Principles, Passions, and the Paradox of Modern Law: A Comment on Bybee
Article first published online: 15 FEB 2013
© 2013 American Bar Foundation
Law & Social Inquiry
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 196–205, Winter 2013
How to Cite
Ewick, P. (2013), Principles, Passions, and the Paradox of Modern Law: A Comment on Bybee. Law & Social Inquiry, 38: 196–205. doi: 10.1111/lsi.12003
- Issue published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 15 FEB 2013
- 2003. Face and Politeness: New (Insights) for Old (Concepts). Journal of Pragmatics 35:1453–1469.
- 2007. Legal Realism as Psychological and Cultural (Not Political) Realism. In How Law Knows, ed. Austin Sarat , Lawrence Douglas , and Martha Merrill Umphrey . Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press. , and .
- 2010. All Judges Are Political—Except When They Are Not: Acceptable Hypocrisies and the Rule of Law. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- 1986. Individualism and Freedom. In Durkheim on Politics and the State, ed. Anthony Giddens . Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- 1998. The Civilizing Process. In The Norbert Elias Reader, ed. Johan Goudsblom and Stephen Mennell . Oxford: Blackwell.
- 1997. The Common Place of Law: Stories from Everyday Life. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. , and .
- 1972. Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam. New York: Little Brown.
- 1953. Communication Conduct in an Island Community. PhD diss., University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- 1967. On the Nature of Deference and Demeanor. In Interaction Ritual: Essays on Face-to-Face Behavior. Garden City, NJ: Anchor Books. .
- 1974. Frame Analysis: An Essay on the Organization of Experience. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. .
- 2009. The Trial of the Century. New Yorker, September 28, 72–78.
- 1988. Seductions of Crime: Moral and Sensual Attractions in Doing Evil. New York: Basic Books.
- 1962. Philosophical Fragments. Trans. David Swenson. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 1990 Getting Justice and Getting Even: Legal Consciousness Among Working Class Americans. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- 2008. Punishment and Culture. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.