Short-Term Hemodynamic and Neuroendocrine Effects of Pimobendan and Benazapril in Dogs with Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease and Congestive Heart Failure
Article first published online: 15 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 1452–1462, November/December 2013
How to Cite
Häggström, J., Lord, P.F., Höglund, K., Ljungvall, I., Jöns, O., Kvart, C. and Hansson, K. (2013), Short-Term Hemodynamic and Neuroendocrine Effects of Pimobendan and Benazapril in Dogs with Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease and Congestive Heart Failure. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 27: 1452–1462. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12217
- Issue published online: 13 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 FEB 2013
- Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health GmbH
- 3The BENCH Study Group. The effect of benazepril on survival times and clinical signs of dogs with congestive heart failure: Results of a multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, long-term clinical trial. J Vet Cardiol 1999;1:7–18.
- 4Effect of pimobendan or benazepril hydrochloride on survival times in dogs with congestive heart failure caused by naturally occurring myxomatous mitral valve disease: The QUEST Study. J Vet Intern Med 2008;22:1124–1135., , , et al.
- 5Clinical efficacy of pimobendan versus benazepril for the treatment of acquired atrioventricular valvular disease in dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2006;42:249–261., , .
- 6Effect of treatment type on vertebral heart size in dogs with myxomatous mitral valve disease. Int J Appl Res Vet Med 2007;5:43–48., , , et al.
- 10Effects of long-term treatment with enalapril or hydralazine on the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and fluid balance in dogs with naturally acquired mitral valve regurgitation. Am J Vet Res 1996;57:645–1652., , , et al.
- 14Essentials of Canine and Feline Electrocardiography, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lea & Febinger; 1985:134..
- 20The IMPROVE Study Group. Acute and short-term hemodynamic, echocardiographic, and clinical effects of enalapril maleate in dogs with naturally acquired heart failure: Results of the Invasive Multicenter PROspective Veterinary Evaluation of enalapril study. J Vet Intern Med 1995;9:234–242.
- 26Pathology of myxomatous mitral valve disease in the dog. J Vet Cardiol 2012;14:103–126..
- 30Left ventricular remodeling in preclinical experimental mitral regurgitation of dogs. J Vet Cardiol 2012;14:73–92., , , et al.
- 44The combined prognostic potential of serum high-sensitivity cardiac troponin I and N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide concentrations in dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:302–311., , , et al.
- 45Lowered N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide levels in response to treatment predict survival in dogs with symptomatic mitral valve disease. J Vet Cardiol 2012;14:399–408., , , et al.