Correction made after online publication March 14, 2014: author names have been updated.
Efficacy of Omeprazole Powder Paste or Enteric-Coated Formulation in Healing of Gastric Ulcers in Horses
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2014
Copyright © 2014 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 28, Issue 3, pages 925–933, May/June 2014
How to Cite
Birkmann, K., Junge, H.K., Maischberger, E., Wehrli Eser, M. and Schwarzwald, C.C. (2014), Efficacy of Omeprazole Powder Paste or Enteric-Coated Formulation in Healing of Gastric Ulcers in Horses . Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 28: 925–933. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12341
Previous presentation: Parts of this study have been presented at the 6th Congress of the European College of Equine Internal Medicine (ECEIM), Feb 8–9, 2013, Le Touquet, France, and at the Bicentennial Congress of the Swiss Veterinary Association (GST), June 6, 2013, Berne, Switzerland
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 22 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 SEP 2013
- 2Epidemiological study of gastric ulceration in the Thoroughbred racehorse: 202 horses 1992–1993. Proc Am Ass Equine Pract 1994;40:125–126., , , et al.
- 4Cross-sectional study of gastric ulcers of the squamous mucosa in Thoroughbred racehorses. Equine Vet J 1999;29(Suppl):34–39., , , et al.
- 9Clinical trial to determine the effect of omeprazole given once or twice daily on gastric ulceration. Equine Vet J 1999;29(Suppl):87–90., , , et al.
- 10Efficacy of omeprazole paste in the treatment and prevention of gastric ulcers in horses. Equine Vet J 1999;29(Suppl):81–86., , , et al.
- 12Effects of omeprazole paste on healing of spontaneous gastric ulcers in horses and foals: A field trial. Equine Vet J 1999;29(Suppl):77–80., , , et al.
- 14Comparison of the antisecretory effects of omeprazole when administered intravenously, as acid-stable granules and as an oral paste in horses. Equine Vet J 1999;29(Suppl):54–58., , , et al.
- 16Comparison of the effects of Omoguard and Gastroshield on gastric pH in fasted horses, and effects of differing doses of the generic omeprazole paste Gastrozol. Aust Equine Vet 2011;30:64–70., , .
- 20Duration of antisecretory effects of oral omeprazole in horses with chronic gastric cannulae. Equine Vet J 1992;13(Suppl):89–92., , , et al.
- 21Effect of oral omeprazole on basal and pentagastrin-stimulated gastric secretion in young female horses. Equine Vet J 1992;13(Suppl):80–83., , , et al.
- 23Aetiopathogenesis and treatment of peptic ulcer in the horse: A comparative review. Equine Vet J 1992;13(Suppl):63–74..
- 25Induction and maintenance of gastric ulceration in horses in simulated race training. Equine Vet J 1999;29(Suppl):40–44., , , et al.
- 29Epidemiological study of gastric ulceration in the Thoroughbred race horse: 202 horses 1992–1993. Proc Am Assoc Equine Pract 1994;39:125–126., , , et al.
- 38Acceptability of a paste formulation and efficacy of high dose omeprazole in healing gastric ulcers in horses maintained in race training. Equine Vet J 1999;29(Suppl):71–76., , , et al.
- 43Intention-to-treat principle. CMAJ 2003;165:1339–1341., .
- 44Intention-to-treat concept: A review. Perspect Clin Res 2011;2:109–112..