Rainfall variability has minimal effects on grassland recovery from repeated grazing
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2013
© 2013 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 36–44, January 2014
How to Cite
Koerner, S. E., Collins, S. L., Blair, J. M., Knapp, A. K., Smith, M. D. (2014), Rainfall variability has minimal effects on grassland recovery from repeated grazing. Journal of Vegetation Science, 25: 36–44. doi: 10.1111/jvs.12065
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 SEP 2012
- USDA CSREES Ecosystem Studies Program
- National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant. Grant Number: DEB-0909912
- University of New Mexico Biology Department Springfield Scholarship
- 1984. The effects of defoliation and competition on regrowth of tillers of two North American mixed-grass prairie graminoids. Oikos 43: 351–357. &
- 2011. Explaining grassland biomass – the contribution of climate, species and functional diversity depends on fertilization and mowing frequency. Journal of Applied Ecology 48: 1088–1097. , , &
- 1933. Effect of frequent clipping on the development of roots and tops of grasses in prairie sod. Ecology 14: 368–390. &
- 2001. Global biodiversity in a changing environment: scenarios for the 21st century. Springer, New York, NY, US. , &
- 2011. Impact of rainfall variability and grazing pressure on plant diversity in Mongolian grasslands. Journal of Arid Environments 75: 471–476. , , , &
- 1987. Interaction of disturbances in tallgrass prairie – a field experiment. Ecology 68: 1243–1250.
- 2012. Effects of fire, grazing and topographic variation on vegetation structure in tallgrass prairie. Journal of Vegetation Science 23: 563–575. &
- 1991. Importance of spatial and temporal dynamics in species regional abundance and distribution. Ecology 72: 654–664. &
- 2006. Scale-dependent interaction of fire and grazing on community heterogeneity in tallgrass prairie. Ecology 87: 2058–2067. &
- 1998. Modulation of diversity by grazing and mowing in native tallgrass prairie. Science 280: 745–747. , , , &
- 2012. Stability of tallgrass prairie during a 19-year increase in growing season precipitation. Functional Ecology 26: 1450–1459. , , , , , , , &
- 1958. The effects of fluctuations in weather upon the grasslands of the Great Plains. Botanical Review 24: 273–317.
- 2006. Below-ground bud banks increase along a precipitation gradient of the North American Great Plains: a test of the meristem limitation hypothesis. New Phytologist 171: 81–89. &
- 2009. The effects of fire frequency and grazing on tallgrass prairie productivity and plant composition are mediated through bud bank demography. Plant Ecology 201: 411–420. &
- 1997. Effects of bison and cattle on growth, reproduction, and abundances of five tallgrass prairie forbs. American Journal of Botany 84: 1719–1728. &
- 2000. Altering rainfall timing and quantity in a mesic grassland ecosystem: design and performance of rainfall manipulation shelters. Ecosystems 3: 308–319. , , , &
- 2003. Productivity responses to altered rainfall patterns in a C-4-dominated grassland. Oecologia 137: 245–251. , , , &
- 2011. Relative effects of precipitation variability and warming on tallgrass prairie ecosystem function. Biogeosciences 8: 3053–3068. , , , , &
- 1998. Ungulate vs. landscape control of soil C and N processes in grasslands of Yellowstone National Park. Ecology 79: 2229–2241. &
- 1998. The ecology of the earth's grazing ecosystems. BioScience 48: 513–521. , &
- 2002. Consumer control of grassland plant production. Ecology 83: 602–606. , &
- 2001. Restoring heterogeneity on rangelands: ecosystem management based on evolutionary grazing patterns. BioScience 51: 625–632. &
- 2001. Herbaceous vegetation change in variable rangeland environments: the relative contribution of grazing and climatic variability. Applied Vegetation Science 4: 177–188. , &
- 2009. Grasses and Grassland Ecology. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, US.
- 1989. Density and growth stage-dependent response to defoliation in 2 rhizomatous grasses. Oecologia 80: 414–420.
- 1998. Plant populations: patterns and processes. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1998. Regional climate and the distribution of tallgrass prairie. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2009. Contingent productivity responses to more extreme rainfall regimes across a grassland biome. Global Change Biology 15: 2894–2904. , , , &
- 1990. Mycorrhizal influences on big bluestem rhizome regrowth and clipping tolerance. Journal of Range Management 43: 286–290. , &
- 1990. Plant-response to herbivory and belowground nitrogen cycling. Ecology 71: 1040–1049. &
- IPCC 2012. Managing the risks of extreme events and disasters to advance climate change adaptation. In: Field, C.B., Barros, V., Stocker, T.F., Qin, D., Dokken, D.J., Ebi, K.L., Mastrandrea, M.D., Mach, K.J., Plattner, G.-K., Allen, S.K., Tignor, M. & Midgley, P.M. (eds.) A Special Report of Working Groups I and II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, pp. 582. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2009. Global change impacts in the United States. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, US. , &
- 1998. Patterns and controls of aboveground net primary production in tallgrass prairie. In: Knapp, A.K., Briggs, J.M., Hartnett, D.C. & Collins, S.L. (eds.) Grassland dynamics: long-term ecological research in Tallgrass Prairie, pp. 193–221. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , , &
- 1999. The keystone role of bison in north American tallgrass prairie – Bison increase habitat heterogeneity and alter a broad array of plant, community, and ecosystem processes. BioScience 49: 39–50. , , , , , &
- 2002. Rainfall variability, carbon cycling, and plant species diversity in a mesic grassland. Science 298: 2202–2205. , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Consequences of more extreme precipitation regimes for terrestrial ecosystems. BioScience 58: 811–821. , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2012. A test of two mechanisms proposed to optimize grassland aboveground primary productivity in response to grazing. Journal of Plant Ecology 5: 357–365. , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1986. Feeding relationships among bison, pronghorn, and prairie dogs – an experimental-analysis. Ecology 67: 760–770.
- 2012. Cascading effects of long-term land-use changes on plant traits and ecosystem functioning. Ecology 93: 145–155. &
- 1979. Grazing as an optimization process – grass–ungulate relationships in the Serengeti. The American Naturalist 113: 691–703.
- 1985. Ecology of a grazing ecosystem: the Serengeti. Ecological Monographs 55: 259–294.
- 1998. Root biomass and productivity in a grazing ecosystem: the Serengeti. Ecology 79: 587–592. , &
- 1993. Quantitative effects of grazing on vegetation and soils over a global range of environments. Ecological Monographs 63: 327–366. &
- 2011. Human contribution to more-intense precipitation extremes. Nature 470: 378–381. , , &
- 2003. Summer grazing strategies following early-season grazing of big bluestem. Agronomy Journal 95: 1240–1245. , &
- 2007. Soil water partitioning contributes to species coexistence in tallgrass prairie. Oikos 116: 1017–1029. &
- 1992. Rainfall and grazing effects on net primary productivity in a tropical savanna, India. Ecology 73: 2007–2021. &
- 1993. Foraging ecology of bison and cattle on a mixed prairie – implication for natural area management. Ecological Applications 3: 631–643. &
- 2011. An ecological perspective on extreme climatic events: a synthetic definition and framework to guide future research. Journal of Ecology 99: 656–663.
- 2010. Fire and grazing in a mesic tallgrass prairie: impacts on plant species and functional traits. Ecology 91: 1651–1659. , , , , , &
- 2008. Defoliation synchronizes aboveground growth of co-occurring C4 grass species. Ecology 89: 2860–2867. &
- 2005. Vegetation trends in tallgrass prairie from bison and cattle grazing. Ecological Applications 15: 1550–1559. , &
- 1993. Maximization of aboveground grassland production – the role of defoliation frequency, intensity, and history. Ecological Applications 3: 175–186. , &
- 1992. Effects of bison grazing on Andropogon gerardii and Panicum virgatum in burned and unburned tallgrass prairie. Oecologia 90: 374–382. &
- 1993. Interactive effects of fire, bison (Bison bison) grazing and plant community composition in tallgrass prairie. American Midland Naturalist 129: 10–18. , , &
- 2012. Increased rainfall variability reduces biomass and forage quality of temperate grassland largely independent of mowing frequency. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 148: 10. , , , , &
- 1954. North American prairie. Johnsen Publishing, Lincoln, NE, US.
- 1936. Effects of the great drought on the prairies of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. Ecology 17: 567–639. &
- 2008. The effects of clipping height and frequency on net primary production of Andropogon gerardii (C(4) grass) and Bromus inermis (C(3) grass) in greenhouse experiments. Grass and Forage Science 63: 458–466. &