Raman spectroscopic study of diamond and graphite in ureilites and the origin of diamonds
Article first published online: 8 NOV 2012
© The Meteoritical Society, 2012
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 11, pages 1728–1737, November 2012
How to Cite
NAGASHIMA, K., NARA, M. and MATSUDA, J.-i. (2012), Raman spectroscopic study of diamond and graphite in ureilites and the origin of diamonds. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 1728–1737. doi: 10.1111/maps.12007
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 8 NOV 2012
- (Received 16 December 2011; revision accepted 16 September 2012)
- 1966. Critique of paper by N. L. Carter and G. C. Kennedy, “Origin of diamonds in the Canyon Diablo and Novo Urei Meteorites.”Journal of Geophysical Research71: 643–661. and .
- 1971. Fractionation and condensation in space. Earth and Planetary Science Letters10:253–267. and
- 2006. Determination of the petrologic type of CV3 chondrites by Raman spectroscopy of included organic matter. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta70:1849–1863. , , , and
- 2007. Characterization of insoluble organic matter in primitive meteorites by microRaman spectroscopy. Meteoritics & Planetary Science42:1387–1416. , , and
- 1964. Origin of diamonds in the Canyon Diablo and Novo Urei meteorites. Journal of Geophysical Research69:2403–2421. and
- 1988. Formation of ureilites by nebular processes. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta52:1313–1318. and
- 2010. Spectral reflectance properties of ureilites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science45:1668–1694. , , , , , , and
- 2000. Raman scattering in fullerenes and related carbon-based material. Raman scattering in material sciences, edited by Weber W. H. and Merlin R. Berlin: Springer series in materials science, vol. 42, Springer-Verlag. pp. 314–364. , , , and .
- 2001. In situ discovery of shock-induced graphite-diamond phase transition in gneisses from the Ries Crater, Germany. American Mineralogist86:611–621. , , , , , and
- 2000. Interpretation of Raman spectra of disordered and amorphous carbon. Physical Review B — Condensed Matter and Materials Physics61:14095–14107. and
- 1997. Vapor-growth carbon and the origin of carbonaceous material in ureilites. Geochemical Journal31:263–273. and
- 1987. Noble gas enrichment in vapour-growth diamonds and the origin of diamonds in ureilites. Nature328:141–143. , , , , and
- 1978. On trapped noble gases in ureilites. Journal of Geophysical Research83:855–867. , , and
- 1998. Pressure-induced phase transformations in diamond. Journal of Applied Physics84:1299–1304. , , and
- 1992. Ureilites: A critical review. Meteoritics27:327–352.
- 1985. The carbon and nitrogen isotopic composition of ureilites: Implications for their genesis. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta49:903–915. , , , and
- 1989. Is the width of the Raman line of diamond diagnostic for the origin of diamonds in meteorites? Comment on “Raman spectra of ureilite diamonds” by M. Miyamoto, Y. Nashimura, J. Matsuda and K. Ito. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta53:3059–3060.
- 2008. In situ micro-Raman and X-ray diffraction study of diamonds and petrology of the new ureilite UAE 001 from the United Arab Emirates. Meteoritics & Planetary Science43:1127–1136. , , , , , , and
- 2009. Formation of diamond-like carbon by fs laser irradiation of organic liquids. Diamond and Related Materials18:999–1001. , , , and
- 1987. Ureilites: Trace element clues to their origin. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta51:2275–2283. , , , , and
- 1982. The Nilpena ureilites, an unusual polymict breccia: Implications for origin. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta46:893–900. and
- 1991. In-situ micro Raman studies on graphitic carbon in some Antarctic ureilites. Proceedings of the NIPR Symposium on Antarctic Meteorites4:371–383. , , , , and
- 1994. Raman frequencies of graphitic carbon in Antarctic ureilites. Proceedings of the NIPR Symposium on Antarctic Meteorites7:252–261. , , and
- 2009. Different diamonds in meteorites—DaG 868 and NWA 3140 ureilites. Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering37:292–297. , , and
- 1989. Characterization of diamond films by Raman spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Research4:385–393. and
- 2010. Structures, origin and evolution of various carbon phases in the ureilite Northwest Africa 4742 compared with laboratory-shocked graphite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta74:4167–4185. , , , , and
- 1975. Host phase of a strange xenon component in Allende. Science190:1251–1262. , , and
- 1964. Origin of diamonds in the ureilites. Science143:1431–1434.
- 1988. On the vapor-growth diamonds formation in the solar nebula. Lunar and Planetary Science19:736–737. , , and
- 1991. Noble gas studies in vapor-growth diamonds: Comparison with shock-produced diamonds and the origin of diamonds in ureilites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta55:2011–2023. , , and
- 1995. Noble gas studies in diamonds synthesized by shock loading in the laboratory and their implications on the origin of diamonds in ureilites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta59:4939–4949. , , , and
- 2009. Raman spectroscopic study of the noble gas carrier Q in the Allende meteorites. Geochemical Journal43:323–329. , , , and
- 2010a. The effect of pyridine treatment on phase Q: Orgueil and Allende. Meteoritics & Planetary Science45:1191–1205. , , , , and
- 2010b. An attempt to characterize phase Q: Noble gas, Raman spectroscopy and transmission electron microscopy in residues prepared from the Allende meteorite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta74:5398–5409. , , , , , , , and
- 2010. Electron microscopy of pyroxene in the Almahata Sitta ureilite. Meteoritics & Planetary Science45:1812–1820. , , , , , , and
- 2004. Achondrites. In Meteorites, comets and planets. edited by Davis A. M. Treatise on Geochemistry, vol. 1. Oxford: Elsevier-Pergamon. pp. 291–324. .
- 1988. Raman spectroscopy of diamond in ureilite and implication for the origin of diamond. Geophysical Research Letters15:1445–1448. , , and
- 1993. Raman spectra of various diamonds. Mineralogical Journal16:246–257. , , and
- 2011. On the effect of laser-induced heating in a Raman spectroscopic study of carbonaceous material in meteorite. Spectroscopy Letters44:459–463. , , , and
- 2000. Mineralogical evidence for the origin of diamond in ureilites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science35:487–493. and
- 2002. Noble gases in meteorites – Trapped components. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry47: 71–101. .
- 1981. Noble-gas-rich separates from the Allende meteorite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta45:1751–1788. , , and
- 1984. Ureilite: The case of missing diamonds and a new neon component. Meteoritics19:287–288. , , and
- 2007. Studying disorder in graphite-based systems by Raman spectroscopy. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics9:1276–1291. , , , , , and
- 2002. Nitrogen in diamond-free ureilite Allan Hills 78019: Clues to the origin of diamond in ureilites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science37:1045–1055. , , and
- 2003a. Nitrogen components in ureilites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta67:2213–2237. , , and
- 2003b. Noble gases in ureilites: Cosmogenic, radiogenic, and trapped components. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta67:4435–4456. , , and
- 1960. The Novo Urei meteorite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta20:1–4.
- 2011. MicroRaman spectroscopy of diamond and graphite in Almahata Sitta and comparison with other ureilites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:364–378. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2002. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 86, July. Meteoritics & Planetary Science37:A157–A184. , , , and
- 2005. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 89, September. Meteoritics & Planetary Science40:A201–A263. , , , , , ., , and
- 2005. Raman microspectroscopy of soot and related carbonaceous materials: Spectral analysis and structural information. Carbon43:1731–1742. , , , , and
- 2009. UV and VIS Raman spectra of natural lonsdaleites: Towards a recognised standard. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy73:428–435. and
- 1987. Mineralogy of Antarctic ureilites and a working hypothesis for their origin and evolution. Earth and Planetary Science Letters81:358–370.
- 1989. Mineralogy of coexisting pyroxenes in magnesian ureilites and their formation conditions. Earth and Planetary Science Letters93:181–194.
- 2001. Mineralogy of a newly weakly shocked ureilite Dar Al Gany 868 with diamonds. Meteoritics & Planetary Science36:A203–A204. , , , , and
- 2006. Microtextures and crystal chemistry of pigeonite in the ureilites ALHA77257, RKPA80239, Y-791538, and ALHA81101. Meteoritics & Planetary Science41:979–988.
- 1970. Raman spectrum of graphite. The Journal of Chemical Physics53:1126–1130. and
- 1956. Diamonds, meteorites, and the origin of the solar system. The Astrophysical Journal124:623–637.
- 1970. Ureilites. Space Science Reviews10:483–510. .
- 1981. Observation of Raman band shifting with excitation wavelength for carbons and graphites. Solid State Communications39:341–344. , , , and
- 1971. Noble gases in the Haverö ureilite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters13:205–209. , , and
- 1976. Primordial gases in graphite-diamond-kamacite inclusions from the Haverö ureilite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters29:81–90. , , and
- 1998. Multiple nitrogen isotopic components coexisting in ureilites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science33:857–870. , , , and
- 1993. Raman scattering from diamond particles. Applied Physics Letters62:3114–3116. , , , , , and
- 2006. A reconsideration of the relationship between the crystallite size La of carbons determined by X-ray diffraction and Raman spectroscopy. Carbon44:3239–3246. , , , , and