Crater morphology in sandstone targets: The MEMIN impact parameter study
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 50–70, January 2013
How to Cite
DUFRESNE, A., POELCHAU, M. H., KENKMANN, T., DEUTSCH, A., HOERTH, T., SCHÄFER, F. and THOMA, K. (2013), Crater morphology in sandstone targets: The MEMIN impact parameter study. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 48: 50–70. doi: 10.1111/maps.12024
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
- (Received 16 March 2012; revision accepted 04 October 2012)
- 2005. Spider impact structure, Kimberley Plateau, Western Australia: Interpretations of formation mechanism and age based on integrated map-scale data. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences52:653–664.
- 1993. Impact-induced tensile failure in rock. Journal of Geophysical Research98:1185–1203. and
- 2004. Dynamic tensile strength of terrestrial rocks and application to impact cratering. Meteoritics & Planetary Science39:233–246. and
- 2007. Laboratory impacts into dry and wet sandstone with and without an overlying water layer: Implications for scaling laws and projectile survivability. Meteoritics & Planetary Science42:1905–1914. , , , and
- 1972. Dynamic fracture criteria for ductile and brittle metals. Journal of Materials7:393–401. , , , and
- 2007. Non-intrusive measurements of crater growth. Icarus188:506–521. , , , , and
- 1948. Explosives with lined cavities. Journal of Applied Physics19:563–582. , , , and
- 2013. Deformation of dry and wet sandstone targets during hyper-velocity impact experiments, as revealed from the MEMIN program. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01431.x. , , , and
- 1998. Hypervelocity impact experiments on solid CO2 targets. Icarus131:210–222. , , , and
- 2008. Dynamic modeling suggests terrace zone asymmetry in the Chicxulub crater is caused by target heterogeneity. Earth and Planetary Science Letters270:221–230. , , , , , , , and
- 1991. Evaluating the strength and deformability of sandstones. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology24:123–134. and
- 2010. The Kamil crater in Egypt. Science329:804. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1980. On the mechanism of catastrophic destruction of minor planets by high-velocity impact. Icarus41:356–364.
- 1977. Destruction of basaltic bodies by high-velocity impact. Icarus31:277–288. , , and
- 1973. Displaced mass, depth, diameter, and effects of oblique trajectories for impact craters formed in dense crystalline rocks. The Moon6:32–44.
- 1966. Luna 9 photographs: Evidence for a fragmental surface layer. Science53:985–988. , , and
- 1968. Impact cratering mechanics and structures. In Shock metamorphism of natural materials, edited by French B. M. and Short N. M. Baltimore, Maryland: Mono Book Corp. pp. 87–100. , , and
- 1988. Spallation as an effect of laser-induced shock waves. Journal of Materials Science23:1825–1828. , , , , , and
- 2003. Hypervelocity impact cratering on water ice targets at temperatures ranging from 100 K to 253 K. Journal of Geophysical Research108:5019. doi:10.1029/2002JE001899. and
- 2001. Laboratory investigations of the temperature dependence of hypervelocity impact cratering in ice. Advanced Space Research28:1527–1532. , , and
- 1987. Terrestrial impact structures. Annual Reviews in Earth and Planetary Sciences15:245–270.
- 1997. Practical estimates of rock mass strength. International Journal of Rock Mechanics34:1165–1186. and
- 2013. Hypervelocity impacts on dry and wet sandstones: Observations of ejecta dynamics and crater growth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12044. , , , , , and
- 1980. The equivalent depth of burst for impact cratering. Proceedings, 11th Lunar Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2379–2401.
- 1993. The scaling of impact processes in planetary sciences. Annual Reviews in Earth and Planetary Sciences21:333–373.
- 1982. On the scaling of crater dimensions—2. Impact processes. Journal of Geophysical Research87:1849–1870. and
- 1969. Structural and mineralogical evaluation of an experimentally produced impact crater in granite. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology21:365–377.
- 1993. Hypervelocity penetration tracks in very low-density, porous targets. In Hypervelocity impacts in space, edited by McDonnell J. A. M. Canterbury, UK: Unit for Space Sciences University of Kent at Canterbury. pp. 19–23. , , and
- 1995. Penetration experiments in aluminium 1100 targets using soda-lime glass projectiles. NASA Technical Memorandum 104813. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office. , , , , , , , and
- 1981. Dynamic fracture and spallation in ductile solids. Journal of Applied Physics52:2812–2825.
- 2006. Target delamination by spallation and ejecta dragging: An example from the Ries crater’s periphery. Earth and Planetary Science Letters252:15–29. and
- 2000. Identification of ancient impact structures: Low-angle normal faults and related geological features of crater basements. In Impacts and the early Earth, edited by Gilmour I. and Koeberl C. Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 91:271–309. , , and
- 2011. Impact cratering in sandstone: The MEMIN pilot study and the effect of pore water. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:890–902. , , , , , and
- 2005. Aorounga and Gweni Fada impact structures, Chad: Remote sensing, petrography, and geochemistry of target rocks. Meteoritics & Planetary Science40:1455–1471. , , , , and
- 1987. Impact experiments in low-temperature ice. Icarus69:506–518. and
- 1984. Impact cratering and spall failure of gabbro. Icarus58:383–395. , , and
- 1993. Target porosity effects in impact cratering and collisional disruption. Icarus105:216–224. , , and
- 1977. Crater modification by gravity: A mechanical analysis of slumping. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by Roddy D. J., Pepin R. O., and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 1245–1260.
- 1984. Impact ejection, spallation, and the origin of meteorites. Icarus59:234–260.
- 1989. Impact cratering—A geological process. New York: Oxford University Press. 245 p.
- 1999. Impact crater collapse. Annual Reviews of Earth and Planetary Sciences27:385–415. and
- 1994. Dynamic behavior of materials . New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 668 p.
- 1962. Experimental hypervelocity impact craters in rock. USGS Administrative Report . , , and
- 2004. Effect of strain rate and water saturation for the dynamic tensile strength of rocks. Materials Science Forum465–466:361–366. , , , and
- 1993. Planetary cratering mechanics. Journal of Geophysical Research98:17011–17028. and
- 2009. Rim uplift and crater shape in Meteor Crater: Effects of target heterogeneity and trajectory obliquity. Journal of Geophysical Research114:E01006. , , and
- 2013. The MEMIN research unit: Scaling impact experiments in porous sandstone. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12016. , , , , , and
- 1990. Impact spallation experiments: Fracture patterns and spall velocities. Icarus87:140–155. and
- the MEMIN Team. 2006. Impact experiments in dry and wet sandstone. Proceedings of the ESLAB-40: First International Conference on Impact Cratering in the Solar System. ESA Special Publication 612. , , , , , , , and
- 1987. Some recent advances in the scaling of impact and explosion cratering. International Journal of Impact Engineering5:543–560. and
- 2005. Expectations for crater size and photometric evolution from the deep impact impact collision. Space Science Reviews117:207–239. , , and
- 1960. Penetration mechanics of high velocity meteorites, illustrated by Meteor Crater, Arizona. 21st International Geological Congress Rep. Session Norden. pp. 418–434.
- 1974. Guidebook to the geology of Meteor Crater, Arizona. Tempe: Centre for Meteorite Studies, Arizona State University. 66 p. and
- 2005. Geology of five small Australian impact craters. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences54:529–544. , , and
- 2002. Velocity scaling of impact craters in water ice over the range 1 to 7.3 km s−1. Icarus155:475–485. , , and
- 2013. Ejection behavior characteristics of experimental impacts into dry and wet sandstone: Results from the MEMIN research unit. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12017. , , , , , , , , and
- 2011. Weathering behavior and construction suitability of dimension stones from the Drei Gleichen area (Thuringia, Germany). Environmental Earth Sciences63:1763–1786. , , and
- 1970. The influence of moisture content on the pre-rupture fracturing of two rock types. Proceedings of the 2nd Congress of the International Society of Rock Mechanics, Belgrade3:239–245.
- 2006. A strain-based porosity model for use in hydrocode simulations of impacts and implications for transient crater growth in porous targets. Icarus180:514–527. , , and
- 2006. Transient crater growth in granular targets: An experimental study of low velocity impacts into glass sphere targets. Icarus183:215–224. , , , and