Geological and geophysical investigation of Kamil crater, Egypt
Article first published online: 14 DEC 2012
© The Meteoritical Society, 2012
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 47, Issue 11, pages 1842–1868, November 2012
How to Cite
Urbini, S., Nicolosi, I., Zeoli, A., El Khrepy, S., Lethy, A., Hafez, M., El Gabry, M., El Barkooky, A., Barakat, A., GOMAA, M., Radwan, A. M., El Sharkawi, M., D’orazio, M. and Folco, L. (2012), Geological and geophysical investigation of Kamil crater, Egypt. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 47: 1842–1868. doi: 10.1111/maps.12023
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 14 DEC 2012
- (Received 18 May 2012; revision accepted 09 October 2012)
- 2006. Flow-field center migration during vertical and oblique impacts. International Journal of Impact Engineering33:35–44. and
- 2009. The Canyon Diablo impact event: Projectile motion through the atmosphere. Meteoritics & Planetary Science44:25–42. and
- 2011. The Canyon Diablo impact event: 2. Projectile fate and melting upon impact. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:805–829. and
- 2006. The rate of small impacts on Earth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science41:607–631. and
- 2000. Interpreting the elliptical crater populations on Mars, Venus, and the Moon. Icarus145:108–121. , , , and
- 2005. Earth impact effects program: A web-based computer program for calculating the regional and environmental consequences of a meteoroid impact on Earth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science40:817–840. , , and
- 2012. The impact cratering process. Elements8:25–30. , , and
- 1965. The extraterrestrial origin of the Canadian craters. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences123:941–969.
- 2011. Gebel Kamil: The iron meteorite that formed the Kamil Crater (Egypt). Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:1179–1196. , , , and
- 2001. Crater features diagnostic of oblique impacts: The size and position of the central peak. Geophysical Research Letters28:623–626. and
- 2011. Shocked quartz at the Kamil Crater (Egypt) (abstract #5018). Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:A67. and
- 2010. The Kamil crater in Egypt. Science329:804. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2011. Kamil crater (Egypt): Ground truth for small-scale meteorite impacts on Earth. Geology39:179–182. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1978. Experimental studies of oblique impact. Proceedings, 9th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 3843–3875. and .
- 2004. Determination of the parameters of compact ferro-metallic with transforms of magnitude magnetic anomalies. Journal of Applied Geophysics55:173–186. , , and
- 2001. The terrestrial cratering record. In Accretion of extraterrestrial matter through Earth’s history, edited by Peucker-Ehrenbrink B. and Schmitz B. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers. pp. 379–402.
- 1984. A geometric model for excavation and modification at terrestrial simple impact craters. Journal of Geophysical Research89:11,561–11,572. and
- 2004. Observations at terrestrial impact structures: Their utility in constraining crater formation. Meteoritics & Planetary Science39:199–216. and
- 1996. Detailed data for 259 fireballs from the Canadian camera network and inferences concerning the influx of large meteoroids. Meteoritics & Planetary Science31:185–217. , , and
- 2003. The shape and appearance of craters formed by oblique impact on the Moon and Venus. Meteoritics & Planetary Science38:1551–1578. and
- 2006. The planforms of low-angle impact craters in the northern hemisphere of Mars. Meteoritics & Planetary Science41:1483–1495. and
- 1994. Implications of a global survey of Venusian impact craters. Icarus111:387–416. and
- International Geomagnetic Reference Field. International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, Working Group V-MOD. Participating members: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and 2010. International Geomagnetic Reference Field: The eleventh generation. Geophysical Journal International183(3):1216–1230 doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2010.04804.x.
- 2009. The Carancas meteorite impact crater, Peru: Geologic surveying and modeling of crater formation and atmospheric passage. Meteoritics & Planetary Science44:985–1000. , , , , , and
- 2011. Impact cratering in sandstone: The MEMIN pilot study on the effect of pore water. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:890–902. , , , , , and
- 1980. Age and metamorphic evolution of the basement complex around Gabal Al Uwaynat. In The Geology of Libya, edited by Salem M. J. and Busserawil M. T. London: Academic Press. pp. 901–906.
- 1979. Major subdivisions and depositional environments of Nubia strata, south-western Egypt. American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin63:967–974. , , , and
- 1987. Geological Map of Egypt, 1: 500 000, NF 35 NW, Gilf Kebir Plateau. The Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation. , , and , eds.
- 2010. The Whitecourt meteorite impact crater, Alberta, Canada. Meteoritics & Planetary Science45:1429–1445. , , and
- 1994. Shock experiments on pre-heated α- and β- quartz: I. Optical and density data. Earth and Planetary Science Letters125:407–420. and
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process: Oxford Monographs on Geology and Geophysics 11. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 245 p.
- 2011. Planetary surface processes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 550 p.
- 1974. Multiringed basins—Illustrated by Orientale and associated features. Proceedings, 5th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 71–100. , , and
- 2002. From magnitude to diameters: The albedo distribution of near-Earth objects and the Earth collision hazard. Icarus158:329–343. , , , , and
- 1997. Assessment of the kinetic energy of meteoroids detected by satellite-based light sensors. Icarus130:259–274. , , , , , and
- 1985. Sampling of planetary surfaces by oblique impact jet entrainment (abstract). 16th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 629–630. and
- 2008. Non-impact origin of the crater-like structures in the Gilf Kebir area (Egypt): Implications for the geology of eastern Sahara. Meteoritics & Planetary Science43:1629–1639. , , , , , and
- 1980. Effects of atmospheric breakup on crater field formation. Icarus42:211–233. and
- 2000a. Understanding oblique impacts from experiments, observations and modeling. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences28:141–167. and
- 2000b. Hydrocode modeling of oblique impacts: The fate of the projectile. Meteoritics & Planetary Science.35:117–130. and
- 1977. Size dependence in the shape of fresh impact craters on the Moon. In Impact and Explosion Cratering, edited by Roddy D. J., Pepin R. O., and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 489–509.
- 2009. Rim uplift and crater shape in Meteor Crater: The effects of target heterogeneities and trajectory obliquity. Journal of Geophysical Research114:E01006, doi:10.1029/2008JE003235. , , and
- 1990. Impact spallation experiments: Fracture patterns and spall velocities. Icarus87:140–155. and
- 1997. Historical detection of atmospheric impacts by large bolides using acoustic-gravity waves. Annals of the New York Academy of Science822:284–302.
- 1978. Pre-impact geological conditions, physical properties, energy calculations, meteorite and initial crater dimensions and orientations of joints, faults and walls at Meteor Crater, Arizona. Proceedings, 9th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 3891–3930.
- 1975. Meteor crater, Arizona, rim drilling with thickness, structural uplift, diameter, depth, volume, and massbalance calculations. Proceedings, 6th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2621–2644. , , , and .
- 1987. Outline of the geology of magmatic and metamorphic units between Gebel Uweinat and BirSafsaf (SW Egypt/NW Sudan). Tectonophysics140:233–246. , , and
- 1988. The E Saharan craton: Evidence for pre-Pan-African crust in NE Africa W of the Nile. In The Pan-African belts of NE Africa and adjacent areas, edited by El Gaby S. and Greiling R. O. Weisbaden, Germany: Friedr Viewegand Sohn. pp. 69–94. , , , and
- 1992. Atmospheric effects on ejecta emplacement and crater formation on Venus from Magellan. Journal of Geophysical Research97:16,183–16,248.
- 1985. Clustered impacts—Experiments and implications. Journal of Geophysical Research90:3701–3732. and
- 1982. Grazing impacts on Mars: A record of lost satellites. Journal of Geophysical Research87:A84–A96. and
- 1963. Impact mechanics at Meteor Crater, Arizona. In The Moon, meteorites, and comets, edited by Middlehurst B. M. and Kuiber G. P. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. pp. 301–336.
- 2011. Ejecta deposition after oblique impacts: An influence of impact scale. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:1713–1718.
- 1994. U-Pb (zircon) ages for the gneissic terrane west of Nile, southern Egypt. Geologische Rundschau83:514–522. , , , , and
- 2009. A meteorite crater on Earth formed on September 15, 2007: The Carancas hypervelocity impact. Meteoritics & Planetary Science44:1967–1984. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2010. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 98, September. Meteoritics & Planetary Science45:1530–1551. , , , , , , , and