Dive-Related Fatalities Among Tourist and Local Divers in the Northern Croatian Littoral (1980–2010)
Article first published online: 31 JAN 2013
© 2013 International Society of Travel Medicine
Journal of Travel Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 101–106, March/April 2013
How to Cite
Stemberga, V., Petaros, A., Rasic, V., Azman, J., Sosa, I., Coklo, M., Uhac, I. and Bosnar, A. (2013), Dive-Related Fatalities Among Tourist and Local Divers in the Northern Croatian Littoral (1980–2010). Journal of Travel Medicine, 20: 101–106. doi: 10.1111/jtm.12011
- Issue published online: 7 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 31 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 25 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUL 2012
- 3Scuba diving deaths: a review and approach for the pathologist. Leg Med Annu 1977; 1976:109–132.
- 4Annual fatality rates and associated risk factors for recreational scuba diving. In: Vann RD, Lang MA, eds. Recreational diving fatalities. Proceedings of the Divers Alert Network 2010 April 8–10 Workshop. Durham, NC: Divers Alert Network, 2011:73–83., , .
- 5Recreational diving fatalities. Undersea Hyperb Med 2011; 38:257–260., .
- 6Why divers die: the facts and figures. In: Edmonds C, Lowry C, Pennefather J, eds. Diving and subaquatic medicine. 4th Ed. London: Arnold Publishing, 2002:477..
- 7Diving deaths down under. In: Vann RD, Lang MA, eds. Recreational diving fatalities. Proceedings of the Divers Alert Network 2010 April 8–10 Workshop. Durham, NC: Divers Alert Network, 2011:86–97..
- 8Managing risk in tourist diving: a safety-management approach. In: Garrod B, Gossling S, eds. New frontiers in marine tourism: diving experiences, sustainability, management. London: Elsevier, 2008:201–219., , .
- 10Pulley SA. Decompression sickness. Available at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/769717-overview. (Accessed 2012 Oct 25)
- 11Klisovic J. Nema odgovarajućeg zakona: u Jadranu roni tko i kako hoće. (There is no corresponding legislation for diving: in the Adriatic Sea dives whoever and however wants). Vjesnik. Available at: http://www.vjesnik.hr/Article.aspx?ID=8834E044-DFE8-422C-A4B6-7EA611DD359F. (Accessed 2011 Nov 8)
- 12Ministry of Maritime Affairs, Transport and Infrastructure. Ronjenje (Diving). Available at: http://www.mppi.hr/default.aspx?id=6798. (Accessed 2012 May 25)
- 13Risk management for scuba diving operators on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Tourism Manage 2000; 21:591–599., .
- 14Scuba diving fatalities in Australia and New Zealand. Part 1, The human factor. SPUMS J 1989; 19:94–104., .
- 15Project Proteus: an investigation of health factors in scuba diving. SPUMS J 1995; 25:23–24..
- 16Unexpected sudden death due to recreational swimming and diving in men in Croatia in a 14-year period. Coll Antropol 2012; 36:641–645., , , .
- 17Medical screening of recreational divers for cardiovascular disease: consensus discussion at the Divers Alert Network Fatality Workshop. Undersea Hyperb Med 2011; 38:289–296., .
- 19Alcohol, drugs, and diving: implication for health and fitness to dive. Curr Drug Abuse Rev 2012; 5:86–86., , .
- 20Snorkelling-related deaths in Australia, 1994–2006. Med J Aust 2012; 197:230–232., .
- 21Graver D. The role and responsibilities of NAUI divemasters. NAUI Diving Association News 1989; 26–30.
- 22The early warning signs of diving accidents. In: Fead L, ed. Proceedings of the 7th international conference on underwater education. Colton, CA: National Association of Underwater Instructors, 1975; 448–455..
- 23Natural observation of diving incidents. SPUMS J 1992; 22:143–147., .
- 24Divers' deaths in Split-Dalmatian County, Croatia (case study, 1994–2004). Int Marit Health 2007; 58:139–148., , , .
- 25Ergovic G. Diving. Zagreb: Croatian National Tourist Board, 2009.
- 26Ministry of maritime affairs, transport and infrastructure. Evidencija dnevnika ronjenja za 2009. godinu (Logbook records for 2009). Available at: http://www.mppi.hr/default.aspx?id=6798. (Accessed 2010 May 25)
- 27Croatian Diving Association, 2009. Opće informacije o HRS-u (General information on Croatian Diving Association). Available at: http://www.diving-hrs.hr/opcenito/opcenito.htm. (Accessed 2012 May 25)
- 28Neutral buoyancy—adventures in a liquid world. New York: Grove Press, 2011..