Effects of Hydraulic Dredging for Mercenaria mercenaria, Northern Quahog, on Sediment Biogeochemistry
Version of Record online: 4 JUN 2014
Published 2014. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
Journal of the World Aquaculture Society
Volume 45, Issue 3, pages 301–311, June 2014
How to Cite
Meseck, S. L., Mercaldo-Allen, R., Rose, J. M., Clark, P., Kuropat, C., Pereira, J. J. and Goldberg, R. (2014), Effects of Hydraulic Dredging for Mercenaria mercenaria, Northern Quahog, on Sediment Biogeochemistry. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, 45: 301–311. doi: 10.1111/jwas.12114
- Issue online: 4 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 4 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 24 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 NOV 2013
- 2013. Construction of an inexpensive gravity sediment corer for micro-profiling O2 and pH in marine sediments. NOAA Tech Memo NMFS NE 224. National Marine Fisheries Service, Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA 02543–1026. p. 13. Accessed August 2013 at http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/publications/ and .
- 1980. Quantifying solute distributions in the bioturbated zone of marine sediments by defining an average microenvironment. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 44:1955–1965.
- 2008. PERMANOVA+ for PRIMER: Guide to software and statistical methods. Primer-E Limited, Plymouth, UK. and .
- 2004. Impact of mechanical clam harvesting on a benthic habitat: evolution by means of sediment profile imagining. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 14:S59–S67. and .
- 1980. Pages 237. Early diagenesis: a theoretical approach. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, USA.
- 1991. Use of the intertidal zone by fish in Nova Scotia. Environmental Biology of Fishes 31:109–121. and .
- 1994. The effects of seaweed harvesting on fishes: a response. Environmental Biology of Fishes 39:325–328. and .
- 2006. Primer v6: user manual/tutorial. Primer-E Ltd., Plymouth, UK. and .
- 1995. A review of the potential impacts of mechanical harvesting on subtidal and intertidal shellfish resources. South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, Marine Resources Research Institute. p. 46 pp. + 3 appendices.
- 2009. Repeatable sediment associations of burrowing bivalves across six European tidal flat systems. Marine Ecology Progress Series 382:87–98. and .
- 2009. Clam dredging effects and subsequent recovery of benthic communities at different depth ranges. Marine Environmental Research 67:89–99. and .
- 2000. The experimental analysis of tidal creeks dominated by oyster reefs: the pre-manipulation year. Journal of Shellfish Research 19:361–369. and .
- 2002. Ecosystem response to bi valve density reduction: management implications. Aquatic Ecology 36:51–65. and .
- 1995. Marine benthic hypoxia: a review of its ecological effects and the behavioral responses of benthic macrofauna. Annual Review of Oceanography and Marine Biology 33:245–303. and .
- 2009. The ecological role of bivalve shellfish aquaculture in the estuarine environment: A review with application to oyster and clam culture in West Coast (USA) estuaries. Aquaculture 290:196–223. and .
- 1984. Sediment-water exchange in shallow water estuarine sediments. Journal of Marine Research 42:709–730. and .
- 2003. Short-term environmental impact of clam dredging in coastal waters (south of Portugal): chemical disturbance and subsequent recovery of seabed. Marine Environmental Research 56:649–664. and .
- 1982. Sediment resuspension by coastal waters: a potential mechanism for nutrient re-cycling on the ocean's margins. Deep Sea Research 29:953–965. and .
- FAO. 2010. The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2010, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- 2011. The role of shellfish farms in provision of ecosystem goods and services. Pages 3–31 in S. Shumway, editor. Shellfish aquaculture and the environment. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Oxford, UK. and .
- 2012. Effects of hydraulic shellfish dredging on the ecology of a cultivated clam bed. Aquaculture Environment Interactions 3:11–21. and .
- 1977. Some environmental impacts of subtidal hardshell clam harvest with hydraulic clam harvesters in a small experimental plot in Puget Sound. State of Washington, Department of Fisheries, Olympia, Washington, USA. p. 16.
- 1980. Studies of mechanical clam harvest on an intertidal beach near Port Townsend, Washington Progress Report 119. State of Washington, Department of Fisheries, Olympia, Washington, USA. and .
- 1979. Sampling design and statistical methods for environmental biologists. John Wiley & Sons, New York, New York, USA.
- 2013. Carbonate mineral saturation state as the recruitment cue for settling bivalves in marine muds. Estuaries and Coasts 36:18–27. and .
- 1985. Benthic fluxes in San Francisco Bay. Hydrobiologia 129:69–90. and .
- 1999. Determination of nutrients. Pages 159–228 in K. Grasshoff, K. Kremling, and M. Ehrhardt, editors. Methods of seawater analysis. Wiley-VCH, Germany, New York, New York. and .
- 2001. Assessing environmental impacts: effects of spatial temporal variability at likely impact scales. Ecological Applications 11:1502–1516. and .
- 1972. En bunnhenter som er lett å lage. Fauna 25:281–283.
- 1994. Influence of water-column anoxia on the elemental fractionation of carbon and phosphorus during sediment diagenesis. Marine Geology 139:219–229. and .
- 1972. Exploratory fishing for the sunray Venus clam Macrocallista nimbosa in northwest Florida. Florida Department of Natural Resources Marine Research Lab Technological Services 67. pp. 1–42.
- 2010. The role of environmental variables in structuring landscape-scale species distributions in seafloor habitats. Ecology 91:1583–1590. and .
- 2005. Biogeochemical effects of disturbance in shallow water sediment by macroalgae harvesting boats. Marine Pollution Bulletin 50:512–519. and .
- 1998. Watery wastelands. New Scientist 2134:40–44.
- 1996. History of oystering in the United States and Canada, featuring the eight greatest oyster estuaries. Marine Fisheries Review 58:1–78. .
- 2002a. Quahogs in eastern North America, Part I. Biology, ecology, and historical uses. Marine Fisheries Review 64:1–55. , , and .
- 2002b. Quohogs in eastern North America, Part II History by province and state. Marine Fisheries Review 64:1–64. , , and .
- 1991. Effects of commercial dragging on sedimentary organic matter. Marine Environmental Research 31:249–261. and .
- 2001. Fitting multivariate models to community data: a comment on distance-based redundancy analysis. Ecology Letters 82:290–297. and .
- 2011. Review of the ecological effects of dredging in the cultivation and harvest of molluscan shellfish. US Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NE-220; 78p. Accessed at http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/publications/. and .
- 1994. The effects of seaweed harvesting on fishes: a critique. Environmental Biology of Fishes 39:319–323.
- 1991. Hypoxic tolerance of marine benthic fauna. Marine Ecology Progress Series 79:127–131. and .
- 1978. Estimating the dimension of a model. Annals of Statistics 6:461–464.
- 2013. Benthic community response to a scallop dredging closure within a dynamic seabed habitat. Marine Ecological Progress Series 480:83–98. and
- 2011. Preface. Pages XV-XVII in S. Shumway, editor. Shellfish aquaculture and the environment. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Oxford, UK.
- 1993. Effects of bottom cultivation on quahogs and other bottom invertebrates in Narragansett Bay. Pages 63–78 in: M.A. Rice and D. Grossman-Garber, editors. Proceedings of the Second Rhode Island Shellfish Industry Conference, August 4, 1992, University of Rhode Island, Narragansett Bay Campus. Report no. RIU-W-92-002, Rhode Island Sea Grant, University of Rhode Island, Narragansett, Rhode Island, USA. and
- 2011. Environmental impacts related to mechanical harvest of cultured shellfish. Pages 319–338 in S. Shumway, editor. Shellfish aquaculture and the environment. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Oxford, UK. and .
- 1978. Further analysis of the data by Akaike's information criterion and the finite corrections. Communications in Statistics – Theory and Methods 7:13–26.
- 1977. Some Effects of Hydraulic Clam Harvesting on Water Quality in Killisut Harbor, Port Susan, and Agate Pass, Washington. Progress Report 22. State of Washington, Department of Fisheries, Olympia, Washington, USA. p. 82.
- 1992. Adult infauna as facilitators of colonization on intertidal sandflats. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 159:253–265. and .
- 1982. Diffusion coefficients in near-shore marine sediments. Limnology and Oceanography 27:552–556. and .
- 1991. Beyond BACI: experimental designs for detecting human environmental impacts on temporal variations in natural populations. Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 42:569–587.
- 1992. Beyond BACI: the detection of environmental impacts on populations in the real, but variable, world. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 181:145–178.
- 1994. On beyond BACI: sampling designs that might reliably detect environmental disturbances. Ecological Applications 4:3–15.
- 2005. The global destruction of bottom habitats by mobile fishing gears. Pages 198–210 in E. A. Norse and L. B. Crowder, editors. Marine conservation biology. Island Press, Washington, D.C.
- 1998. Disturbance of the seabed by mobile fishing gear: a comparison to forest clearcutting. Conservation Biology 12:1180–1197. and .
- 2002. Macrobenthic species response surfaces along estuarine gradients: prediction by logistic regression. Marine Ecology Progress Series 225:79–95. and .