The role of wind in the dispersal of floating seeds in slow-flowing or stagnant water bodies
Article first published online: 10 APR 2013
© 2013 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 262–274, January 2014
How to Cite
Sarneel, J. M., Beltman, B., Buijze, A., Groen, R., Soons, M. B. (2014), The role of wind in the dispersal of floating seeds in slow-flowing or stagnant water bodies. Journal of Vegetation Science, 25: 262–274. doi: 10.1111/jvs.12074
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 10 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAR 2011
- Dutch Ministry of Agriculture
- Nature and Food Quality
- Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- 2002. Temporal variation in the drift of plant litter and propagules in a small boreal river. Freshwater Biology 47: 1674–1684. &
- 2000. Plant dispersal in boreal rivers and its relation to the diversity of riparian flora. Journal of Biogeography 27: 1095–1106. , &
- 1996. Seed banks and seed dispersal: important topics in restoration ecology. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 45: 461–490. , , , &
- 2001. Handboek Natuurdoeltypen. Expertisecentrum LNV, Wageningen, NL. , , , , &
- 2007. The potential role of tributaries as seed sources to an impoundment in Northern Sweden: a field experiment with seed mimics. River Research and Applications 23: 1049–1057. , &
- 2005. Het beperkte succes van laagveenherstel. Landschap 4: 173–179. , &
- 2011. Turbary restoration meets variable success: does landscape structure force colonization success of wetland plants? Restoration Ecology 19: 185–193. , &
- 2002. Dispersal and establishment of floodplain grassland species as limiting factors in restoration. Biological Conservation 104: 25–33.
- 2003a. Plant dispersal in a lowland stream in relation to occurrence and three specific life-history traits of the species in the species pool. Journal of Ecology 91: 855–866. , , , &
- 2003b. Potential role of propagule banks in the development of aquatic vegetation in backwaters along navigation canals. Aquatic Botany 77: 53–69. , &
- 2004. Dispersal phenology of hydrochorous plants in relation to discharge, seed release time and buoyancy of seeds: the flood pulse concept supported. Journal of Ecology 92: 786–796. , , , ,
- 1998. Aquatic plant diversity in riverine wetlands: the role of connectivity. Freshwater Biology 39: 267–283. , &
- 2006. Digitale Zadenatlas van Nederland. Barkhuis Publishing, Eelde, NL. See also http://seeds.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/. , &
- 2006. The role of dispersal constraints in the assembly of salt-marsh communities. PhD dissertation, Department of Biology, Groningen University, Groningen, NL.
- 1984. Introduction to Water Waves. Ellis Horwood Ltd., Chichester, UK.
- 1997. Seed floating ability and distribution of alpine plants along a northern Swedish river. Journal of Vegetation Science 8: 271–276. &
- 2008. The interacting effects of herbivore exclosures and seed addition in a wet meadow. Oikos 117: 1057–1063. &
- 2003. Evidence for hydrochory and the deposition of viable seeds within winter flow-deposited sediments: the River Dove, Derbyshire, UK. River Research and Applications 19: 317–334. , , &
- 1991. Vegetation and seed-bank relationships on a Lakeshore. Freshwater Biology 26: 199–207. &
- 1977. The maintenance of species-richness in plant communities: the importance of the regeneration niche. Biological Reviews 52: 107–145.
- 2005. Hydrochory increases riparian plant species richness: a comparison between a free-flowing and a regulated river. Journal of Ecology 93: 1094–1103. , , &
- 2008. The spatial and temporal heterogeneity of macrophyte communities in thirty small, temporary ponds over a period of ten years. Ecography 31: 765–775.
- 2010. Species introduction in restoration projects – evaluation of different techniques for the establishment of semi-natural grasslands in Central and Northwestern Europe. Basic and Applied Ecology 11: 285–299. , , , &
- 2008. The LEDA Traitbase: a database of life-history traits of Northwest European flora. Journal of Ecology 96: 1266–1274. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Propagule dispersal of the SE Asian seagrasses Enhalus acoroides and Thalassia hemprichii. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 235: 75–80. , , &
- 1998. The effect of flooding on the recruitment of reed marsh and tall forb plant species. Plant Ecology 139: 13–23. , &
- 2003. The ecology and evolution of seed dispersal: a theoretical perspective. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 34: 575–604. , , &
- 2006. Seed dispersal in fens. Applied Vegetation Science 9: 279–284. , &
- 2002. Basic principles and ecological consequences of changing water regimes: riparian plant communities. Environmental Management 30: 468–480. &
- 1993. Processes structuring riparian vegetation. In: Menon, J. (ed.) Current topics in Botanical Research, pp. 419–431. Council of scientific research integration, Trivandrum, IN. , , , , , , &
- 2002. Differences in riparian flora between riverbanks and river lakeshores explained by dispersal traits. Ecology 83: 2878–2887. , , &
- 1991. Importance of hydrochory in structuring plant-communities along rivers. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 2631–2633. , &
- 2005. Predictability of plant species composition from environmental conditions is constrained by dispersal limitation. Oikos 108: 555–561. , , , , , , &
- 2009. Dispersal failure contributes to plant losses in NW Europe. Ecology Letters 12: 66–74. , , , , , , , , , , & &
- 2001. How fast is the carousel? Direct indices of species mobility with examples from an Oklahoma grassland. Journal of Vegetation Science 12: 305–318. &
- 2010. Local deepening of large shallow peat lakes: a measure to improve their ecological status. Journal of Limnology 69: 126–137. , , &
- 1999. The influence of spatial wind inhomogeneity on flow patterns in a small lake. Water Research 33: 3348–3356. &
- 2007. Reproductive strategy, clonal structure and genetic diversity in populations of the aquatic macrophyte Sparganium emersum in river systems. Molecular Ecology 16: 313–325. , , , , &
- 2005. Spatial and temporal patterns of species richness in a riparian landscape. Journal of Biogeography 32: 2025–2037. , &
- 2006. Secondary dispersal of early juvenile blue crabs within a wind-driven estuary. Limnology and Oceanography 51: 1982–1995. , &
- 2009. Scale as a lurking factor: incorporating scale-dependence in experimental ecology. Oikos 118: 1284–1291. &
- 1991. Measuring and modelling wind induced flow in shallow lakes. Hydrology of Natural and Manmade Lakes. Proceedings of the Vienna Symposium 1991.
- 2013. The dispersal capacity of vegetative propagules of riparian fen species. Hydrobiologia. 710: 219–225
- 2012. Post-dispersal probabilities for germination and establishment in shorelines of slow-flowing or stagnant water bodies. Journal of Vegetation Science 23: 517–525. &
- 2011. Multiple effects of land-use changes impede the colonization of open water in fen ponds. Journal of Vegetation Science 22: 551–563. , , , &
- 1995. De vegetatie van Nederland 2; wateren, moerassen, natte heiden. Opulus Press, Leiden, NL. , &
- 2006. Small habitat size and isolation can promote species richness: second-order effects on biodiversity in shallow lakes and ponds. Oikos 112: 227–231. , , , , , , , &
- 2012. Enhancing plant biodiversity in species-poor grassland through plant material transfer – the impact of sward disturbance. Applied Vegetation Science 15: 290–298. , &
- 1972. Wind-generated current and phase speed of wind waves. Journal of Physical Oceanography 2: 411–419.
- 2010. The dispersal and deposition of hydrochorous plant seeds in drainage ditches. Freshwater Biology 55: 2032–2046. , , &
- 2006. Wind dispersal in freshwater wetlands: knowledge for conservation and restoration. Applied Vegetation Science 9: 271–278.
- 2004. Determinants of long-distance seed dispersal by wind in grasslands. Ecology 85: 3056–3068. , , &
- 2005. Habitat fragmentation reduces grassland connectivity for both short-distance and long-distance wind-dispersed forbs. Journal of Ecology 93: 1214–1225. , , &
- 2003. Horizontal transport and dispersion in the surface layer of a medium-sized lake. Limnology and Oceanography 48: 971–982. &
- 1996. An improved method for seed-bank analysis: seedling emergence after removing the soil by sieving. Functional Ecology 10: 144–151. , , &
- 1997. The Soil Seed Banks of North West Europe: Methodology, Density and Longevity. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , &
- 2002. Riverine flood plains: present state and future trends. Environmental Conservation 29: 308–330. &
- 2010. Genetic differentiation of submerged plant populations and taxa between habitats. Hydrobiologia 656: 15–27. , , , &
- 2012. Local and landscape influences on plant communities in playa wetlands. Journal of Applied Ecology 49: 174–181. , , &
- 2005. Heukels’ Flora van Nederland. Drieentwintigste Druk. Wolters-Noordhoff, Groningen, NL.
- 2008. The relative importance of dispersal and local processes in structuring phytoplankton communities in a set of highly interconnected ponds. Freshwater Biology 53: 2170–2183. , , , , &
- 2001. Plant diversity of fen landscapes in the Netherlands. In: Gopal, B., Junk, W.J. & Davis, J.A. (eds.) Biodiversity in Wetlands: Assessment, Function and Conservation. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, NL. &
- 2008. An Operational Landscape Unit approach for identifying key landscape connections in wetland restoration. Journal of Applied Ecology 45: 1496–1503. , , &
- 2004. Waterborne seed transport and seed deposition during flooding in a small river-valley in Northern Germany. Flora 199: 377–388. , &
- 2007. Seed deposition in drift lines: opportunity or hazard for species establishment? Aquatic Botany 86: 385–392. , &
- 1983. Klimaat van Nederland 2: Windklimaat van Nederland. Staatsuitgeverij, ‘s-Gravenhage, NL. &
- 1994. Vertical seed dispersal by earthworms: a quantitative approach. Ecography 17: 124–130. &
- 2004. Astroturf seed traps for studying hydrochory. Functional Ecology 18: 141–147. , , , , &
- 1998. A surplus of seeds: high rates of post-dispersal seed predation in a flooded grassland in monsoonal Australia. Australian Journal of Ecology 23: 385–392.