Environmental determinism and neutrality in vegetation at millennial time scales
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2013
© 2013 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 627–635, May 2014
How to Cite
Correa-Metrio, A., Meave, J. A., Lozano-García, S., Bush, M. B. (2014), Environmental determinism and neutrality in vegetation at millennial time scales. Journal of Vegetation Science, 25: 627–635. doi: 10.1111/jvs.12129
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUN 2013
- DGAPA. Grant Number: IA101912
- CONACYT. Grant Number: 167621
- NSF. Grant Number: BCS-0926973
- 2007. A niche for neutrality. Ecology Letters 10: 95–104. , &
- 2012. Global patterns in the shape of species geographical ranges reveal range determinants. Journal of Biogeography 39: 760–771. , , &
- 1980. Quaternary palaeoecology. University Park Press, Baltimore, MD, US. &
- 2010. Random walk simulations of fossil proxy data. The Holocene 20: 645–649. , &
- 2002a. Distributional change and conservation on the Andean flank: a palaeoecological perspective. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11: 463–467.
- 2002b. On the interpretation of fossil Poaceae pollen in the lowland humid neotropics. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 177: 5–17.
- 2003. Stability of forest biodiversity. Nature 423: 635–638. &
- 1998. Reid's paradox of rapid plant migration. BioScience 48: 13–24. , , , , , , , , , ··· &
- 1993. Interpreting phenotypic variation in plants. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 9: 187–191. , &
- 2010. A stochastic, evolutionary model for range shifts and richness on tropical elevational gradients under Quaternary glacial cycles. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 365: 3695–3707. &
- 1984. Compensatory recruitment, growth, and mortality as factors maintaining rain forest tree diversity. Ecological Monographs 54: 141–164. , &
- 2010. Quantifying ecological change through Discriminant Analysis: a paleoecological example from the Peruvian Amazon. Journal of Vegetation Science 21: 695–704. , &
- 2012a. Rapid climate change and no-analog vegetation in lowland Central America during the last 86,000 years. Quaternary Science Reviews 38: 63–75. , , , , , , &
- 2012b. The influence of abrupt climate change on the ice-age vegetation of the Central American lowlands. Journal of Biogeography 39: 497–509. , , , , &
- 1991. Quaternary ecology: a paleoecological perspective. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. &
- 2001. Compensatory dynamics in zooplankton community responses to acidification: measurement and mechanisms. Ecological Applications 11: 1060–1072. , &
- 1934. The struggle for existence. Wilkins & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, US.
- 2009. Tropical salt marsh succession as sea-level indicator during Heinrich events. Quaternary Science Reviews 28: 939–946. &
- 2000. Ecological resilience – in theory and application. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31: 425–439.
- 2005. Climate change in lowland Central America during the late deglacial and early Holocene. Journal of Quaternary Science 20: 363–376. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. An 85-ka record of climate change in lowland Central America. Quaternary Science Reviews 27: 1152–1165. , , , , , , , , , , , ··· &
- 2001. The unified neutral theory of biodiversity and biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, US.
- 2006. Neutral Theory and the evolution of ecological equivalence. Ecology 87: 1387–1398.
- 2007. Plant systematics: a phylogenetic approach, 3rd edn. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland, MA, US. , , , &
- 2008. Phylogeny, niches and relative abundance in natural communities. Ecology 89: 962–970. , , &
- 1998. Numerical ecology. Elsevier Scientific, Oxford, UK. &
- 1995. Evidence of the younger dryas in Central America. Quaternary Science Reviews 14: 833–839.
- 2002. Distribution and ecology of parent taxa of pollen lodged within the Latin American Pollen Database. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 121: 1–75. , , , , , , , , , ··· &
- 2005. Molecular indicators of tree migration capacity under rapid climate change scenarios. Ecology 86: 2088–2098. , &
- 1994. Maintenance of rain forest diversity in riparian forests of tropical savannas: implications for species conservation during Pleistocene drought. Journal of Biogeography 21: 121–135. &
- 2011. On metapopulations and microrefugia: palaeoecological insights. Journal of Biogeography 38: 419–429. , &
- 1996. Introduction to wildland fire. Wiley, New York, NY, US. , &
- 2010. On microrefugia and cryptic refugia. Journal of Biogeography 37: 1623–1625.
- 2006. Vegetación de México. Comisión Nacional para el Conocimiento y Uso de la Biodiversidad, México.
- 1984. A variance test for detecting species associations, with some example applications. Ecology 65: 998–1005.
- 1972. Tablets with spores used in absolute pollen analysis. Pollen et Spore XIII: 615–621.
- 1994. Competition and biodiversity in spatially structured habitats. Ecology 75: 2–16.
- 1982. Pleistocene changes of vegetation in tropical Mexico. In: Prance, G.T. (ed.) Biological diversification in the tropics, pp. 93–111. Columbia University Press, New York, NY, US.
- 2010. Integrating spatial and temporal approaches to understanding species richness. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 365: 3633–3643. , , , &
- 2004. Trees or no trees? The environments of Central and Eastern Europe during the Last Glaciation. Quaternary Science Reviews 23: 2369–2387. &