592. , , and
- Relationship between short sleeping hours and childhood overweight/obesity: results from the ‘Quebec en Forme’ Project. Int. J. Obes. (Lond.), 2006, 30: 1080–1085. , and
- Is sleep duration associated with childhood obesity? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2008, 16: 265–274. , and
- Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ, 2000, 320: 1240–1243. , , and
- No independent association between insufficient sleep and childhood obesity in the National Survey of Children's Health. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2011, 7: 153–157. , and
- Determinants and impact of sleep duration in children and adolescents: data of the Kiel obesity prevention study. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr., 2009, 63: 739–746. , , et al.
- Sleep duration and sleep quality in relation to 12-year cardiovascular disease incidence: the MORGEN study. Sleep, 2011, 34: 1487–1492. , , , and
- Sleep quality and elevated blood pressure in adolescents. Circulation, 2008, 118: 1034–1040. , , and
- The association between pubertal status and sleep duration and quality among a nationally representative sample of US adolescents. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 2005, 17: 418–424.
- Sleep architecture and glucose and insulin homeostasis in obese adolescents. Diabetes Care, 2011, 34: 2442–2447. , , , , and
- Poor sleep and cardiovascular function in children. Hypertension, 2011, 58: 16–21. , , et al.
- Low sleep and low socioeconomic status predict high body mass index: a 4-year longitudinal study of Australian schoolchildren. Pediatr. Obes., 2012, 7: 295–303. , and
- Sleep duration or bedtime? Exploring the relationship between sleep habits and weight status and activity patterns. Sleep, 2011, 34: 1299–1307. , and
- Television-viewing habits and sleep disturbance in school children. Pediatrics, 1999, 104: e27. , , , , and
- The role and validity of actigraphy in sleep medicine: an update. Sleep Med. Rev., 2011, 15: 259–267.
- Estimating adolescent sleep patterns: parent reports versus adolescent self-report surveys, sleep diaries, and actigraphy. Nat. Sci. Sleep, 2013, 5: 23–26. , , , and
- Sleep loss: a novel risk factor for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. J. Appl. Physiol., 2005, 99: 2008–2019. , , , and
- Does sleep duration predict metabolic risk in obese adolescents attending tertiary services? A cross-sectional study. Sleep, 2011, 34: 891–898. , , et al.
- Metabolic consequences of sleep and sleep loss. Sleep Med., 2008, 9: S23–S28. , , and
- Cohort profile: the Prevention and Incidence of Asthma and Mite Allergy (PIAMA) birth cohort. Int. J. Epidemiol., 2013, Doi:10.1093/ije/dys231. Epub ahead of print. , , . et al.