Ejection behavior characteristics in experimental cratering in sandstone targets
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 33–49, January 2013
How to Cite
SOMMER, F., REISER, F., DUFRESNE, A., POELCHAU, M. H., HOERTH, T., DEUTSCH, A., KENKMANN, T. and THOMA, K. (2013), Ejection behavior characteristics in experimental cratering in sandstone targets. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 48: 33–49. doi: 10.1111/maps.12017
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
- (Received 17 March 2012; revision accepted 09 October 2012)
- 1993. Impact-induced tensional failure in rock. Journal of Geophysical Research98:1185–1203. and
- 2005. The effect of projectile density and disruption on the crater excavation flow-field (abstract #1773). 36th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and .
- 2006. Flow-field center migration during vertical and oblique impacts. International Journal of Impact Engineering33:35–44. and
- 2004. Experimental ejection angles for oblique impacts: Implications for the sub-surface flow field. Meteoritics & Planetary Science39:303–320. , , and
- 1985. Fine fragments in high-velocity impact experiments. Journal of Geophysical Research90:12445–12453.
- 2007. Laboratory impacts into dry and wet sandstone with and without an overlying water layer: Implications for scaling laws and projectile survivability. Meteoritics & Planetary Science42:1905–1914. , , , and
- 2007. Non-intrusive measurements of crater growth. Icarus18:506–521. , , , , and
- 2010. Rampart craters on Ganymede: Their implications for fluidized ejecta emplacement. Meteoritics & Planetary Science24:1–24. , , , and
- 2013. Deformation of dry and wet sandstone targets during hyper-velocity impact experiments, as revealed from the MEMIN program. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01431.x. , , , and
- 2003. Oblique incidence hypervelocity impacts on rock. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society341:192–198. and
- 2003. Survivability of bacteria ejected from icy surfaces after hypervelocity impact. Origins of Life and Evolution of Biospheres33:53–74. , , , and
- 1974. Influence of water in rocks on effects of underground nuclear explosions. Journal of Geophysical Research76:8604–8605.
- 1984. Catastrophic rupture experiments. Proceedings, 15th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 158–159. and
- 1985. Impact experiments in H2O (ice). Proceedings, 16th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 131–132. , , , and
- 1999. Ejection-velocity distributions from impacts into coarse-grained sand. Meteoritics & Planetary Science34:605–623. , , and
- 2013. Chemical modification of projectile residues and target material in a MEMIN cratering experiment. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.1429.x. , , , and
- 2009. Bacterial spores in granite survive hypervelocity launch by spallation. Implications for Lithopanspermia, Astrobiology9:647–657. , , , and
- 1963. Spray ejected from the lunar surface by meteorite impact. NASA technical note 0-1 767. , , and .
- 1980. Impact cratering in viscous targets: Laboratory experiments. Proceedings, 11th Lunar Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2075–2097. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Propagation of impact-induced shock waves in porous sandstone using mesoscale modeling. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01430.x. , , , and
- 2011. Time-resolved studies of hypervelocity vertical impacts into porous particulate targets: Effects of projectile density on early-time coupling and crater growth. Icarus216:269–279. and
- 1999. Shock-recovery experiments of sandstone under dry and water-saturated conditions. Proceedings, 11th Topical Conference on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter. pp. 1251–1254. , , , , and .
- 2013. Hypervelocity impacts on dry and wet sandstone: Observations of ejecta dynamics and crater growth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01430.x. , , , , , , and
- 1969. Structural and mineralogical evaluation of an experimentally produced impact crater in granite. Contributions in Mineralogy and Petrology21:365–377.
- 2009. Penetration tracks in aerogel produced by Al2O3 spheres. Meteoritics & Planetary Science44:1243–1264. , , , and
- 2011. Ejecta from impact craters. Icarus211:856–875. and
- 2011. Impact cratering in sandstone: The MEMIN pilot study on the effect of pore water. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:890–902. , , , , and
- 2012. Deformation and melting of steel projectiles in hypervelocity cratering experiments. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12018. , , , , , , , and
- 1980. The role of volatiles and lithology in the impact cratering process. Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics18:143–181. and
- 2001. Impact into ice–silicate mixtures: Crater morphologies, volumes, depth-to-diameter ratios and yield. Icarus154:391–401. and
- 1994. Shock experiments on pre-heated α- and β-quartz: I. Optical and density data. Earth and Planetary Science Letters125:407–420. and
- 2013. The extra-large light-gas gun of the Fraunhofer EMI: Applications for impact cratering research. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01427.x. , , , , , and
- 1995. Rock failure. In Rock physics & phase relations a handbook of physical constants, edited by Ahrens T. J. Washington DC: American Geophysical Union. pp. 127–147.
- 2001. Dynamic behavior of Berea sandstone for dry and water-saturated conditions. International Journal of Impact Engineering26:465–474. , , , and
- 1989. Impact cratering. New York: Oxford University Press. 245 p. .
- 2007. Ejecta velocity distribution for impact cratering experiments on porous and low strength targets. Planetary and Space Science55:70–88. , , , and
- 2011. Influence of temperature on crater and ejecta size following hypervelocity impact of aluminum alloy spheres on thick aluminum alloy targets. International Journal of Impact Engineering42:37–47. , , , and
- 1985. Impact and explosion crater ejecta, fragment size and velocity. Icarus62:328–338. and
- 2013. The MEMIN research unit: Scaling impact cratering experiments in porous sandstones. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12016. , , , , , and
- 1970. Stress wave effects in inhomogeneous and porous earth materials. Systems, Science and Software Report35:267. , , , , and
- 1975. Impact ejecta exceeding lunar escape velocity. The Moon13:173–184.
- 2005. Expectations for crater size and photometric evolution from deep impact collision. Space Science Reviews117:207–239. , , and
- 2011. Modeling the morphological diversity of impact craters on icy satellites. Icarus214:67–81. and
- 1963. Hypervelocity impact of steel into Coconino sandstone. American Journal of Science261:668–682. , , , and
- 1975. Experimental hypervelocity impact into quartz sand: Distribution and shock metamorphism of ejecta. Journal of Geophysical Research80:4062–4077. , , , and
- 2011. Weathering behaviour and construction suitability of dimension stones from the Drei Gleichen area (Thuringia, Germany). Environmental Earth Sciences63:1763–1786. , , and
- 1997. Impact jetting of geologic materials. Icarus116:269–274. and