Stem cells with decellularized liver scaffolds in liver regeneration and their potential clinical applications
Article first published online: 30 MAY 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons A/S. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
How to Cite
Zhou, Q., Li, L. and Li, J. (2014), Stem cells with decellularized liver scaffolds in liver regeneration and their potential clinical applications. Liver International. doi: 10.1111/liv.12581
- Article first published online: 30 MAY 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 MAY 2014 09:59AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2014
- Zhejiang Provincial and National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: LR13H030001, 81271708
- Chinese High Tech Research and Development (863) Program. Grant Number: 2013AA020102
- National S&T Major Project. Grant Numbers: 2012ZX10004503-006, 2012ZX10002004-001
- 1Organ donation and utilization in the United States, 1999–2008. Am J Transplant 2010; 10(4 Pt 2): 973–86., , , et al.
- 2Post-liver transplantation medical complications. Ann Hepatol 2006; 5: 77–85., .
- 3Stem cells for end stage liver disease: how far have we got? World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14: 4593–9., , , , .
- 4Present status and perspectives of cell-based therapies for liver diseases. J Hepatol 2006; 45: 144–59., , , et al.
- 5Stem cell-based therapies for liver diseases: state of the art and new perspectives. Stem Cells Int 2010; 2010: 259461., , , .
- 6A bioartificial liver–state of the art. Science 2002; 295: 1005–9., .
- 73D hepatocyte monolayer on hybrid RGD/galactose substratum. Biomaterials 2006; 27: 5669–80., , , et al.
- 8Construction of collagen scaffolds that mimic the three-dimensional architecture of specific tissues. Tissue Eng 2007; 13: 2387–94., , .
- 9Hepatocyte behavior within three-dimensional porous alginate scaffolds. Biotechnol Bioeng 2000; 67: 344–53., , , ,
- 10Efficacy of engineered liver tissue based on poly-L-lactic acid scaffolds and fetal mouse liver cells cultured with oncostatin M, nicotinamide, and dimethyl sulfoxide. Tissue Eng 2004; 10: 1577–86., , , et al.
- 11Long-term cultivation of HepG2 liver cells encapsulated in alginate hydrogels: a study of cell viability, morphology and drug metabolism. Toxicol In Vitro 2010; 24: 1314–23., , .
- 123D PLGA scaffolds improve differentiation and function of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell-derived hepatocytes. Stem Cells Dev 2010; 19: 1427–36., , , et al.
- 13Cells and materials for liver tissue engineering. Cell Transplant 2013; 22: 685–700., , , et al.
- 14A method for the design of 3D scaffolds for high-density cell attachment and determination of optimum perfusion culture conditions. J Biomech 2008; 41: 1436–49., , , , , et al.
- 15Reversal of mouse hepatic failure using an implanted liver-assist device containing ES cell-derived hepatocytes. Nat Biotechnol 2006; 24: 1412–9., , , et al.
- 16Survival and function of hepatocytes on a novel three-dimensional synthetic biodegradable polymer scaffold with an intrinsic network of channels. Ann Surg 1998; 228: 8–13., , , et al.
- 17Lineage restriction of human hepatic stem cells to mature fates is made efficient by tissue-specific biomatrix scaffolds. Hepatology 2011; 53: 293–305., , , et al.
- 18Whole-organ tissue engineering: decellularization and recellularization of three-dimensional matrix scaffolds. Annu Rev Biomed Eng 2011; 13: 27–53., , .
- 19Vascularization of engineered tissues: approaches to promote angio-genesis in biomaterials. Curr Top Med Chem 2008; 8: 300–10., .
- 20Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into hepatocytes in 2D and 3D culture systems in vitro. Int J Dev Biol 2006; 50: 645–52., , , .
- 21Hepatic differentiation of human embryonic stem cells is promoted by three-dimensional dynamic perfusion culture conditions. Tissue Eng Part C Methods 2011; 17: 557–68., , .
- 22In vitro decellularization of rabbit lung tissue. Cell J 2013; 15: 83–8., , , .
- 23Production and assessment of decellularized pig and human lung scaffolds. Tissue Eng Part A 2013; 19: 2045–62., , , et al.
- 24Decellularization for whole organ bioengineering. Biomed Mater 2013; 8: 014106., , , .
- 25Decellularization methods of porcine kidneys for whole organ engineering using a high-throughput system. Biomaterials 2012; 33: 7756–64., , , et al.
- 26Procedure for decellularization of porcine heart by retrograde coronary perfusion. J Vis Exp 2012; 70: e50059., , .
- 27Effectiveness of three extraction techniques in the development of a decellularized bone-anterior cruciate ligament-bone graft. Biomaterials 2005; 26: 7339–49., .
- 28The extracellular matrix as a biologic scaffold material. Biomaterials 2007; 28: 3587–93..
- 29Whole organ decellularization - a tool for bioscaffold fabrication and organ bioengineering. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009; 2009: 6526–9., , , et al.
- 30Perfusion-decellularized matrix: using nature's platform to engineer a bioartificial heart. Nat Med 2008; 14: 213–21., , , et al.
- 31Development of acellular dermis from porcine skin using periodic pressurized technique. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2008; 85: 210–9., , , , .
- 32Novel utilization of serum in tissue decellularization. Tissue Eng Part C Methods 2010; 16: 173–84., , , .
- 33Method for the decellularization of intact rat liver. Organogenesis 2010; 6: 134–6., , , , .
- 34Comparison of different decellularization procedures of porcine heart valves. Int J Artif Organs 2003; 26: 421–7., , , et al.
- 35The effects of processing methods upon mechanical and biologic properties of porcine dermal extracellular matrix scaffolds. Biomaterials 2010; 31: 8626–33., , , et al.
- 36Construction of a portal implantable functional tissue-engineered liver using perfusion-decellularized matrix and hepatocytes in rats. Cell Transplant 2011; 20: 753–66., , , et al.
- 37Simple and quick method for whole-liver decellularization: a novel in vitro three-dimensional bioengineering tool? Arch Toxicol 2011; 85: 607–12., , , et al.
- 38Decellularized liver matrix as a carrier for the transplantation of human fetal and primary hepatocytes in mice. Liver Transpl 2011; 17: 418–27., , , et al.
- 39Organ reengineering through development of a transplantable recellularized liver graft using decellularized liver matrix. Nat Med 2010; 16: 814–20., , , et al.
- 40Detergent decellularization of heart valves for tissue engineering: toxicological effects of residual detergents on human endothelial cells. Artif Organs 2010; 34: 206–10., , , et al.
- 41A whole-organ regenerative medicine approach for liver replacement. Tissue Eng Part C Methods 2011; 17: 677–86., , , et al.
- 42Porcine bioengineered scaffolds as new frontiers in regenerative medicine. Transplant Proc 2012; 44: 1146–50., .
- 43Assessing porcine liver-derived biomatrix for hepatic tissue engineering. Tissue Eng 2004; 10: 1046–53., , , .
- 44Changes in liver-specific compared to common gene transcription during primary culture of mouse hepatocytes. Mol Cell Biol 1983; 3: 1552–61., .
- 45Stem cells in gastroenterology and hepatology. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009; 6: 724–37., .
- 46An in vitro expansion system for generation of human iPS cell-derived hepatic progenitor-like cells exhibiting a bipotent differentiation potential. PLoS ONE 2013; 8: e67541., , , , .
- 47The use of whole organ decellularization for the generation of a vascularized liver organoid. Hepatology 2011; 53: 604–17., , , et al.
- 48Long-term superior performance of a stem cell/hepatocyte device for the treatment of acute liver failure. Tissue Eng Part A 2009; 15: 3377–88., , , et al.
- 49Transplantation of 3D scaffolds seeded with human embryonic stem cells: biological features of surrogate tissue and teratoma-forming potential. Regen Med 2007; 2: 289–300., , , et al.
- 50Thinking outside the liver: induced pluripotent stem cells for hepatic applications. World J Gastroenterol 2013; 19: 3385–96., , .
- 51New approaches in the differentiation of human embryonic stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells toward hepatocytes. Stem Cell Rev 2011; 7: 748–59., , , et al.
- 52Highly efficient generation of human hepatocyte-like cells from induced pluripotent stem cells. Hepatology 2010; 51: 297–305., , , et al.
- 53Repopulation of decellularized mouse heart with human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiovascular progenitor cells. Nat Commun 2013; 4: 2307., , , et al.
- 54piggyBac transposition reprograms fibroblasts to induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature 2009; 458: 766–70., , , et al.
- 55Virus-free induction of pluripotency and subsequent excision of reprogramming factors. Nature 2009; 458: 771–5., , , et al.
- 56Mesenchymal stem cells in human second-trimester bone marrow, liver, lung, and spleen exhibit a similar immunophenotype but a heterogeneous multilineage differentiation potential. Haematologica 2003; 88: 845–52., , , et al.,
- 57Intratracheal transplantation of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells reduced airway inflammation and up-regulated CD4(+)CD25(+) regulatory T cells in asthmatic mouse. Cell Biol Int 2013; 37: 675–86., , , et al.
- 58Immediate intraportal transplantation of human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells prevents death from fulminant hepatic failure in pigs. Hepatology 2012; 56: 1044–52., , , et al.
- 59The differentiation of MSCs into functional hepatocyte-like cells in a liver biomatrix scaffold and their transplantation into liver-fibrotic mice. Biomaterials 2012; 33: 8995–9008., , , et al.
- 60Artificial liver: a forthcoming attraction. Hepatology 1993; 17: 1163–4., .
- 61Human hepatocyte transplantation: state of the art. J Intern Med 2009; 266: 339–57., , .
- 62Engineering of an hepatic organoid to develop liver assist devices. Cell Transplant 2010; 19: 815–22., , , et al.
- 63Dynamic seeding and in vitro culture of hepatocytes in a flow perfusion system. Tissue Eng 2000; 6: 39–44., , , et al.
- 64Liver tissue engineering at extrahepatic sites in mice as a potential new therapy for genetic liver diseases. Hepatology 2005; 41: 132–40., , , et al.
- 65Defining stem cell types: understanding the therapeutic potential of ESCs, ASCs, and iPS cells. J Mol Endocrinol 2012; 49: R89–111., , , et al.
- 66Heterotopic hepatocyte transplantation: assessing the impact of hepatotrophic stimulation. Transplant Proc 1994; 26: 2240–1., , , , , et al.
- 67Blood volume in the rat. J Nucl Med 1985; 26: 72–6., .
- 68Kinetics of endothelial cell seeding. J Vasc Surg 1985; 2: 778–84., , , .
- 69The role of bioreactors in tissue engineering. Trends Biotechnol 2004; 22: 80–6., , .
- 70Review and management of side effects associated with antiplatelet therapy for prevention of recurrent cerebrovascular events. Adv Ther 2011; 28: 473–82..
- 71The novel oral anticoagulants. Semin Thromb Hemost 2013; 39: 117–26., .
- 72Surface modification of poly(glycolic acid) (PGA) for biomedical applications. J Pharm Sci 2003; 92: 933–7., , ,
- 73Surface modification and property analysis of biomedical polymers used for tissue engineering. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2007; 60: 137–57., , .
- 74Natural polyelectrolyte films based on layer-by layer deposition of collagen and hyaluronic acid. Biomaterials 2005; 26: 3353–61., , , et al.
- 75Osteoconductive protamine-based polyelectrolyte multilayer functionalized surfaces. Biomaterials 2011; 32: 7491–502., , , et al.
- 76Decellularized liver as a practical scaffold with a vascular network template for liver tissue engineering. J Biosci Bioeng 2012; 114: 546–51., , .
- 77Proteomic profiling of human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells under shear stress. Mol Cell Biochem 2010; 341: 9–16., , , et al.
- 78Angiogenic mechanisms of endothelialization of cardiovascular implants: a review of recent investigative strategies. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 2000; 11: 1275–84., .
- 79Electrostatic endothelial cell seeding technique for small-diameter (<6 mm) vascular prostheses: feasibility testing. Cell Transplant 1997; 6: 623–9., .
- 80Improving endothelial healing with novel chimeric mitogens. Am J Surg 2006; 192: 589–93., , , et al.
- 81The S130K fibroblast growth factor-1 mutant induces heparin-independent proliferation and is resistant to thrombin degradation in fibrin glue. J Vasc Surg 2000; 31: 382–90., , , , .
- 82Construction and biological characterization of an HB-GAM/FGF-1 chimera for vascular tissue engineering. J Vasc Surg 2001; 33: 554–60., , , et al.
- 83Covalent binding of protamine by glutaraldehyde to bioprosthetic tissue: characterization and anticalcification effect. Biomater Artif Cells Immobilization Biotechnol 1992; 20: 31–41., .
- 84Vascularization–the conduit to viable engineered tissues. Tissue Eng Part B Rev 2009; 15: 159–69., , , .
- 85Role of mesenchymal stem cells in angiogenesis and clinical applications. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi 2010; 18: 1084–7., , .
- 86Rapid vascularization of tissue-engineered vascular grafts in vivo by endothelial cells in co-culture with smooth muscle cells. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2012; 23: 1109–17., , , et al.
- 87Tissue-engineered lungs for in vivo implantation. Science 2010; 329: 538–41., , , et al.