This paper was presented as part of the 2011 Calvin W. Schwabe Symposium honoring Dr Dale D. Hancock for lifetime achievement in veterinary epidemiology and preventive medicine, sponsored by the Association for Veterinary Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, December 2011, Chicago, IL
Evidence-Based Infection Control In Clinical Practice: If You Buy Clothes for the Emperor, Will He Wear Them?
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 27, Issue 3, pages 430–438, May/June 2013
How to Cite
Morley, P.S. (2013), Evidence-Based Infection Control In Clinical Practice: If You Buy Clothes for the Emperor, Will He Wear Them?. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 27: 430–438. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12060
- Issue published online: 9 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 DEC 2012
- 1Biosecurity and infection control for large animal practices. In: Smith BP, ed. Large Animal Internal Medicine, 4th ed. New York, NY: Elsevier; 2008:1524–1550., .
- 4Accountability for nosocomial infections. Hospitals must not rationalize their inability to deal with nosocomial infections. Healthc Exec 2005;20:48–49..
- 5Massachusetts Coalition for the Prevention of Medical Errors. When things go wrong: Responding to adverse events: A consensus statement of the Harvard hospitals. Lippincotts Case Manag 2006;11:193–194. Available at: http://www.macoalition.org/documents/respondingToAdverseEvents.pdf Accessed February 12, 2013..
- 8Benchmarking for prevention: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) system experience. Infection 2003;2:44–48..
- 11Estimating health care-associated infections and deaths in U.S. hospitals, 2002. Public Health Rep 2007;122:160–166., , . et al.
- 13The direct medical costs of healthcare-associated infections in U.S. hospitals and the benefits of prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Publication CS200891–A; 2009 Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/pdfs/hai/Scott_CostPaper.pdf. Accessed February 13, 2013..
- 16Syndromic surveillance for nosocomial infections in veterinary hospitals: comparison of prospective reporting by clinicians to retrospective chart review. Proceedings of the 89th Annual Meeting of the Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases, Chicago, 2008. Abstract 62, p 141., .
- 17Syndromic surveillance for nosocomial infections in small animal veterinary referral hospitals. Proceedings of the 93rd Annual Meeting of the Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases, Chicago, 2012. Abstract 34., , , et al.
- 43Companion animal veterinarians and antimicrobial drug use. Proceedings of the 21st annual American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Forum 2003; pp 156–158., , , .
- 44Food animal veterinarians and antimicrobial drug use. Proceedings of the 21st annual American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Forum 2003; pp 304–306., , , .
- 45Perceptions regarding workplace hazards at a veterinary referral and teaching hospital. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2010;237:93–100., , , .
- 49Knowledge and attitudes about zoonotic helminths: A survey of Connecticut pediatricians and veterinarians. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 2002;24(suppl):4–9., .
- 55American Society for Microbiology and the American Cleaning Institute. A Survey of Hand Washing Behavior. 2010 http://www.cleaninginstitute.org/assets/1/AssetManager/2010%20Hand%20Washing%20Findings.pdf. Accessed February 12, 2013.
- 57Shulman SA; Animals in Public Contact subcommittee; National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians. Reports of zoonotic disease outbreaks associated with animal exhibits and availability of recommendations for preventing zoonotic disease transmission from animals to people in such settings. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004;224:1105–1109..
- 62Canadian Committee on Antibiotic Resistance (CCAR). Infection prevention and control best practices for small animal veterinary clinics. 2008 Available at: http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/cphaz/resources/documents/GuidelinesFINALInfectionPreventionDec2008.pdf. Accessed February 13, 2013.
- 64The Emperor's New Clothes. Available at: http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/hersholt/TheEmperorsNewClothes_e.html. Accessed February 12, 2013..