Anchoring Agreement in Comprehension
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Author. Language and Linguistics Compass © 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Language and Linguistics Compass
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 1–21, January 2013
How to Cite
Mancini, S., Molinaro, N. and Carreiras, M. (2013), Anchoring Agreement in Comprehension. Language and Linguistics Compass, 7: 1–21. doi: 10.1111/lnc3.12008
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
- 2003. Integrating gender and number information in Spanish word pairs: an ERP study. Cortex 39(3). 465–82. , and .
- 2005. Grammatical gender and number agreement in Spanish: an ERP comparison. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 17(1). 137–53. , and .
- 2004. Gender or genders agreement? The on-line study of sentence comprehension: eye-tracking, ERPs and beyond, ed. by M. Carreiras and C. Clifton, 309–28. London: Psychology Press. , , and .
- 1966. Problemes de linguistique generale. Paris: Gallimard. .
- 2006. On the syntax of personal arguments. Lingua 116(12). 2023–67. .
- 2001. Some attractions of verb agreement. Cognitive Psychology 43. 83–128. , , , , and .
- 2004. Multidimensional contribution to garden-path strength: dissociating phrase structure from case marking. Journal of Memory and Language 51. 495–522. , , , and .
- 2006. The extended argument dependency model: a neurocognitive approach to sentence comprehension across languages. Psychological Review 113(4). 787–821. , and .
- 2002. Readers’ eye-movement distinguish anomalies of forms and content. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research 31. 25–44. , , , and .
- 2005. Processing reflexes of the feature hierarchy (person > number > gender) and implications for linguistic theory. Lingua 115. 259–85.
- 2004. Event-related potentials elicited during parsing of ambiguous relative clauses in Spanish. Cognitive Brain Research, 20. 98–105. , , and .
- 1981. Lectures on government and binding. Foris: Dordrecht. .
- 1995. The minimalist program. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 2000. Minimalist inquiries: the framework. Step by step: essays in honour of Howard Lasnik, ed. by R. Martin, D. Michaels and J. Uriagereka, 89–155. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 2001. Derivation by phase. Ken Hale: a life in language, ed. by M. Kenstowoicz, 1–52. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 2009. The N400 as a correlate of interpretively-relevant linguistic rules: evidence from Hindi. Neuropsychologia 47. 3012–22. , , , and .
- 2008. The cartography of syntactic structure. STiL 2. 42–58. , and .
- 2000. Number. Oxford: Oxford University Press. .
- 2006. Agreement. Oxford: Oxford University Press. .
- 2004. Impersonal Si Constructions. Agreement and Interpretation. Unpublished PhD dissertation, Stuttgart: University of Stuttgart. .
- 2003. Differences in the perception and time-course of syntactic and semantic violations. Brain and Language 85. 280–95. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Syntactic and semantic factors in processing gender agreement in Hebrew: evidence from ERPs and eye-movements. Journal of Memory and Language 45(2). 200–24. , and .
- 2002. Towards a neural basis of auditory sentence processing. Trends in Cognitive Science 6(2). 78–84.
- 2001. The N400 reflects problems of thematic hierarchizing. NeuroReport 12. 3391–4. , and .
- 2005. The resolution of case conflicts: a neurophysiological perspective. Cognitive Brain Research 25. 484–98. , and .
- 1963. Some universals of grammar with particular reference to the order of meaningful elements. The universals of language, ed. by J. H. Greenberg, 71–13. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 2003. Interplay between syntax and semantics during sentence comprehension: ERP effects of combining syntactic and semantic violations. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 15(6). 883–99. .
- 2000. ERP effects of listening to speech compared to reading: the P600/SPS to syntactic violations in spoken sentences and rapid serial visual presentation. Neuropsychologia 38. 1531–49. , and .
- 1993. The syntactic positive shift (SPS) as an ERP measure of syntactic processing. Language and Cognitive Processes 8. 439–83. , , and .
- 1999. The neurocognition of syntactic processing. Neurocognition of Language, ed. by C. Brown and P. Hagoort, 273–316. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , and .
- 2002. Person and number in pronouns: a feature-geometric analysis. Language 78(3). 482–526. , and .
- 1985). The unagreement hypothesis. Selected papers from the thirteenth linguistic simposium on romance languages, ed. by L. King and C. Maley, 187–211. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. . (
- 1986. Arbitrary plural pronominals. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 4. 43–76. .
- 1971. Shifters, verbal categories and the Russian verb. Selected writings, 2. Word and Language, 130–47. The Hague: Mouton. .
- 2000. The P600 as an index of syntactic integration difficulty. Language and Cognitive Processes 15(2). 159–201. , , , and .
- 2003. Electrophysiological evidence for serial sentence processing: a comparison between non-preferred and ungrammatical continuations. Cognitive Brain Research 17. 621–35. , and .
- 2007. Event-related brain potentials (ERP) studies of sentence processing. The Oxford handbook of psycholinguistics, ed. by G. Gaskell, 385–406. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and .
- 1983. Event-related brain potentials to grammatical errors and semantic anomalies. Memory and Cognition 11. 539–50. , and .
- 1980. Reading senseless sentences: brain potentials reflect semantic anomaly. Science 207. 203–5. , and .
- 1984. Brain potentials during reading reflect word expectancy and semantic association. Nature 307. 161–3. , and .
- 2011b. Tracking the time-course of agreement in Spanish: Unagreement. Poster presented at the AMLaP Conference, Paris, September 1–3. , , , and .
- 2011a. Persons are not numbers: discourse involvement in subject-verb agreement computation. Brain Research 1410. 64–76. , , , and .
- 2011c. When persons disagree: an ERP study of Unagreement in Spanish. Psychophysiology 48. 1361–71. , , , and .
- 2011b. Grammatical agreement processing in reading: ERP findings and future directions. Cortex 47. 908–30. , , and .
- 2008. A deeper reanalysis of a superficial feature: an ERP study on agreement violations. Brain Research 1228, 161–76. , , and .
- 2011a. Why brother and sisters are not just siblings: repair processes in agreement computation. Journal of Memory and Language 64. 211–32. , , , and .
- 2007. The role of feature-number and feature-type in processing Hindi verb agreement violations. Brain Research 1164. 81–94. , , , and .
- 1998. Anomaly detection: eye-movement patterns. Journal of Psycholonguistic Research 27. 515–39. , , , and .
- 1997. Subject-verb agreement processes in comprehension. Journal of Memory and Language 36. 569–87. , , and .
- 1995. Event-related brain potentials elicited by failure to agree. Journal of Memory and Language 34. 739–73. , and .
- 1999. Agreement processes in sentence comprehension. Journal of Memory and Language 41, 427–56. , , and .
- 1994. Head-driven phrase structure grammar. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. , and .
- 2005. When word category information encounters morphosyntax: an ERP study. Neuroscience Letters 384. 228–33. , , , and .
- 1989. The hierarchical representation of subject-verb agreement, ms. Haifa: University of Haifa. .
- 2010. The cartographic enterprise in syntax. Language & Linguistic Compass 4(6). 417–29. .
- 2004. The syntax of person, tense and speech features. Italian Journal of Linguistics 16. 219–51.
- 2006. Agree in syntax, agreement in signs. Agreement Systems, ed. by C. Boeckx, 201–37. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins. .
- 2009. Language quarks. Iberia: An International Journal of Theoretical Linguistics 1. 169–83.
- 2007. An ERP study of agreement features in Spanish. Brain Research 1185. 201–11. , and .
- 2003. The time-course of the application of binding constraints in reference resolution. Journal of Memory and Language 48. 542–62. .
- 2009. Agreement attraction in comprehension: representations and processes. Journal of Memory and Language 61(2). 206–37. , , and .
- 2009. Agreement features. Language and Linguistic Compass 3(1). 384–405. .
- 2011. Mixed agreement, the person feature and the index/concord distinction. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 29. 999–1031. .
- 2000. A theory of agreement and its application to Serbo-Croatian. Language 76. 799–832. , and .
- 2003. The many faces of agreement. Stanford: CSLI Publications. , and .
- 2004. Anticipating words and their gender: an event-related brain potential study of semantic integration, gender expectancy and gender agreement in Spanish sentence Reading. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 16(7). 1272–88. , , and .