This research was conducted at the Nestlé Purina Pet Care Center in Missouri and the Nestlé Research Center in St. Louis, MO between 2008 and 2009.
Fecal Microbiota of Cats with Naturally Occurring Chronic Diarrhea Assessed Using 16S rRNA Gene 454-Pyrosequencing before and after Dietary Treatment
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 59–65, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Ramadan, Z., Xu, H., Laflamme, D., Czarnecki-Maulden, G., Li, Q.J., Labuda, J. and Bourqui, B. (2014), Fecal Microbiota of Cats with Naturally Occurring Chronic Diarrhea Assessed Using 16S rRNA Gene 454-Pyrosequencing before and after Dietary Treatment. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 28: 59–65. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12261
This study was presented in abstract form at the 2013 ACVIM Forum, Seattle, WA.
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2013
- Nestlé Research Center
- Nestlé Purina PetCare. Grant Number: MO 63164
- 2Relationship of prebiotics and food to intestinal microflora. Eur J Nutr 2002;41(Suppl. 1):I11–I16..
- 6Molecular characterisation of the gut microflora of healthy and inflammatory bowel disease cats using fluorescence in situ hybridisation with special reference to Desulfovibrio spp. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 2007;91:48–53., , , et al.
- 9Feline inflammatory bowel disease: Treatment, prognosis, and new developments. Compendium 2001;23:964–973..
- 14Dietary trial using a commercial hypoallergenic diet containing hydrolyzed protein for dogs with inflammatory bowel disease. Vet Ther 2002;3:109–118., , .
- 22Negative fecal characteristics are associated with pH and fecal flora alterations during dietary change in dogs. Intern J Appl Res Vet Med 2011;9:278–283., , , .
- 25Molecular Characterization of the Intestinal Bacteria in Healthy Cats and a Comparison of the Fecal Bacterial Flora Between Healthy Cats and Cats with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). College Station, TX: Texas A&M University; 2008. Masters of Science Thesis..
- 38Revised road map to the phylum Firmicutes. In: DeVos P, Garrity G, Jones D, Krieg NR, Ludwig W, Rainey FA, Schleifer KH, Whitman WB (eds). Bergey's Manual of Systemic Bacteriology, volume 3, 2nd ed. New York: Springer-Verlag; 2009:1–13., , .
- 39Dietary protein concentration affects intestinal microbiota of adult cats: A study using DGGE and qPCR to evaluate differences in microbial populations in the feline gastrointestinal tract. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 2009;93:113–121., , , .