Hypervelocity impacts on dry and wet sandstone: Observations of ejecta dynamics and crater growth
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 23–32, January 2013
How to Cite
HOERTH, T., SCHÄFER, F., THOMA, K., KENKMANN, T., POELCHAU, M. H., LEXOW, B. and DEUTSCH, A. (2013), Hypervelocity impacts on dry and wet sandstone: Observations of ejecta dynamics and crater growth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 48: 23–32. doi: 10.1111/maps.12044
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
- (Received 29 March 2012; revision accepted 07 November 2012)
- 2003. Asymmetry of ejecta flow during oblique impacts using three-dimensional particle image velocimetry. Journal of Geophysical Research108:5094–5103. , , and
- 2004. Experimental ejection angles for oblique impacts: Implications for the subsurface flow-field. Meteoritics & Planetary Science39:303–320. , , and
- 2007. Laboratory impacts into dry and wet sandstone with and without an overlying water layer: Implications for scaling laws and projectile survivability. Meteoritics & Planetary Science42:1905–1914. , , , and
- 1996. Ejecta entrainment by impact-generated ring vortices: Theory and experiments. Journal of Geophysical Research101:99–115. and
- 2007. Non-intrusive measurements of crater growth. Icarus188:506–521. , , , , and
- 2003. Oblique incidence hypervelocity impacts on rock. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society341:192–198. and
- 1971. Influence of water in rocks on effects of underground nuclear explosions. Journal of Geophysical Research76:1993–2011.
- 1999. Ejection-velocity distributions from impacts into coarse-grained sand. Meteoritics & Planetary Science34:605–623. , , and
- 2007. Numerical modeling of impact ejection processes in porous targets (abstract #1789). 38th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and .
- 2013. Crater morphology in sandstone targets: the MEMIN impact parameter study. Meteoritics & Planetary Science47. This issue. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Chemical modification of projectile residues and target material in a MEMIN cratering experiment. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.1429.x. , , , and
- 2007. Evolution of the deep impact flash. Implications for the nucleus surface based on laboratory experiments. Icarus190:334–344. and
- 1994. Shock wave profile study of tuff from the Nevada Test Site. Journal of Geophysical Research99:15529–15537. , , and
- 1973. Displaced mass, depth, diameter, and effects of oblique trajectories for impact craters formed in dense crystalline rocks. The Moon6:32–44.
- 1963. Spray ejected from the lunar surface. NASA Technical Note D-1767. , , and .
- 1980. Impact cratering in viscous targets: Laboratory experiments. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2075–2097. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Early-stage ejecta velocity distribution for vertical hypervelocity impacts into sand. Icarus209:866–870. and
- 2011. Time-resolved studies of hypervelocity vertical impacts into porous particulate targets: Effects of projectile density on early-time coupling and crater growth. Icarus216:269–279. and
- 1993. The scaling of impact processes in planetary sciences. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Science21:333–373.
- 2007. A crater and its ejecta: An interpretation of deep impact. Icarus187:345–356. and
- 1987. Point source solutions and coupling parameters in cratering mechanics. Journal of Geophysical Research92:6350–6376. and
- 1969. Structural and mineralogical evaluation of an experimentally produced impact crater in granite. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology21:365–377.
- 1992. Crater ejecta velocities for impacts on rocky bodies. Proceedings, 23rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 555–556. .
- 2011. Ejecta from impact craters. Icarus211:856–875. and
- 1983. Crater ejecta scaling laws: Fundamental forms based on dimensional analysis. Journal of Geophysical Research88:2485–2499. , , and
- 2011. Impact cratering in sandstone: The MEMIN pilot study on the effect of pore water. Meteoritics & Planetary Science46:890–902. , , , , , and
- 1980. The role of volatiles and lithology in the impact cratering process. Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics18:143–181. and
- 1984. Impact cratering and spall failure of gabbro. Icarus58:383–395. , , and
- 2013. The extra-large light-gas gun of the Fraunhofer EMI: Applications for impact cratering research. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2012.01427.x. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Impact ejection, spallation and the origin of meteorites. Icarus59:234–260.
- 2007. Ejecta velocity distribution for impact cratering experiments on porous and low strength targets. Planetary and Space Science55:70–88. , , , and
- 2012. Application of non-destructive testing methods to study the damage zone underneath impact craters of MEMIN laboratory experiments. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12000. , , , and .
- 1980. Formation of bowl-shaped craters. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2129–2144. .
- 2013. The MEMIN research unit: Scaling impact cratering experiments in porous sandstones. Meteoritics & Planetary Science48, doi: 10.1111/maps.12016. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Impact spallation experiments: Fracture patterns and spall velocities. Icarus87:140–155. and
- MEMIN-Team. 2006. Impact experiments on dry and wet sandstone. Proceedings, 40th ESLAB Symposium. ESA Special Publication #612. , , , , , , , and the
- 1987. Some recent advances in scaling of impact and explosion cratering. International Journal of Impact Engineering5:543–560. and
- 1992. Atmospheric effects on ejecta emplacement. Journal of Geophysical Research97:623–662.
- 1996. Effect of impact angle on vaporization. Journal of Geophysical Research101:117–136.
- 2005. Expections for crater size and photometric evolution from the deep impact collision. Space Science Reviews117:207–239. , , and
- 2008. Impact crater formation in icy layered terrains on Mars. Meteoritics & Planetary Science43:1993–2013. and
- 1963. Hypervelocity impact of steel into Coconino sandstone. American Journal of Science261:668–682. , , , and
- 2012. Ejection behavior characteristics of experimental impacts into dry and wet sandstone. Meteoritics & Planetary Science47. This issue. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1994. Shock metamorphism of quartz in nature and experiment: I. Basic observation and theory. Meteoritics & Planetary Science29:155–181. and
- 2005. Velocity distributions of high-velocity ejecta from regolith targets. Icarus178:264–273. , , , and
- 2006. Transient crater growth in granular targets: An experimental study of low velocity impacts into glass sphere targets. Icarus183:215–224. , , , and