This article reflects the views of the author and should not be construed to represent FDA's views or policies.
Bioequivalence accomplishments, ongoing initiatives, and remaining challenges†
Article first published online: 11 JUL 2013
Published (2013). This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 2–12, February 2014
How to Cite
Bioequivalence accomplishments, ongoing initiatives, and remaining challenges. J. vet. Pharmacol. Therap. 37, 2–12.
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 APR 2013
- 1995) A theoretical basis for a biopharmaceutic drug classification: the correlation of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability. Pharmaceutical Research, 12, 413–420. , , & (
- Annon1 (2009) ICH harmonised tripartite guideline pharmaceutical development Q8(R2). Available from: http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Quality/Q8_R1/Step4/Q8_R2_Guideline.pdf (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Annon2 (2000) US FDA, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Waiver of in vivo bioavailability and bioequivalence studies for immediate-release solid oral dosage forms based on a biopharmaceutics classification system. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM070246.pdf (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Annon3 (2008) European medicines agency guideline on the investigation of bioequivalence. Available from: http://www.emea.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/09/WC500003011.pdf (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Annon4 (2012) Health Canada draft guidance document: biopharmaceutics classification based biowaiver. Available from: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/alt_formats/pdf/consultation/drug-medic/bcs_draft_guide_ebauche_ld_scb-eng.pdf (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Annon5 (2012) Introduction to a general chapter for veterinary products posted for comment, workshop scheduled. Available from: http://www.usp.org/usp-nf/notices/introduction-general-chapter-veterinary-products-posted-comment-workshop-scheduled (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Annon6 (2012) FDA news release: FDA issues draft guidance on biosimilar product development. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm291232.htm (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Annon7 (2012) U.S. FDA center for drug evaluation and research and center for biologics evaluation and research, guidance for industry: quality considerations in demonstrating biosimilarity to a reference protein product: draft guidance. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM291134.pdf (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Annon8 (2012) U.S. FDA center for drug evaluation and research and center for biologics evaluation and research, guidance for industry: scientific considerations in demonstrating biosimilarity to a reference product: draft guidance. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM291128.pdf (accessed 23 March 2013).
- Annon9 (2012) U.S. FDA center for drug evaluation and research and center for biologics evaluation and research, guidance for industry: biosimilars: questions and answers regarding implementation of the biologics price competition and innovation act of 2009. Draft Guidance. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM273001.pdf (accessed 23 March 2013).
- 2012) Stimuli to the revision process. Available from: http://www.usp.org/sites/default/files/usp_pdf/EN/USPNF/s200600.pdf (accessed 23 March 2013). , , , , , , , , & (
- 1995) Bio-international 94, conference on bioavailability, bioequivalence and pharmacokinetic studies. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 3, 113–124. , & (
- 2012) Estimating product bioequivalence for highly variable veterinary drugs. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 35 (Suppl. 1), 11–16. , , , , & (
- 2012) A European perspective on the market accessibility of biosimilars. Biosimilars, 2, 33–40. & (
- 1998) Dissolution testing as a prognostic tool for oral drug absorption: immediate release dosage forms. Pharmaceutical Research, 15, 11–22. , , & (
- 2010) Do regulatory bioequivalence requirements adequately reflect the therapeutic equivalence of modified-release drug products? Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, 13, 107–113. & (
- 2012) Assessing product bioequivalence for extended-release formulations and drugs with long half-lives. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 35 (Suppl. 1), 3–9. & (
- 2008) Bioequivalence approaches for highly variable drugs and drug products. Pharmaceutical Research, 25, 237–241. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1994) Measuring switchability and prescribability: when is average bioequivalence sufficient? Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics, 22, 551–564. & (
- 1981) Understanding the dose–effect relationship: clinical application of pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic models. Clinical Pharmacokinetics, 6, 429–453. & (
- 2006) Effect of particle size reduction on dissolution and oral absorption of a poorly water-soluble drug, cilostazol, in beagle dogs. Journal of Controlled Release, 111, 56–64. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) Assessment of the bioequivalence of two nelfinavir tablet formulations under fed and fasted conditions in healthy subjects. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 43, 154–162. , , , , , & (
- 2012) International veterinary bioequivalence guideline similarities and differences between Australia, Canada, Europe, Japan, New Zealand and the United States. The AAPS Journal, 14, 792–798. (
- 1999) Bioequivalence of ivermectin formulations in pigs and cattle. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 22, 27–33. , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Factors influencing the use and interpretation of animal models in the development of parenteral drug delivery systems. The AAPS Journal, 13, 632–649. (
- 2012) Drug solubility classification in the bovine. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 35 (Suppl. 1), 93–97. & (
- 2012) The scientific basis for establishing solubility criteria for veterinary species. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 35 (Suppl. 1), 81–86. & (
- 2010) Current challenges facing the determination of product bioequivalence in veterinary medicine. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 33, 418–433. & (
- 2001) Feasibility of interspecies extrapolation in determining the bioequivalence of animal products intended for intramuscular administration. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 24, 125–135. , , , & (
- 2002) Applying the biopharmaceutics classification system to veterinary pharmaceutical products. Part II. Physiological considerations. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 54, 825–850. , , , , & (
- 2004) Veterinary application of in vitro dissolution data and the biopharmaceutics classification system. Pharmacopeial Forum, 30, 2295–2303. , & (
- 2011) The 2010 AAVPT/EAVPT/ECVPT bioequivalence workshop. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 34, 105–107. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1990) Consensus report from “Bio International ‘89”: issues in the evaluation of bioavailability data. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 79, 945–946. , , , , , , & (
- 1983) Influence of food intake on presystemic clearance of drugs. Clinical Pharmacokinetics, 8, 286–296. & (
- 2009) Biopharmaceutical limitations of the proposed guidance. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/AdvisoryCommitteeforPharmaceuticalScienceandClinicalPharmacology/UCM179424.pdf. (
- 2012) Mechanistic investigation of food effect on disintegration and dissolution of BCS class III compound solid formulations: the importance of viscosity. Biopharmaceutics & Drug Disposition, 33, 403–416. , & (
- 1996) Evaluation of orally administered highly variable drugs and drug formulations. Pharmaceutical Research, 13, 1590–1594. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) A quantitative approach to probe the dependence and correlation of food-effect with aqueous solubility, dose/solubility ratio, and partition coefficient (Log P) for orally active drugs administered as immediate-release formulations. Drug Development Research, 65, 55–75. (
- 2008) Pharmaceutical quality by design: product and process development, understanding, and control. Pharmaceutical Research, 25, 781–791. (
- 2003) Bioequivalence of topical products – discussion points, food and drug administration advisory committee for pharmaceutical science. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/03/slides/3996s2.htm (accessed 23 March 2013). , & (