Variation of grazing-induced vegetation changes across a large-scale productivity gradient
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
© 2013 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 8–21, January 2014
How to Cite
Lezama, F., Baeza, S., Altesor, A., Cesa, A., Chaneton, E. J., Paruelo, J. M. (2014), Variation of grazing-induced vegetation changes across a large-scale productivity gradient. Journal of Vegetation Science, 25: 8–21. doi: 10.1111/jvs.12053
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 MAY 2012
- INIA FPTA 175
- Inter-American Institute. Grant Number: CRN II 2031
- US National Science Foundation. Grant Number: GEO-0452325
- Comisión Sectorial de Investigación Científica
- 2000. Livestock exclusion increases the spatial heterogeneity of vegetation in Colorado shortgrass steppe. Applied Vegetation Science 3: 213–222. &
- 2001. The effect of grazing on the spatial heterogeneity of vegetation. Oecologia 128: 465–479. , &
- 2005. Effect of grazing on community structure and productivity of a Uruguayan grassland. Plant Ecology 179: 83–91. , , , &
- 2006. Ecosystem changes associated with grazing in sub-humid South American grasslands. Journal of Vegetation Science 17: 323–332. , , , , &
- 2007. Rainfall and soils modify plant community response to grazing in Serengeti National Park. Ecology 88: 1191–1201. , &
- 2011. Navigating the multiple meanings of β diversity: a roadmap for the practicing ecologist. Ecology Letters 14: 19–28. , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Does resource availability, resource heterogeneity or species turnover mediate changes in plant species richness in grazed grasslands? Oecologia 137: 385–391. , &
- 2006. Herbivore impact on grassland plant diversity depends on habitat productivity and herbivore size. Ecology Letters 9: 780–788. , , , &
- 2008. Land-use and land cover dynamics in South American temperate grasslands. Ecology and Society 13: 6 [online]. &
- 2010. Timing of Quaternary megafaunal extinction in South America in relation to human arrival and climate change. Quaternary International 217: 10–29. &
- 2005. An ecosystem in transition: causes and consequences of the conversion of mesic grassland to shrubland. BioScience 55: 243–254. , , , , , &
- 1989. The importance of scale in evaluating herbivory impacts. Oikos 54: 189–194. &
- 2001. A plant trait analysis of responses to grazing in a long-term experiment. Journal of Applied Ecology 38: 253–267. , , , , , &
- 1975. Evolution of grasses and grasslands in South America. Taxon 24: 53–66.
- 1976. Biogeografia de America Latina. Organización de los Estados Americanos, Washington, DC, US. &
- 2011. Changes in vegetation structure induced by domestic grazing in Patagonia (southern Argentina). Journal of Arid Environments 75: 1129–1135. &
- 1991. Disturbance effects on plant community diversity: spatial scales and dominance hierarchies. Vegetatio 93: 143–155. &
- 2002. Grazing, environmental heterogeneity, and alien plant invasions in temperate Pampa grasslands. Biological Invasions 4: 7–24. , , &
- 2005. Floristic heterogeneity of Flooding Pampa grasslands: a multi-scale analysis. Plant Biosystems 139: 245–254. , &
- 2000. The effects of productivity, herbivory, and plant species turnover in grassland food webs. Ecology 81: 2485–2497. , , &
- 2005. Grazing effects on rangeland diversity: a synthesis of contemporary models. Ecological Applications 15: 757–775. , &
- 1998. Modulation of diversity by grazing and mowing in native tallgrass prairie. Science 280: 745–747. , , , &
- 1985. Graminoid responses to grazing by large herbivores: adaptations, exaptations and interacting processes. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 72: 852–863.
- 2007. Grazing effects on the species–area relationship: variation along a climatic gradient in NE Spain. Journal of Vegetation Science 18: 25–34. , &
- 2004. Effect of senescent leaves on NDVI based estimates of fAPAR: experimental and modeling evidence. International Journal of Remote Sensing 25: 5415–5427. , , , &
- 2007. Plant trait responses to grazing – a global synthesis. Global Change Biology 13: 313–341. , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. From plant neighbourhood to landscape scales: how grazing modifies native and exotic plant species richness in grassland. Plant Ecology 191: 185–198. , , &
- 1989. Community structure in grazed and ungrazed grassland sites in the flooding Pampa, Argentina. American Midland Naturalist 121: 125–133. , &
- 1991. Woody and herbaceous aboveground production of a Patagonian steppe. Journal of Range Management 44: 434–437. , &
- 2005. The interactive effects of grazing ungulates and aboveground production on grassland diversity. Oecologia 143: 629–634.
- 1969. The role of predation in vegetational diversity. Brookhaven Symposia in Biology 22: 48–62.
- 1991. Effect of seasonal rest on the aboveground biomass for a native grassland of the Flooding Pampa, Argentina. Journal of Range Management 44: 471–475. &
- 2007. Consumer versus resource control of producer diversity depends on ecosystem type and producer community structure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104: 10904–10909. , , , , , , , , , &
- 1998. Competition and facilitation in multispecies plant–herbivore systems of productive environments. Ecology Letters 1: 25–29. &
- 1979. A general hypothesis of species diversity. The American Naturalist 113: 81–101.
- 2002. Scale-related effects of grazing on native plant communities in an arid rangeland region of South Australia. Journal of Applied Ecology 39: 427–444. , , , , &
- 1996. A graphical model of keystone predators in food webs: trophic regulation of abundance, incidence and diversity patterns in communities. The American Naturalist 147: 784–812.
- 1998. Grandes unidades de vegetación de la Patagonia. Ecología Austral 8: 125–143. , , , &
- 2007. A framework to predict the effects of livestock grazing and grazing exclusion on conservation values in natural ecosystems in Australia. Australian Journal of Botany 55: 401–415. , , &
- 1989. Temperate grasslands vulnerable to plant invasions: characteristics and consequences. In: Drake, J.A., Mooney, H.A., di Castri, F., Groves, R.H., Kruger, F.J., Rejmánek, M. & Williamson, M. (eds.) Biological invasions: a global perspective, pp. 155–179. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK.
- 1997. Origin and evolution of the grazing guild in New World terrestrial mammals. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 12: 182–187.
- 1988. Patterns of shrub invasion in semiarid Texas grasslands. American Midland Naturalist 120: 391–397. , &
- 1993. A quantitative assessment of the effects of grazing on vegetation and soils over a global range of environments. Ecological Monographs 63: 327–366. &
- 1988. A generalized model of the effects of grazing by large herbivores on grassland community structure. The American Naturalist 132: 87–105. , &
- 1989. Responses of Mediterranean grassland plants to grazing and protection. Journal of Ecology 77: 290–310. , &
- 2011. Impact of grazing on species composition: adding complexity to a generalized model. Austral Ecology 36: 881–890. &
- 1992. Effect of animal husbandry on herbivore-carrying capacity at a regional scale. Nature 356: 234–236. , &
- 1999. Grazing, fire and climate effects on primary productivity of grasslands and savannas. In: Walker, L. (ed.) Ecosystems of disturbed ground, pp. 303–322. Elsevier, Amsterdam, NL. , , &
- 2000. The logic and realism of the hypothesis of exploitation ecosystems. The American Naturalist 155: 703–723. &
- 1981. Exploitation ecosystems in gradients of primary productivity. The American Naturalist 118: 240–261. , , &
- 1998. Effects of herbivores on grassland plant diversity. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13: 261–265. &
- 2002. Grazing effects on diversity of annual plant communities in a semi-arid rangeland: interactions with small-scale spatial and temporal variation in primary productivity. Journal of Ecology 90: 936–946. , &
- 1992. Herbivores and plant diversity. The American Naturalist 140: 243–260. &
- 2004. Regional scale relationships between ecosystem structure and functioning: the case of the Patagonian steppes. Global Ecology and Biogeography 13: 385–395. , , , , &
- 1997. ANPP estimates from NDVI for the central grasslands region of the U.S. Ecology 78: 953–958. , , &
- 2007. The grasslands and steppes of Patagonia and the Rio de la Plata plains. In: Veblen, T., Young, K. & Orme, A. (eds.) The physical geography of South America, pp. 232–248. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , , , &
- 1997. Floristic changes related to grazing intensity in a Patagonian shrub steppe. Ecography 20: 400–406. , &
- 2001. Cross-scale vegetation patterns of Flooding Pampa grasslands. Journal of Ecology 89: 562–577. , &
- 2006. Seasonal variation in aboveground production and radiation use efficiency of temperate rangelands estimated through remote sensing. Ecosystems 9: 357–373. , &
- 1991. Satellite remote sensing of primary production: comparison of results for Sahelian grasslands 1981–1988. International Journal of Remote Sensing 12: 1301–1311.
- 1998. Reversal of grazing impact on plant species richness in nutrient-poor vs. nutrient-rich ecosystems. Ecology 79: 2581–2592. &
- 2003. Temporal trends in species composition and plant traits in natural grasslands of Uruguay. Journal of Vegetation Science 14: 433–440. , , &
- 2001. Dynamics of shrub encroachment in an African savanna: relative influences of fire, herbivory, rainfall and density dependence. Journal of Applied Ecology 38: 268–280. , &
- 2002. The MODIS Land product quality assessment approach. Remote Sensing of Environment 83: 62–76. , , , , &
- 1994. Methodology for the estimation of terrestrial net primary production from remotely sensed data. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 5263–5283. , &
- 1997. Relationship between productivity, and species and functional group diversity in grazed and non-grazed Pampas grassland. Oikos 78: 519–526. &
- 1988. The effect of herbivory on vegetation structure. In: Werger, M.J.A., van der Aart, P.J.M., During, H.J. & Verboeven, J.T.A. (eds.) Plant form and vegetation structure, pp. 317–330. SPB, The Hague, NL.
- 2011. Effects of grazing exclusion on plant species richness and phytomass accumulation vary across a regional productivity gradient. Journal of Vegetation Science 22: 130–142. , &
- 1992. Río de la Plata grasslands. In: Coupland, R.T. (ed.) Natural grasslands. Introduction and Western Hemisphere, pp. 367–407. Elsevier, Amsterdam, NL.
- 1999. Effects of grazing and soil quality on native and exotic plant species in Rocky Mountain grasslands. Ecological Applications 9: 45–64. , &
- 2000. Shrub invasions of North American semiarid grasslands. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31: 197–215.
- 1972. Evolution and measurement of species diversity. Taxon 21: 213–251.
- 2008. Catálogo de las plantas vasculares del cono sur (Argentina, sur de Brasil, Chile, Paraguay y Uruguay). Monographs in Systematic Botany from the Missouri Botanical Garden 107 Missouri Botanical Garden, Saint Louis. , & (eds.)