The MEMIN research unit: Scaling impact cratering experiments in porous sandstones
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 8–22, January 2013
How to Cite
POELCHAU, M. H., KENKMANN, T., THOMA, K., HOERTH, T., DUFRESNE, A. and SCHÄFER, F. (2013), The MEMIN research unit: Scaling impact cratering experiments in porous sandstones. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 48: 8–22. doi: 10.1111/maps.12016
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2013
- (Received 15 March 2012; revision accepted 04 October 2012)
- 1993. Impact-induced tensional failure in rock. Journal of Geophysical Research98:1185–1203. and
- 1984. Subcritical crack growth in geological materials. Journal of Geophysical Research89:4077–4114.
- 2007. Laboratory impacts into dry and wet sandstone with and without an overlying layer: Implications for scaling laws and projectile survivability. Meteoritics & Planetary Science42:1905–1914. , , , and
- 2007. Non-intrusive measurements of crater growth. Icarus188:506–521. , , , , and
- 2013. Deformation of dry and wet sandstone targets during hyper-velocity impact experiments, as revealed from the MEMIN program. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01431.x. , , , and
- 2005. Impact craters on small icy bodies such as icy satellites and comet nuclei. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society360:769–781. and
- 2003. Oblique incidence hypervelocity impacts on rock. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society341:192–198. and
- 1971. Influence of water in rocks on effects of underground nuclear explosions. Journal of Geophysical Research76:1993–2011.
- 1977. Martian craters and emplacement of ejecta by surface flows. Journal of Geophysical Research82:4055–4065. , , , , , and
- 2013. Crater morphology in sandstone targets: The MEMIN impact parameter study. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12024. , , , , , , and .
- 2013. Chemical modification of projectile residues and target material in a MEMIN cratering experiment. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.1429.x. , , , and
- 1994. Shock wave profile study of tuff from the Nevada Test Site. Journal of Geophysical Research99:15529–15537. , , and
- 2011. Kamil crater (Egypt): Ground truth for small-scale meteorite impacts on Earth. Geology39:179–182. doi: 10.1130/G31624. 1. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1973. Displaced mass, depth, diameter, and effects of oblique trajectories for impact craters formed in dense crystalline rocks. The Moon6:32–44.
- 1963. Particle-solid impact phenomena. Proceedings, 6th Hypervelocity Impact Symposium. pp. 543–576. and .
- 1987. Dynamic rock fragmentation. In Fracture mechanics of rock, edited by Atkinson B. K. San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 429–475. and
- 2013. Propagation of impact-induced shock waves in porous sandstone using mesoscale modeling. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01430.x , , , and .
- 2012. How old are young lunar craters?Journal of Geophysical Research, 117:E00H10. doi:10.1029/2011JE003935. , , , , , , and
- 2000. Shock-recovery experiments of sandstone under dry and water-saturated conditions. Proceedings, 11th Topical Conference on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter. pp. 1251–1254. , , , , and .
- 2013. Hypervelocity impacts on dry and wet sandstone: Observations of ejecta dynamics and crater growth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12044. , , , , , , and
- 1980. The equivalent depth of burst for impact cratering. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2379–2401.
- 1993. The scaling of impact processes in planetary sciences. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Science21:333–373.
- 2004. The cratering database: Making code jockeys honest (abstract #1779). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and .
- 2007. A crater and its ejecta: An interpretation of deep impact. Icarus187:345–356. and
- 1982. On the scaling of crater dimensions 2. Impact processes. Journal of Geophysical Research87:1849–1870. and
- 2003. Impact cratering on porous asteroids. Icarus163:102–119. and
- 2006. Ries and Chicxulub: Impact craters on Earth provide insights for Martian ejecta blankets. Meteoritics & Planetary Science41:1587–1603. and
- 2009. The Carancas meteorite impact crater, Peru: Geologic surveying and modeling of crater formation and atmospheric passage. Meteoritics & Planetary Science44:985–1000. , , , , , and
- 2011. Impact cratering in sandstone: The MEMIN pilot study on the effect of pore water. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:890–902. , , , , , and
- 2013. Deformation and melting of steel projectiles in hypervelocity cratering experiments. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12018. , , , , , , , and .
- 1976. Shock processes in porous quartzite: Transmission electron microscope observations and theory. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology59:41–93. , , and
- 2013. First MEMIN shock recovery experiments in dry, porous sandstone at low shock pressure (5–12.5 GPa). Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12030. , , , and .
- 2007. Guidebook to the geology of Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona (a.k.a. Meteor Crater). LPI Contribution No. 1355. Houston, Texas: Lunar and Planetary Institute. 150 p. .
- 1987. Impact experiments in low-temperature ice. Icarus69:506–518. and
- 2013. The extra-large light-gas gun of the Fraunhofer EMI: Applications for impact cratering research. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01427.x. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Target porosity effects in impact cratering and collisional disruption. Icarus105:216–224. , , and
- 1984. Impact ejection, spallation, and the origin of meteorites. Icarus59:234–260.
- 1994. Dynamic behavior of materials. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 668 p. .
- 2007. Ejecta velocity distribution for impact cratering experiments on porous and low strength targets. Planetary and Space Science55:70–88. , , , and
- 1962. Current tabulation of data from hypervelocity impact experiments. U.S. Geological Survey Astrogeologic Studies Semiannual Progress Report, Feb. 25, 1961–Aug. 24, 1961. pp. 106–112. and
- 1963. Fluid impact craters and hypervelocity-high velocity impact experiments in metals and rocks. Proceedings, 6th Hypervelocity Impact Symposium. pp. 367–400. , , and .
- 2013. Application of non-destructive testing methods to study the damage zone underneath impact craters of laboratory experiments. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: doi: 10.1111/maps.12000. , , , and .
- 1977. Application of high explosion cratering data to planetary problems. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by Roddy D. J., Pepin R. O., and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon. pp. 45–64. .
- 2006. Application of Mohr–Coulomb failure theory to very porous sandy shales. International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences43:1153–1162.
- 1975. Meteor Crater, Arizona, rim drilling with thickness, structural uplift, diameter, depth, volume, and mass-balance calculations. Proceedings 6th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 2621–2644. , , , and
- MEMIN Team. 2006. Impact tests on dry and wet sandstone. Proceedings, 1st International Conference on Impact Cratering in the Solar System. ESA Special Publication #612. , , , , , and
- 1980. Meteor Crater: Energy of formation-implications of centrifuge scaling. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2099–2128.
- 1987. Some recent advances in the scaling of impact and explosion cratering. International Journal of Impact Engineering5:543–560. and
- 2007. The Deep Impact oblique impact cratering experiment. Icarus190:295–333. , , , , , and
- 1963. Hypervelocity impact of steel into Coconino sandstone. American Journal of Science261:668–682.
- 2002. Velocity scaling of impact craters in water ice over the range 1–7.3 km/s. Icarus155:475–485. , , and
- 2009. H2O at the Phoenix landing site. Science325:58–61. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1986. Small-scale impacts into rock: An evaluation of the effects of target temperature on experimental results. Geophysical Research Letters13:745–748. , , and
- 2013. Ejection behavior characteristics of experimental impacts into dry and wet sandstone: Results from the MEMIN research unit. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12017. , , , , , , , and
- 1994. Shock metamorphism of quartz in nature and experiment: I. Basic observation and theory. Meteoritics29:155–181. and
- 2011. Weathering behaviour and construction suitability of dimension stones from the Drei Gleichen area (Thuringia, Germany). Environmental Earth Sciences63:1763–1786. , , and
- 2009. A meteorite crater on Earth formed on September 15, 2007: The Carancas hypervelocity impact. Meteoritics & Planetary Science44:1967–1984. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2006. A strain-based porosity model for use in hydrocode simulations of impacts and implications for transient crater growth in porous targets. Icarus180:514–527. , , and
- 2011. Scaling of impact crater formation on planetary surfaces–Insights from numerical modeling. Proceedings, 11th Hypervelocity Impact Symposium. pp. 1–16. , , , , and .
- 1967. Physics of shock waves and high-temperature hydrodynamic phenomena, vol. 2. New York: Academic Press. 944 p. , and .